[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books you hated that everyone loved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 288x175) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 288x175
I hated the second and third book of the hunger games and some of the Harry Potter books. I also hated 1984 and the mist.
Pic unrelated
>>
>>
Book of Disquiet

I'm a canon-whore and heard good things about it from both NEETs and normies. After reading it I kind of realized I'm neither. It was unbearable and I love exit-level literature.
>>
>>7384668
Huck Finn. Couldn't even finish the book and had to get spark notes so I could pass that unit.
>>
>>7384717
This.
Had to read it for AP Lit and Comp, couldn't stand that 95% of the book is sailing down a river and the word nigger.
The King and Duke arch was OK, and the speech on being a man by Hepburn was cool, but on the whole the book is garbage.
>>
>>7384668
Candide. It was so unbearably smug that reading it would put it me in a bad mood for the rest of the day.
>>
I found In Cold Blood a bit of a drag.
PuddnHead Wilson is one of the worst I've ever read.
I was really stoked on this old chick named Ivy-Compton Burnett because one of my fav writers liked her and the she's been reprinted by the nyrb, which was the house that published my copy of Stoner. So far she's been unreadable tho.
>>
>Unlesses Dan DeLillos
>Brandy's Rainbows by Thumbass Pinching
>666 x 2 by Bob Blanco
>The Cerebal Palso Rises by Hen's-nest Flemishgay
>Insurgencies Cost Time by Caramel Yeast
>Improper Jezebel by Dave
>me memes by me

These were all absolute shit in comparison to what I expected for each which due to the hype circulated round this discussion board was a hole fucking lot tbhfam.
>>
>>7384931
[sic] meme-ing BRO.
>>
>>7384945

Thanks, you meme?
>>
>>7384931
This post is so shitty it's actually kind of good
>>
>>7384668
Life is a Dream, by Calderón de la Barca. Hate the writing of that fucking overrated kek.
>>
You guys just don't fucking get it. Jesus. I mean, how can so many people posing to be so many things get so much so wrong so often and so completely implausibly? I just can't even begin to grasp the grease soaked truth that is all of your undeniable pads of intellectual shoulder meat that you braise in the overly reductive bourdelaise sauce stirred by nature's nefarious specter of gloom and his sommelier buddy George who's just here for the weekend.

I mean, FUCK. You guys just think that you're all the tartest in the smarties bag don't cha? Just the shiniest scalp at the old people's home? Just the wettest pair of panties at church, huh? The deadest joke ITT, yeah?

Well You've got at least one other thing coming your way from my way that you didn't see coming your way cuz they call me Nighthawk.

Remember that name.

Nighthawk will strike with his [my] tumescent talons, my scalpael sharp talons of justice and pugnity, forged from Haepheastean steel and made with the finest oils made from God's most delicous of fish in the clearest sea on the shore with the most beautiful Brazilian women who you can't even really tell have had kids because for some reason that skin just snaps back like a fresh leathercowhide rubber band made of the freshes mozambiquean rubber (that's where they get the best rubber).

NIGHTHAWK: prowler of truth and sanctifier.
>>
>>7385018
No, you JUST don't fucking get it. Get it?
>>
>>7385190

You're right, man, I don't. I've been trying so hard my whole life just to fit in, to be funny, liked–dare I say?–loved. Ever since I watched my Dad tell me straightfaced and solemn: "Son, you got two types of people in life: losers, and, well, I don't need to tell you the second type because it won't do you much good, son." I've been dead. Not literally, because I can still type and stuff, but figuratively, or metaphorically, dead. Just all dead inside where live stuff's like hearts and brains are supposed to be. Y'know? It's like we have all these massive, seemingly inconsolable expectations thrust upon us and what? Are we supposed to just embrace la via dolorosa and like Christ carry the cross? Bear the burden? Well, you know what, I say FUCK IT. I DON'T GET IT. I NEVER WILL. I'M JUST A POOR JOE SHMOH FROM CINCINNATI WITH A FAT DICK AND A DEGREE IN AUTOMITIVE DESIGN FROM ITT TECH AND I DONT GIVE A FUCK! THAT'S RIGHT! NO FUCKS GIVEN FROM MY CORONER'S CORNER OF THE GLOBULAR GLOBE KNOWN AS IPASINA.

Nevermind, I care AGAIN.
>>
>>7384668
Did you hate harry potter as an adult? That just makes sense.
Never read hunger games but 1984 and animal farm are just bland no matter what you take from them. And the ending to the mist pissed me the fuck off.
>>
>>7384668
Harry potter.
>>
TKAM
>>
>>7384668
>ever considering hunger games literature
Next we will be discussing literary merits of The Twilight, I presume.
>>
>>7384862
Same. That book's a fucking trial to get through.
>>
>>7384668
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. Had to read it for my Freshman English course.
>>
I really like realism in literature, from non-fiction to narrative prose. I also enjoy complex plots plainly revealed detective story style. So while I love Roth I cant stand pynchon or joyce. I dont like when the author plays games with prose unless its subtle or not so subtle punning like nabakov. I also hate when authors do shit like Faulkner when he tries to write like black people talk. Hence a lot of classics are turned off for me.
>>
>>7384668
>I hated the second and third book of the hunger games
Why the fuck did you read ANY book of this? Is the userbase of /lit/ really this underageb&?
>>
>>7386257
/lit/ and /fit/ have hugely diverse age ranges from my experience.
>>
>>7384880
>In Cold Blood
Yep. It just kept dragging on and on about the family.
>666 x 2 by Bob Blanco
This book needs to be removed from the meme trilogy. It's so god damn boring.

A book I really don't understand the hype over is Cat's Cradle.
Everyone loves that book but I think Slaughterhouse is 100x better.
Hell I think Deadeye Dick is better than that piece of shit.
>>
What a load of tripe this shit was, couldn't even finish it.
>>
File: cant moilhas the mailhos.jpg (56 KB, 995x900) Image search: [Google]
cant moilhas the mailhos.jpg
56 KB, 995x900
>>7384931
good posting there mate
>>
>>7384668
The Master and Margarita. I get it, Stalinist Russia was a shithole.
>>
>>7384931
can someone please translate these
I don't know what 666 x 2 and Insurgencies Cost Time are supposed to be
>>
>>7384668
I read The Lovely Bones for my Junior paper some years ago
My teacher adored it but I fucking hated it
The dead girl keeps getting random ghost powers, the dad had no good reason to suspect the neighbor of his daughter's murder, and Alice Sebold has some pretty weird views of sex. One of the scenes at the end involves the dead girl taking over another girl's body and fucking that girl's boyfriend. And the boyfriend knows that it's the dead girl for no reason, yet is still cool with fucking her.
Shit book, IMO.
>>
>>7388061
Not sure about insurgencies, but I think 666 × 2 is 2666 by Roberto Bolaño
>>
>>7384931
Maybe you should try reading Earth's Cultivation by Cunt Handon.
>>
File: you.jpg (32 KB, 500x587) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
32 KB, 500x587
>>7385662
>Next we will be discussing literary merits of The Twilight, I presume.
>>
>>7384710
>exit-level literature
kill yourself, as they say
>>
Kurt Vonnegut
>>
>>7384874
Spotted the pleb
>>
Dracula.

I fucking hate Dracula.
>>
>>7389441
This. It becomes a real slog after Lucy's story is resolved. I know it is effectively a genre fiction book, but I was at least hoping for some good action. The first half provides this, but definitely not the second.
>>
>>7388061
in search of lost time
>>
fucking catcher in the rye, literally went fucking nowhere! just a story about a kid who ducks outta boarding school a few days early only to end up spending the whole time bitching about how he hates his shitty little life! load of bollox
>>
>>7385230
My mom left me at a car dealership when I was seven. I never met my dad. I tracked him down once. He changed his phone number. Get over it you pathetic little shit. Nobody cares.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.