[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is tragedy a higher form of art than comedy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: tragedy and comedy.jpg (38 KB, 489x381) Image search: [Google]
tragedy and comedy.jpg
38 KB, 489x381
Why is tragedy a higher form of art than comedy?
>>
>>7388445
Is it?
>>
You're the one who thinks it, you tell us.
>>
>>7388445
What did they call the Greek who made the best jokes?
Aristo-funnies
>>
>>7388445
Because it depicts reality and the dualistic human nature in an efficient way.

Comedy is just entertainment. With some exceptions of course
>>
>>7388445
/lit/ - literature
>>
>>7388525
>implying representing the dualistic human nature in an efficient way can't be funny as shit.
>>
>>7388495
ok i laughed a little
>>
File: 1435177231700.gif (481 KB, 499x315) Image search: [Google]
1435177231700.gif
481 KB, 499x315
nah
>>
>>7388445
Because of the chorus in greek tragedy made it possible for the writer to comment on his own play. This gives us a new level in the story with more possibilities of intellectual content.
>>
>>7390000
>implying a tragedy can't be funny
>>
>>7388445

Because it's usually funnier.
>>
>>7388445
Why not both? A tragedy with comedy for contrast makes both have richer flavor.
>>
ITT people misunderstand the basic definition of comedy
>>
>>7390082
A tragedy and a comedy have different structures.
A tragedy can be funny and a comedy can have tragic events, but the way the story progresses and ends determines whether it is a tragedy or a comedy.
>>
>>7388445

I think negative views in general are more authentic because the natural state of the universe is death, which everything moves towards.
>>
File: faglord.jpg (114 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
faglord.jpg
114 KB, 1440x1080
>>7390154
ayy lmao
>>
>>7388445
It isn't. Comedy is just another form of absurdity.
>>
Hegel and Zizek saw the other way around:

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/17/zizek.php
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.