[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does think of audio books? I use my phone's WiFi to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20151005_185100.jpg (4 MB, 2304x4096) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151005_185100.jpg
4 MB, 2304x4096
What does think of audio books? I use my phone's WiFi to listen lectures , talks and interviews but feel like audio books must cheapen their source.

How much worse if at all is it to use audiobooks instead of text
>>
Audiobooks are for kids. It's the adult version of listening to bedtime stories.
>>
>>7389937
>How much worse if at all is it to use audiobooks instead of text

Pretty fucking huge difference. It's the difference between actively engaging in a text and passively listening to a voice. Audiobooks are for lazy soccermoms who only want something to listen to while commuting to work.
>>
>>7389975
The only time I used an audiobook it was after each book of paridise lost. I would read the book then later listen to it to hear the poetry of the words and reinforce my first reading.

Other than that I think they are stupid, might as well watch tv.
>>
>>7389949
This. Though it can be okay for poetry.
>>
I like history audiobooks. They make me fall asleep fast and also you don't have to worry if you miss some small part. You can always continue listening.
>>
Great for car rides. That's the only place I can stand genre-fiction.
>>
>>7390111
I listened to my first audio book on 2 12 hour car rides. It was much better than music
I only use audio books for genre fiction
>>
>>7389937
Good beer anon. I don't drink much beer but Stella is nice/
>>
Every time I try listening to a poetry reading I find that they butcher it

I like to hear poets read their own poems, though. To hear Tennyson read his own Charge of the Light Brigade or Pound his 45th Canto is an experience. I find that poets, in general, have a good sense for how poetry sounds. They don't read dramatically or conversationally, they read poetically.
>>
I listen to way more audiobooks than I like to admit
mostly for 'classics' I can't be bothered to actively read
>>
Does anyone else enjoy listening to the audio book while reading the text?
>>
>>7390730
Only audiobooks I've enjoyed were George Guidall reading Kafka. I don't recommend it for your first read, but if you've already read The Trial, The Castle, or Amerika, I cannot recommend it enough. Guidall NAILS Kafka. I think his readings have actually given me a better appreciation for the works when I read it now.
>>
File: IMG_20150123_170334.jpg (4 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150123_170334.jpg
4 MB, 4096x2304
OP here, I'm glad to see this topic catching a bit of attention.

I'm definitely not advocating a preference for one over the other, but I feel as if its best to make use of what little time I have to try and appreciate /lit/ rather than music. Granted, I often listen to and admire great classical pieces, and there can be almost as much merit in that, but I feel as if books that are less about the architecture of prose than about the STORY can be great for listening.

There doesn't seem to be an abundance of lectures or study material i can listen to when cleaning/walking around so audiobooks seems the way to go. I'm thinking of going through Tom Sawyer on audio since I take it that its a more straight forward writing style.

If there're better resources that aren't a waste of time then recommend em if you'd like. I've listened to a ton of philosophy lectures, author interviews and a few on Harold Bloom so far.

>>7390476
Listening to good live poetry is pretty awesome, I've only done it once or twice but it was a well-worthy experience

>>7390246
Stella is a good beer, but not so much in a can. Pic related is my favorite stuff outta Quebec.
>>
>>7389937
Audiobooks of detective stories are the fucking bomb. It's like listening to a radioplay.
>>
>>7390744
I've read Trial and Metamorphosois and audioed The Castle and content wise I can't say that I felt like I've lost anything. Audiobooks work with everything that has a plot and doesn't constantly derail like pomo.
>>
>>7390768
radio play is fucking under rated desu, it needs some revitalization though
>>
I listen to the longer books, stuff like The Count of Monty Cristo.

Non-fiction ones has to read, especially philosophy. People that actually know how to write well like Pynchon and Nabokov should be read too, including ones that actually have something of a vocabulary to work with.

But for the majority of books that I ahve listened to I find no real fault in the format, it's very relaxing when you've been reading all day and still want to read but feel like your eyes need a rest.

>People and their value pretentious judgements.

Rec audiobooks with good voice actors please.
>>
>>7390476
I found a reading of one of Ezra Pound's poems once and five seconds in I went "who is this faggot butchering the poem?"

and then I realized it was Pound
a strikingly similar thing happened the first time I heard Eliot read The Waste Land

pleb as it may be, I think I prefer my internal narration
>>
>>7389949
I listen to the audio book only if ive read the book already but amnt arsed reading it again
>>
Fuck anyone who thinks less of you for using audiobooks to read. Because of them, I'm on book 12 for the month, and will likely finish 13. I read way more than most faggots talking shit about audiobooks.
>>
>>7391159
You didn't read 12 books, you heard 12 books. It's like bragging that you heard 12 podcasts in one month; it takes no effort whatsoever to do.
>>
>>7391192

Calories burned sitting on the couch reading: 80/hr
Calories burned while on the treadmill reading via audiobook, exercising your mind and body at the same time: 600/hr

Stay mad, fatty.
>>
>>7389937
I listen to them on youtube if I'm doing something repetitive, but I find the readers usually sound cheesy, like, fake earnest, for whatever fucking reason
>>
File: mOnvOJG[1].png (298 KB, 2271x2380) Image search: [Google]
mOnvOJG[1].png
298 KB, 2271x2380
>>7390744
>mfw when there exists gravity's rainbow audiobook read by Guidall
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.