[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's your countrys most well regarded literary figure?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: frye.jpg (69 KB, 417x504) Image search: [Google]
frye.jpg
69 KB, 417x504
Who's your countrys most well regarded literary figure?
>Canada
Pic related or Margaret Atwood
>>
I've tried to read Frye and Atwood, and I must say, being Canadian kinda sucks

but, in all honesty, our most important "literary" figure is probably Leonard Cohen
>>
>>7385864
This is embarrassing.
>>
>>7385864
HE OFFERED HER AN ORGY
IN A MANY MIRRORED ROOM
>>
>>7385864
>being Canadian kinda sucks

It's doubly worse when they force us to appreciate Canadian culture. Like they have all this Canadian culture lying around, and they know we think it's lame, but they say we have to appreciate it anyway.

I remember in senior year high school we had do to book assignments on Canadian authors, and only one author was assigned to one student so after Atwood and Munro and Davies were taken, there was pretty much no one left. The teacher recommended to me this YA book about this teenager solving a dumb mystery in the prairies. I forget what it's called, but I just talked about how it reinforces our proud Canadian fortitude or something, and I got an A on it.

Not /lit/ related, but I also hate the Canadian content quota on our radio and tv stations. Had to put up with so many shitty Canadian cartoons growing up when I just wanted to watch the American shows.
>>
>>7385864
Frye is based as fuck. Atwood is OK.

Cohen is overrated. Joni Mitchell and Neil Young have more writing talent than he does. I guess he's better than Dylan, at least.

Sunshine Sketches of a Small Town and Autobiography of Red are the best Canadian works I've read.
>>
>>7385951
Heartland is a great show.
>>
>>7385951
Bizarre

Here in burgerland I feel like educational institutions seek out foreign authors to diversify educational efforts, for better or for worse. Also many works seem to critique American government and motivations.
>>
>>7384065
>Norway
Henrik Ibsen
Knut Hamsun
>>
File: mr nobel.jpg (757 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
mr nobel.jpg
757 KB, 2560x1536
>>
Tao Lin
Get rekt literary world!!!
>>
You mean inside or outside of it?
>>
>Prose
Väinö Linna
Mika Waltari
(Aleksis Kivi)

>Poetry
Eino Leino
V. A. Koskenniemi
(J. L. Runeberg)

>Theatre
Minna Canth
Hella Wuolijoki

>Patrish
Volter Kilpi
Edith Södergran
>>
>>7386037
I really wanna read Waltari but he's out of print in English, apparently.

Hard to find a french copy.
>>
File: kierkegaard.jpg (21 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
kierkegaard.jpg
21 KB, 240x240
>>7384065

Undisputed Master Troll 1845-present.
>>
>>7386055

I'm sure The Egyptian at least will be quite easy to find second-hand. Abebooks seems to even have a few French copies as well.
>>
File: kierkegaard2.jpg (29 KB, 315x375) Image search: [Google]
kierkegaard2.jpg
29 KB, 315x375
>>7386083
It's a toss-up between Kierkegaard and H.C. Andersen. I was near Andersen's home in Odense a few months back for the first time and was surprised there were actual tourists there, Asians nonetheless.
Have you read Enten-eller? Gyldendal has a two volume set which I'm considering buying.
>>
>>7386037
Frans Eemil Sillanpää?
>>
>>7386146

He is respected, but not nearly to the degree that Linna is. Waltari is also more popular than Sillanpää and Kivi is more important historically.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 313x411) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 313x411
>>
>>7386199
swagger
>>
Tranströmer I guess. Unless you mean by people in general and not just the literati, in which case it's probably Lindgren lol.
>>
>>7386208
Oh come on, Strindberg and Lagerlöf should also be included at the very least.
>>
wow Is Finnish literature as big as these guys are making it seem?
>>
>>7386222
OP's question was in the singular.
>>
>>7386242
Only to Finns
>>
>>7386208
Turbo pleb spotted holy shit
>>
>>7386260
You do understand that the question was about who's the most well regarded, not one's own favorite?
>>
>>7386254
Not even to us.
>>
Probably Shakespeare
>>
File: queiros.jpg (5 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
queiros.jpg
5 KB, 211x239
I think it's a mix between Pessoa, Saramago and Eça de Queirós.

From these my favourite is Eça.
I'm always a bit sad he isn't mentioned more often, /lit/ usually does not like realism.
>>
>>7385964
my mum watches it. I was OK with watching it until this season. Something about the cinematography has changed. It looks really cheap. So I'm wondering if they cut the budget?

Apparently most people don't like the show. A Toronto Star article on the CBC's current lineup said it should be cut, and their user poll agreed. But they also said that Murdoch Mysteries was the best thing on Canadian TV right now and should be kept, whereas to me it seems like the most unwatchable piece of shit on TV. My dad and I used to put it on to bug my mum and have a laugh at how bad it was. It never occurred to me that anybody didn't think it was a trainwreck.

The problem with the CBC is that we pay for it AND put pressure on it to pay for itself. The result is light entertainment programming that can't compete with the US stuff. There's a point in having a CBC, but if all they do is try to imitate the more lucrative channels in order to be competitive, then the purpose is lost
>>
>>7386294
You mean definitely Shakespeare.
>>
>>7386295
>Eça de Queirós

Which book of his would you recommend in particular? Margaret Jull Costa has translated a bunch and she's usually very good for Portuguese and Spanish lit.
>>
>>7384065
Have you read atwoods maddaddam stuff
it is not terrible
>>
>>7386897
It's all trash.

CBC needs to look more Euro and less like CNN. They have some top-tier documentaries when they try but I agree imitative lucrative channels will fail for them.
>>
File: adela zamudio.jpg (51 KB, 500x604) Image search: [Google]
adela zamudio.jpg
51 KB, 500x604
Adela Zamudio
>>
File: shakespeare.jpg (167 KB, 370x438) Image search: [Google]
shakespeare.jpg
167 KB, 370x438
>>
>>7388237
Thomas Middleton
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.