[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about pic related? Also, where are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (24 KB, 285x352) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
24 KB, 285x352
What does /lit/ think about pic related?

Also, where are some good sources on him? I have to give a tribute speech and chose him as my tribute.
>>
he's dope. read the hound. but he was a bastard in life
>>
>>7388421
I dont really read, but the genre he created seems great because Cthulu n shit.

Fuck, I wish I could get back into reading.
>>
File: cthulhu.gif (256 KB, 927x684) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu.gif
256 KB, 927x684
>>7388371

He was riddled with prejudices and fear. In his defense, however, he did have a sort of messed up up-bringing.

He is the precursor to modern horror and an inheritor of the strange tale.

Any of the cited references here should be good:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft
>>
File: EchPeeEL.jpg (687 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
EchPeeEL.jpg
687 KB, 2448x3264
I like him but he's definitely an acquired taste.
H. P. Lovecraft: A Life by S.T. Joshi is a good resource. There's another biography by Sprage De Camp but there's alot of erroneous info there.
>>
>>7388371
Read the bios he wrote about himself.
>>
So fucking reddit it hurts
>>
The purplest of goddamn prose. The writing is seriously just so fucking awful desu imo. But still he had good ideas. Like how interracial breeding is bad.
>>
Lovecraft's mythology is actually quite well explained and very extense, i realized this recently.

I find very interesting the fact that he described with such depth the whole world of madness his books dive in, the whole deal about the chaos gods and different creatures. Which all have one purpose, to destroy the insignificant human race.

It makes me think of how small and unexistent we are as a planet, in comparison to the whole universe.

Mankind's madness is nothing to these gods of destruction..
>>
>>7388506
Please expand on your statement, other than how Cthulu became a meme.
>>
>>7388512
>The purplest of goddamn prose
It's atmospheric.
>>
>>7388371
> pre 1922
Adjective spamming, Poe influenced author with good enough tales to pass the editors looking for weird fiction tales.

> Post 1922
The cool shit began to boil up after returning from New York.

> Himself
Xenophobe, racist, clever descriptions on the unknown, fathered one of the most popular mythos legacies around. Unstabile as fuck due to the upbringing and introverted withdrawal.

> Best
Rats in the Wall, Colour out of Space, The Hound, Dunwich Horror, Whispers in Darkness, ATMoM.

> Worst
Polaris, Old Bugs, The Outsider, The Festival.
>>
>>7388371
DUDE THE NIGGER POEM LMAO
>>
harry potter lovecraft?
>>
>>7388371
Had problems with his prose.
Was very repetative.
Couldn't write characters very wel.
Was real spooky.
A fun read.
>>
>>7388512
>The purplest of goddamn prose
what this mean
>>
Couldn't get into it, the prose is awful
>>
>>7388371
Tribute Speech for what?
A college class?
>>
>>7388371
I dont know how or why normies are starting to like it, it was supposed to be special
>>
File: Capture.jpg (128 KB, 679x444) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
128 KB, 679x444
Cthulhu Rlyeh! I love him. But the weird thing is that I love him because I discovered him AFTER discovering Lord Dunsany, who is a huge influence on the early stuff like The Rats of Ulthar. Dunsany is an Irish Lord who is writing the same time as Yeats, but he writes a sort of ghostly Lewis Carroll type of tale... it's like Maeterlinck, maybe. It's always set in some fantasy la-la land where the characters have weird magical events happening FOR NO REASON, like a Henry Darger painting almost. It's just... strange. And then Lovecraft sees that, it's not strange, it's actually kind of scary. And he sort of re-invents Gothic as a new kind of American genre. Something which is frightened of something huge and mindless and absolutely incomprehensible. I see Cthulhu as the metempsychotic revenge on Sigmund Freud for dissecting all those eels trying to castrate them (literally). Cthulhu is the Return of everything Sigmund Freud repressed.
>>
>>7388371
P. juvenile desu, and senpai, that dried up prose, no-no.
>>
>>7390941
It means it's not invisible style, therefore it is bad.
>>
Clark Ashton Smith did basically the same thing only infinitely better.
>>
>>7392097
Only partially. When Lovecraft was doing his Dreamlands and other fantasy stories, then Klarkash's stories were superior. But Lovecraft's cosmic horror stories are not really comparable.
>>
>>7388421
he was respectful, kind, and well-mannered at all times though

i also want to say that st joshi is a faggot
>>
>>7392512
Why is he a faggot?
>>
>>7388428
Why don't you?
>>
Was this board always that awful?
First time revisiting in about a year
>>
>>7388371

Quit reading so much Sci-Fi and Horror and Superhero capeshit, you neckbeard fucks.

No one needs any more near future, zombie apocalypse, vigilante justice good man gone bad stories. For fuck's sake. Fuck.
>>
>>7392803

It's definitely declined.

Hiroshima forcefully displaced philosophy and humanities discussion to /his/, upon its creation.

I don't think the rule is really enforced, but it does fucking suck nonetheless.
>>
>>7388515
>Which all have one purpose, to destroy the insignificant human race.
Nah, not really. The point is that humans can't even comprehend the motives of the elder beings. They're not hell bent on destroying the human race, they just don't give a shit.
>>
>>7388428

Cthulhu is pop culture is not the same as in the actual story
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.