[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/FRENCH/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: sartre.02.jpg (63 KB, 766x335) Image search: [Google]
sartre.02.jpg
63 KB, 766x335
/lit/ i'm learning french, prescribe me your favorite french literature
>>
French is a rather tricky and difficult to learn language. How well do you read it?
>>
>>7384027
I would say I'm at "L'Étranger" tier
>>
>>7384040
You should wait one or two more years before reading literature.
>>
>>7384120
I'm learning independently and want to immerse myself in different forms of French media. I guess you're saying literature isn't the best method learning?
>>
>>7384134
It requires a lot of work to be able to read literature—and once you're there there isn't a better way to progress—but until you won't have trouble to read a short story without too much reliance on the dictionary, especially regarding the conjugation and grammar, you should rather stick with more usual methods. Try to read the newspaper everyday.
>>
i think that either Derrida or Lacan would be a good place to start for beginners, perhaps even a cross-reading of one within the context of the other. it's not especially difficult language or terminology to pick up, and often they treat other works to commentaries that would make said works more approachable/accessible.
>>
>>7384164
Thanks I was looking looking for entry level stuff
>>
File: 1423520477047.png (36 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1423520477047.png
36 KB, 803x688
Just starting.
>the singular and plural of some words sound exactly the same
>you could figure it out from the context within a sentence if it's singular or plural
>they're still spelled differently
>mfw
English >>>>> all other languages
>>
>>7384292
And yet all those authors you want to read are still in French. Too bad, isn't it?
>>
>>7384292
>>the singular and plural of some words sound exactly the same
It may affect the pronunciation of the word after you troll.
>>
>>7383992
Read Barjavel. L'Enchanteur, La Nuit des Temps or Une rose au paradis.

You will never regret it.
>>
File: Claude Simon.jpg (122 KB, 825x1229) Image search: [Google]
Claude Simon.jpg
122 KB, 825x1229
>>7383992
favorite is different from easy
my favorite are Claude Simon, Georges Perec and Chrétien de Troyes but I don't really think someone starting to read french would be able to fully understand their books
maybe read some noir fictions, we have a lot of good authors like Jean-Patrick Manchette, A.D.G., Albert Simonin...
>>
>>7384040
You might as well read some more of Camus's work, especially the plays, La Peste and La Chute. When I had finished with Camus I moved directly onto Sartre, starting with his plays. His language is notably more difficult, but also a lot nicer. Just be sure to add all of the new words you learn to an Anki deck.
>>
>>7384164
Lel don't trust this anon, or you are in for a wild ride
>>
>>7385696
Yep, just finished Caligula and le malentendu by Camus, both are easy to understand.
>>
Start with the Asterix.
>>
>>7385608
This guy knows where it's at. Claude Simon is an incredible writer.

I would suggest reading some of Molière's shortest comedies (e.g. Les Fourberies de Scapin, Le Bourgeois gentilhomme). Some archaic turns of phrase might be a bit hard to understand but otherwise the style is pretty straightforward, and the plays are usually funny as shit.
>>
>>7385784
Anon was probably being facetious but tbqh neither Derrida nor Lacan use language that is complicated in the same sense as that of a good author of prose or poetry. If anything, lacking an intuitive understanding of their wordgames would help one get onboard with their narratives. (hell, that's probably why they're so much more popular with american academics)
>>
>>7385608

>Jean-Patrick Manchette
is that a real name
>>
>>7384292
>English >>>>> all other languages

You do realize that English is a mix between a pleb-tier germanic dialect and the old-french vocabulary brought by Guillaume le Conquérant (from which originate 40% to 50% of the words that compose the english language), right ?
>>
>>7384292
>from the language that gave us:
>kernel and colonel are pronounced the same way
>the name Vaughan is pronounced "von"
>Gloucestershire is pronouced "gluster sure"
>the plural of sheep and fish is respectively sheep and fish
>>
>>7387412
>he name Vaughan is pronounced "von"
it's not tho.

v-on
vh-ohn
>>
Is Dumas representative of classic French literature? If so, French literature is literal shit.

I mean, how is it humanly possible to take something as a revenge story like The Count of Monte Cristo and turn it into boring shit? Even Ayn Rand was more fun to read.
>>
>>7384027
>French is a rather tricky and difficult to learn language.
Not if you're a native English speaker. In fact, few languages are easier to learn.
>>
>>7387419
vorn
>>
>>7386599
That's really misleading. The 1,000 most common words in English are mostly Germanic, and the structure of the language is completely Germanic.
>>
>>7387419
The "h" be silent m8
>>
>>7383992
I cannot prescribe you anything in particular but my method of learning the language is
1.follow their major papers on facebook and then read the comments section.
2.get an audiobook in one language and listen while reading it in another. for french in particular it has been super useful to me since now I know that more advanced French had a huge influence on my native language (which, sadly, isn't English).
3.Work yourself through michel thomas. It will get you somewhat fluent where the books don't help at all - in the spoken language.
4.write a diary in the language you're learning. This will get you curious about common expressions not found in books or cinema - speaking of which, watch some movies with subs.
5.sarte looks a lot like TV Adorno if you chip off all extraneous matter.
>>
>>7387447
oh, really? Then why do they differentiate in all their pronunciation guides between "le « h » aspiré" and "le « h » muet"?
>>
>>7387468
How well did your method work for you
>>
>>7387445
>The 1,000 most common words in English are mostly Germanic

No.

>the structure of the language is completely Germanic

Yep. Never said otherwise.
>>
>>7387490
>No.
"Of the 1000 most common modern English words 80% came from Old English words."

https://books.google.com/books?id=uqlDKoAuWxQC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=80%25+of+the+1000+most+common+are+Germanic+in+origin&source=bl&ots=5GP-Iw6Hqv&sig=dPD1vo0nxuqjKNe7IDxG7bz0DvY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKnNXCk6rJAhWJKIgKHT_pAkoQ6AEIVTAJ#v=onepage&q=80%25%20of%20the%201000%20most%20common%20are%20Germanic%20in%20origin&f=false
>>
>>7386000
>Claude Simon is an incredible writer

having made my PhD on him, I cannot stress enough how I consider him one of the major figures in the XXth century litterature, but damn me if any traduction manages to reach the french level of hurtfulness (is that even a real word ?)

>>7386541
really important writer when it comes to néo noir fiction, he and A.D.G. defined new borders in the genra with the same global thought, even if the first was an extreme lefist and the latter an extreme right activist
>>
>>7387434
How could one author be representative of something as vague as "classic French literature" ? Are you retarded ?
>>
>>7386004
That actually makes sense. I would still go, as another said, with Barjavel. It's insanely good while remaining accessible in term of prose.
>>
>>7387434
>Dumas
>boring
What
>>
>>7388201
You got me fired up, I am to read la Route des Flandres for uni next semester.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.