[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soo umm, how do I stop watching anime and start reading books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 24
File: 14sgk10.jpg (67 KB, 807x1359) Image search: [Google]
14sgk10.jpg
67 KB, 807x1359
Soo umm, how do I stop watching anime and start reading books?
>>
I recommend buying a book, and then reading them, and not watching any more anime as it's a total waste of time.
>>
>>7383590
As they say in the LaBeoufian school of thought, "One must simply engage with the necessary actions without recourse, else it leads to perdition."
>>
>>7383590
Tip: don't read unless you actually like it.
>>
I'm afraid there's no cure for homosexuality yet.
>>
>>7383598
Unlike reading shitty books, it's only a waste if you see shitty animes. Think about how many books are published and how many of them include merit worthy of being red by people of acquired literary taste.

This is the same case with any medium.
>>
Read manga
>>
File: 1447086608500.jpg (25 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
1447086608500.jpg
25 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
File: 1447850508576.gif (1 MB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1447850508576.gif
1 MB, 540x540
>>7383622
>-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

>mfw that's the only reason i still read
>>
Well, for starters you can start Jung if you liked NHK or if you liked Evangelion's pseudo religion symbolism, you can start reading the Bible or Jewish Kabbalah text.
>>
>>7383622
Oh anon, you silly goose
>>
File: 1432660845755.jpg (176 KB, 664x1203) Image search: [Google]
1432660845755.jpg
176 KB, 664x1203
>>7383598
>Don't like something
>it's a waste of time
>>
>>7383645
Same to be quite honest with you, family.

>>7383622
Why is it that this generic copypasta is one of the best posts in /lit/ history?
>>
>>7383590
>realise that there are around 50 titles of anime worth watching
>realise everything after that is a waste of time
>take a book
>read it
>>7383619
BASED
A
S
E
D
>>
>>7383662
>anime
>worth watching
>>
You can transition like this.
anime>manga>LN>greeks>literature>suicide
>>
>>7383653
>Doesn't think something is worth it.
>That person must dislike it.
?
>>
Why not both?
>>
>>7383662
>>realise that there are around 50 titles of anime worth watching
There's actually ~125, I would know, I've wasted all my good years on watching about 800 terrible ones.
>>
>>7383945
That's awesome, anon. Mind sharing with us a few animes that you consider to be worth watching?
>>
>>7383590
Maybe read some wordy patrician manga to ease yourself into it. I personally think that early Berserk is the greatest swords and sorcery story I've ever seen.

From there maybe you could go into Dune, Tolkien, Wolfe or PKD and if you get into any of those you're on your way.
>>
>>7384011
Kizu's been announced tho
>>
>>7384019
It was announced back in 2009 too.
>>
>>7383945
>>7383976
I'd like to know too, I built up a to-watch list of ~100 after getting back into anime this year, but I'm finding I drop most of them after three or four episodes.

Sharing a MAL would be useful too, that's what I'm using.
>>
>>7383590
You could start with light novels. Indes, Spice & Wolf, whatever yen press has. Then you move on to bigger things when you feel you're ready.
>>
>>7384036
And that's after "getting back into it" after stopping in 2007, I had watched most of what I thought worth watching up to that point already.
>>
>>7384036
>but I'm finding I drop most of them after three or four episodes.
not him but the same thing happened to me and I ended up dropping anime as a hobby altogether, it's a sign of being burnt out

It fucking sucks dick when you lose the only real hobby you've ever had, when you could marathon hundreds of episodes before but then can't even make it through a 12 episode series.

Anyway if you stopped in 2007 then
Bartender( 11 eps) is pretty comfy and good
Katanagatari
Utena ( If you haven't watched it already)
Durarara!
Mushishi
>>
>>7384050
I can imagine I wouldn't feel like living anymore if that happened to me with books. But books are thankfully almost endlessly diverse, and I know I'll never lack for reading material.

Anime still seems like something you can "catch up" on with going through everything worth it.

Mushishi's one of my favorites, was glad to have more eps/OVAs to watch when I started again. Loved Utena back in the day; I'll check out the others. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>7383945
inb4
>that one anime with the girl (boy?) with the transforming costumes in the "The Man in the High Castle" universe

I've quite literally watched random episodes from easy above 200 animes because of my "seriously-not-weeb"-weeb friend, and that one anime is the only one that hasnt dissolved in the sea of blurry memories of all the animes I watched.

I've never watched an anime from beginning to end, but I would nominate that anime as the best one.
>>
>>7384057
>Anime still seems like something you can "catch up" on with going through everything worth it.
I know, it's just that /a/ used to be my home board and it was fun staying up late nights fucking around on there and marathoning an anime, it felt like I had friends.
I suppose I miss the social aspect of talking about it rather than actually watching it.

>Thanks anon
no problem
>>
File: disdain for plebs.jpg (26 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
disdain for plebs.jpg
26 KB, 400x462
>>7383598
>he haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion
>he haven't watched Serial Experiments Lain
>he haven't watched Revolutionary Girl Utena
>he haven't watched Ghost in the Shell or Ghost in the Shell:SAC
>>he haven't watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>>he haven't watched Planetes
>>
Well you turn the tv off and pick up a book you fucking gook
>>
Monogatari is pretty good for an anime. Like it's legitimately good and in my opinion stands up as a quality piece of art, and while not being perfect still manages to be thought provoking, emotional, well structured and with its share of well developed characters. Especially the current season. Sodachi arc was incredible.

Also, I unironically think that FLCL is probably the greatest piece of animation of all time and that it's Gainaxes real masterpiece. The brains behind why End of Evangelion was so good was not Anno, it was Tsuramaki and the rest of the production team. All Anno brought to the table was crushing depression and a great sense of sincerity about it that added flavour.
>>
>>7384077

Me again
Also yeah, what this >>7384071 guy said. All of these stand up. Also anything directed by Satoshi Kon is legit good. Paprika and Perfect Blue are great films.

I have very little bad to say about anything Ghibli with Miyazaki at the helm either.
>>
>>7383618
>red
>unlike
>this is the same
>>
>>7384071
Pleb shit. jesus
>>
>>7384085
> Paprika and Perfect Blue are great films.
Forgot them, they're also great.
>>7384088
So, name some non-pleb anime.
>>
>tfw no misaki gf
>>
File: dune anime.jpg (180 KB, 882x415) Image search: [Google]
dune anime.jpg
180 KB, 882x415
>>7384006
No, this is terrible advice. You're reading words but you aren't using your imagination. Books are about creating things in your mind.

You need to dive in and read a real book, nigga.
You're ready.

BUT, this is important, picture it as an anime in your head. This will exercise your ability to conceptualize things AND will heighten your level of enjoyment. You may even find by the end that the anime you've imagined in your mind is the best anime you've ever seen.
>>
>>7384097
WTF, a Dune anime?
>>
File: botnsmanga.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
botnsmanga.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
>>7384102
Its the Japanese cover of the book.
BTW, this is the Japanese cover of Shadow of the Torturer.
>>
>>7384116
Reminds me Death Note.
Do you have a Lotr cover?
>>
File: 246323423.jpg (223 KB, 873x765) Image search: [Google]
246323423.jpg
223 KB, 873x765
>>7384097
>Dr. Yueh, I'm CHOAM
>>
>>7384124
Literally banepost
8/10 will post on /tv/ latter.
>>
>>7383590
by growing up.
>>
>>7384091
>tfw my gf is a female Tatsuhiro
>>
>>7384141
She's a smoker basement dweller? How does she see you if she can't leave her room?

My sister is like this, but she does not have a bf and spends the whole day on 4chan and playing dota
>>
>>7384071
Evangelion is okay if you don't read much in general, after a year or two of familiarizing yourself with philosophy/literature it becomes another anime that aspires, but ultimately fails to deliver.

>inb4 muh deconstruction of tropes
>>
File: honor03jb480.jpg (137 KB, 722x480) Image search: [Google]
honor03jb480.jpg
137 KB, 722x480
>>7384123
I searched, but sadly none of them are very interesting.
But here's the Japanese cover for one of the Honor Harrington books. Makes it look like a late 80s early 90s scifi anime, which fits the book's aesthetic.
One of these days I'm going to start a "International versions of Book Covers" thread.
>>
>>7384124
>Tell me about the Fremen, why do they wear stillsuits?
>>
>>7384151
>Evangelion is okay if you don't read much in general, after a year or two of familiarizing yourself with philosophy/literature it becomes another anime that aspires, but ultimately fails to deliver.
FOR YOU.
>>
>>7384169
Lots of loyalty for a dehydrated guy
>>
File: bigguy.jpg (228 KB, 597x450) Image search: [Google]
bigguy.jpg
228 KB, 597x450
>>7384176
>>
>>7384180
For Muad'dib.
>>
>tfw /lit/ has the best taste in anime
I am on episode 4 of Utena and loving it, that fucking arts brehs, tell me some more patrician animu
>>
>>7384169
Because they are saving themselves for a philosophical purity in being which due this very natureof theirs they can not ever realise.
>>
>>7384169
>First person to talk gets to stay on my Ornithoper
>>
>>7384194
Dunbine, FLCL, Wings of Honneamise (this is good "lit").
>>
>tfw this thread happens just as i was starting to believe baneposting was finally dead
i love you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=233OwqrLvgE
>>
>>7384071
somebody should write a thesis on the natural propensity of an anime watcher to become extremely hostile upon witnessing dislike of the medium, it's insane how consistent it is
>>
>>7384169
He is a blue eyed guy.
>>
>>7384204
Why Dunbine? I watched it recently and I wasn't very blown away. Galient is a lot better if you want fantasy mecha anime (and also shorter).
>>
>>7384215
keked
>>
>>7383622
>Don't force yourself to read.
>Commit to read 5 pages a day.
wew lad
>>
>>7384232
It's all about that beautiful analogous ideology in play. Shame for the abrupt end.
I'll try Galient some time.
>>
>>7384246
>It's all about that beautiful analogous ideology in play.
Do go on.
>>
>>7384246
If you like Tomino, and strangeness, you might try King Gainer, Reconguista, and Brain Powerd (this one is not for the feint of heart)
>>
>>7384246
Galient has one of my favorite opening songs, mostly because its prog rock instead of pop.
>>
>>7383622
great meme
>>
>>7383622
i know this is a meme, but is it good advice
>>
There isn't that much good anime where you're more likely to watch that than anything else
>>
>>7384458
I don't even get why it's a joke aside from the 5 pages a day spiel.
>>
File: anthydamn.jpg (73 KB, 550x420) Image search: [Google]
anthydamn.jpg
73 KB, 550x420
>>7384088
>Utena falling under pleb-shit.
Heh, nope.
>>
>>7384274
Is Brain Power'd actually good? For years I was told it never quite hits the mark, but I've listened to the soundtracks for years now and enjoy them because Yoko Kanno.
>>
I quit watching anime and started reading books like a month ago. I've consistently read about two weeks a book in the time I'd normally spend watching anime every week. On the other hand, I'm now a month behind in every show I'm watching. This season kinda sucks so it's not that bad, but I wish I could find motivation to finish at least One Punch Man and Haikyuu.
>>
>>7384602
I'm catching up on One Piece and it's eating all my media time. It goes so damn slowly that I can watch two hours and the plot has barely moved forward.
>>
>>7384604
Yeah that's why I avoid those 500 episode shounen series like that. If it's something that ridiculously long but I feel compelled to know the story, I'll just read the manga.
>>
>>7384608
Yeah I usually do that, but I'm at the point where I want to vegetate at night before going to bed. I can also multitask while it's on and not really miss anything.
>>
>>7384604
Thats why you don't watch shit.

Or at least stop watching shit that never ends.

Remember that your time is valuable and that you should be experiencing life not throwing it away.

TNG and DS9 took forever. I'm not gonna star trek again. Its a waste of time after what happened in DS9.
>>
>>7384602
I totally cut off anime as well. It feels weird letting go of things that took up a huge portion of my life, like with quitting video games which I did a couple years ago and now with anime and slowly cartoons.
>>
>>7384635
Fuck TNG so much. I loved some of the characters and ideas but there were so many episodes and trying to finish the series became an obsessive chore for me.
>>
>>7384656
Seriously, if someone would have just told me a list of all the 2/3 part episodes for tng I would have been ok not watching the rest of it. I love the crew, I love their adventures, but finishing the series was a fucking achievement. Even more exhilarating than finishing the wire.
>>
>>7384660
I was done with serials after TNG. I wanted to start some other famous ones like DS9, The Wire, or The Sopranos, but I just quit.

I began to skip Worf and Deanna episodes after getting half-way through since they're my least favorite members of the crew.

I would spend hours a day forcing myself to get through TNG. I get anxious like that.
>>
>>7384635
>>7384656
>>7384660
>>7384711
You guys have invested an enormous amount of time into shit media.
>>
>>7384747
Yeah it's true. Now I just spend a couple hours here, couple hours reading, and a couple hours listening to lectures. So much better and fulfilling.
>>
File: owenwilsonzoolander300.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
owenwilsonzoolander300.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>>7384747
Wow, thats deep man.
>>
>>7384585
I like it, but its very, very strange.
>>
Sometime I miss watching anime and reading manga. I know there are a good many series out there that I'd still enjoy, that would give me a different kind of experience from books, but I can't be bothered anymore to find them and start getting into them.

For instance I randomly watched Shin Sekai Yori a few months ago because a friend was visiting, and I actually loved it. And I'm wondering how many other series like it I've missed. But this is my life now, just reading books. It's not really as exciting but it's definitely better.

Oh yeah, I'm still reading Jojolion though
>>
>>7384772
Balance man. Play a video game every now and then. Re-watch Redline for visceral visual stimuli. Part of reading is experiencing different things. More exposure to visual expression will help with your reading too.
>>
>>7384789
Oh yeah, definitely. Right now I'm just not able to explore all options (real life problems and all). I also find that it's generally easier to find books touted as "good" that actually end up meriting the praise, than for works in other mediums. And even if I don't end up liking them they're rarely a complete waste of time like some movies or anime or whatever.

That said I'll try one of these days to get back into manga at the least. There are a lot of interesting stories and concepts there that I don't see much of in other mediums. Also makes for good brainless entertainment.
>>
>>7384221
somebody should write a thesis on the natural propensity of an [fan of thing] to become extremely hostile upon witnessing [unexplained criticism of thing], it's insane how consistent it is

extremely hostile is going a bit far as a description of that reply don't you think?
>>
>>7384772
>And I'm wondering how many other series like it I've missed.
Not many. SSY is exceptionally good.
>>
>>7385616
Ssy is trash. The characters are so bland in personallity interchangeable (inb4 muh rat) and the pacing is all over the place. Not to mention how shit the art was.
>>
>>7385616
There are many, SSY is just entry-level stuff.
>>
>>7385636
*they are interchangeable
>>
>>7384071
>evangelion is patrician

Both you and I have been here long enough to know that this is bait.
>>
>>7385636
>The characters are so bland in personallity
You mean the personality of characters that are supposed to have been altered genetically to not be able to have any kind of personal trait that could lead to conflict with other people are bland? I think you're just too dumb to get SSY.
>>
>>7385652
>b-but it was SUPPOSED to be poorly written
>>
>>7385652
You see excusing shitty characterisation with x sf element doesn't change the fact that it isn't very good. It only makes it tolerable, at best. >>7383945
I'd probably say that half of that list would be not worth my time. Probably because I have seen most of them.
>>
>>7385661
If you watch it expecting interesting character interaction of course it's shit. It's based on a sci-fi novel. The whole point of it is the idea of a future world under certain circumstances and the morla problems that arise from these conditions. That's all.

>>7385659
It's not poorly written. The traits of the characters are the very central point of the plot. It is explained since the beginning like when that kid with the ability to cheat suddenly disappears.
>>
File: sdfsdf43434343.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdf43434343.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>not having anime introduce you into philosophy, dostoevsky and Chesterton
>>
>>7385680
>the traits that the characters don't have, because they're genetically engineered to be cardboard cutouts, are the central point of the plot

So what's the super deep, meaningful point to the plot, then?
>>
>>7385680
I've read plenty of sf novels and learned that there is no reason for them to have lacking characters. It could have been pulled off better. It's not a bad show, its just got certain writing problems, mainly with characters.
>>
>>7385698
The point is how even if the most perfect possible kind of utopia could be built from the worst of the situations, then there would still be the need of some pretty dark stuff going on. And that a perfect and peaceful society would need bland and uninteresting people to exist because the slightest amount of power in any form on the hands of someone remotely unstable ultimately leads to fucked up shit happening.
>>
all anime is total trash except for initial d
>>
>>7385719
In what real world context would these themes have any meaning?
>>
>>7385717
Did these sf novels have (almost) all the central characters modified to behave like sheep?
>>
>>7385724
And M.D. Geist.

Or Vampire Hunter D
>>
>>7385726
Is this question even relevant to what we were talking about?
Anyway, I don't think it's necessary to answer an obviety.
>>
>>7385727
Just some of them, but they pulled it off better.
>>
Read the quran so you can recite verses and not get executed in an isis attack
>>
>>7385735
For example? If they're better than SSY I'll have to check them out.
>>
>>7385734
Why write shitty on purpose for no purpose? Was the writer just trying to hide the fact that he couldn't write realistic characters by using world building to excuse it?

It's not even the total lack of characterization that makes it so bad, but the fact that the story says that they have personalities when they obviously do not. An example would be how the main character is claimed to be a strong leader, when all she does is follow other people's commands. It's like a YA novel.
>>
>>7385740
Isn't Brave New World an obvious choice? Also F451 which I didn't like much, but the interaction between retards and drones was probably the most interesting part of the novel.
>>
>>7385616
I will never understand people's hardon for SSY. >>7385636 is right, the characterisation is shit, the plot moves like a glacier uphill, and the "deep and meaningful themes" are neither deep nor meaningful nor explored in any real way.
>>
>>7385746
>Why write shitty on purpose for no purpose? Was the writer just trying to hide the fact that he couldn't write realistic characters by using world building to excuse it?
I give up on you about this. Whatever man, if you don't want to read my posts it's ok.

>It's not even the total lack of characterization that makes it so bad, but the fact that the story says that they have personalities when they obviously do not.
The story says what?

>An example would be how the main character is claimed to be a strong leader, when all she does is follow other people's commands. It's like a YA novel.
Not really. She's claimed to be able to doubt what she's told, so this alone makes her the most competent leader given that the rest can't. She's called "strong" by one weaker character because her urge to find out the truth gives her a motivation to keep going no matter what. That's all.
>>
>>7385759
I think it has to do with the crowd of weebs that grew up on Elfin Lied.
Most edgy anime are still like EL, being melodramatic and too childish to tackle the themes that it wants to tackle.
SSY came along, and while it was still gritty and dark, it has a certain air of maturity around it that people who grew out of Elfin Lied but still want that kind of edgyness would enjoy.
>>
>>7385769
I used to love Elfen Lied.
Then I grew up.
I have a hard on for redheads.
>>
What is the most /lit/erary anime? I vote for Kino no Tabi.
>>
>>7385776
Utena. We just had a thread about it, actually.
>>
File: 1443755614680.jpg (160 KB, 950x1050) Image search: [Google]
1443755614680.jpg
160 KB, 950x1050
>>7385776
>anime
>literary
>>
>>7385776
Ghost in the Shell is by far the best anime
>>
>>7384274
Where can you even find Brain Powerd? I haven't watched anime in a few years, but I have some free time between jobs so I figured I'd give this a shot.
>>
Someone posted Belladonna here a couple of days back, and it was amazing, thank you.
>that abundance of sex scenes
>>
>>7383590
Do what you want with your free time tbqhfam. Reading doesn't necessarily mean that you should completely quit with another medium, maybe if you're addicted or some shit, but as long as it's not the only thing you're doing it's really not the problem. No matter what fedora tippers spout here there's some great anime with high value everyone should watch at least once so there's really no need to pick one over the other. Weather a good book is more worth your time than good anime is entirely up to you.

There's also a fuckton of shit anime but less if just as much as there are shitty books. I recommend some quality control and luring around here to get the hang of what's recommended and what's not, it'll save your time. There are also charts that get posted and I'm sure there's a wiki here somewhere I never actually used in all of my years of /lit/
>>
>>7385776
Evangelion is the only anime you must watch, even if you don't like it.

Most of GitS franchise, as well some other less famouse anime, like LoGH, and Planetes are also very good.
>>
>>7383590
>OP asks how to stop watching anime.
>Thread devolves into anime discussion.
>>
>>7383598

>Eva
>Utena
>Lain
>Logh
>NHK
>Perfect Blue
>Paranoia Agent
>Monster
>Kaji
>Perfect Blue

Those are all better than any American TV shows desu, even if the last one is a film.
For manga, I would mention GitS, Akira and Berserk.
>>
>>7383648
why do all plebs only view evangelion as notable for it's pseudo religious symbolism. The only reason why it's good is because all the characters are assholes
>>
File: mindrape.jpg (1 MB, 1442x1614) Image search: [Google]
mindrape.jpg
1 MB, 1442x1614
>>7386540
You said it, because they're plebs. The best part of Evangelion are characters as well as animation, which is pretty dank if I may say so.
>>
File: 1351216040431.jpg (107 KB, 640x502) Image search: [Google]
1351216040431.jpg
107 KB, 640x502
>>7386540
>>7383648
Evangelion ain't about religion, Anno and the others just put that to make it cool. What makes that anime so good is the character development. The plor might look interesting since its almost impenetrable without a rewatch, but it'sd just fun, not quality per si.
>>
>>7386572
Animation? Evangelion has less animation than a cartoon strip.
The amount of stills in it is ridiculous
>>
What the fuck, stop talking about things I don't like immediately
>>
File: 1442014998824.png (112 KB, 297x282) Image search: [Google]
1442014998824.png
112 KB, 297x282
>>7386585
>Animation? Evangelion has less animation than a cartoon strip.
>The amount of stills in it is ridiculous

wew lad
>>
>>7383590
serious question
if someone watch anime mostly all days is a meaning that he is fucked ?
>>
>>7386518
The Sopranos and Mad Men are better than any anime desu
>>
>>7386585
I guess he meant the artstyle, it was extremely inovative for that time and it's still somehow unique, far betten than many of the new anime in its own way. Not only the mechas, but the character design made the most attractive 2D characters even IMO.
>>7386595
>if someone watch anime mostly all days is a meaning that he is fucked ?
That means you're autistic. Just like doing the very same thing all they in any media.
>>
>>7386593
Have you even seen the show? The final episodes have the least amount of animation cels in any TV anime produced in the 90's (and probably beyond). They ran out of budget, and that's why we got EoE (which was the original ending) as a movie after the success of the show.
>>
File: hayek.jpg (44 KB, 424x512) Image search: [Google]
hayek.jpg
44 KB, 424x512
>>7386604
>mad men
>good
I could agree with The Sopranos tho.
>>
>>7386605
I can somewhat agree with that.
>>
>>7386605
>Just like doing the very same thing all they in any media

What you mean? So if I read all day I'm autistic?
>>
>>7386612
Mad Men is certainly better than mediocre series like LOGH, Kaiji and Monster.
>>
>>7383590
>>7386595
Just do whatever you want. If you like to read, read. If anime is your thing, enjoy it as much as you can.
People that can't help but telling you what to do are likely to be posers who want to feel better about their shitty life.
Be the better man.
>>
>>7386624
Yes, probably.
Also a manchild.
>>
>>7386604
mad men it's boring as hell
>>
>>7386609
>they ran out of budget meme
Anno confirmed that is not true, you just didn't get the last two episodes inb4 2deep4u fedora memes etc. which were more experimental than anything else. EoE is just a more mainstream ending for the masses.
>>
>>7383590
You can do this order
Manga>visual novels>light novels
>>
>>7386501
>Trying to discuss books on an anime imageboard frequently used for Uzbekistanni crossdressing discussion
U Silly Billy U
>>
>>7386609
>>7386609
They didn't have money to make a decent ending.
That't why EoE exist.
I hope you've watched it.
>>
>>7386628
>>7386630
I'm not speaking for myself but thank you for aswering me
>>
>>7386632
Because you're a pleb :^)
>>
>>7386540
Why do all plebs not seem to get such a simple story like NGE? What do you plebs do when you are confronted with actually complex literature.
>>
>>7386652
Anime, manga, cartoon, and TV show taste has nothing to do with the patrician/plebeian distinction. All of those should be guilty pleasures, regardless of its quality.
>>
>>7383613
Turbopleb.
>>
>>7386652
go back to watch anime
>>
>>7386663
Shakespeare's plays might as well be a guilty pleasure back in the day.
>>
>>7383590
Start watching classic japanese films (ozu, kurosawa, & suzuki should be great for transitioning from anime) and slowly broaden your cinematic tastes. Once you've acquired an appreciation for foreign art cinema you should easily have attention span and analytic finesse you'll need to dive right into serious literature
>>
>>7386676
>Shakespeare
>a guilty pleasure
I bet you don't actually read.
>>
>>7383590
Well you can start by reading the light novel of Welcome to the NHK, you filthy weeb. It's enjoyable but not great, especially if you've already seen the anime.
>>
>>7386698
Next thing you're going to tell me novels weren't also seen as lowbrow and merely entertainment too.
>>
>>7386663
this
>>
>>7384215
This joke has gone to far.
>>
>>7386734
Haruhu novels too?
>>
>>7383598
>implying
I have my doctorate in English literature and I enjoy anime. Stay mad, kekboy.
>>
>>7386826
I haven't read those, so I couldn't really tell. Most Light Novels are basically easily readable novellas aimed primarily at younger audiences, so they're probably good if you want to easily work yourself into reading and need something enjoyable and non-taxing.
>>
>>7383618
>red
>anime is a medium

Hoooooolllyyyyy
>>
>>7386851
>I have my doctorate in English literature and I enjoy anime

so??? plenty of phds are complete retards
>>
>>7386871
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
hello twitter
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
>>7386873
hello
>>
File: 1441727294607.jpg (201 KB, 874x414) Image search: [Google]
1441727294607.jpg
201 KB, 874x414
>>7386851
>>
>>7386875
How!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
>>7383673
this tbqh.
>>
>>7386881
p good, u?

something wrong w ur punctuation keys???
>>
>>7386518
>>7384071

Lol
>>
Xabungle is the only patrician anime
Tomino is a god.
>>
How do I stop listening to music and start reading books?
>>
>>7384071
>he haven't
>>
>>7386879
>posting a fucking faggot
Yeah, nice argument.
>>
>>7387390
>Thinking a picture is an augment.
? Come back when you know what words mean.
>>
File: 87 KB.jpg (87 KB, 410x416) Image search: [Google]
87 KB.jpg
87 KB, 410x416
>>7387396
>>
>>7386434
Search for it followed by "bakabt" on google. Then use the torrent.
>>
>>7387108
listen and read at the same time
>>
>>7386734
Its not a light novel. Its a regular novel. Light novels have full page art every few pages.
>>
>>7387396
Smug anime pictures trump any argument composed of words
>>
>>7386604
Mad men is one of the most /lit/ tier shows, after the wire and definitely ahead of the sopranos. Seriously, sopranos is just "le american dream" and retarded symbolism a lot of the time.
>>
>>7387507
I'd rather watch Desperate Housewives than Mad Men. At least one doesn't put up a pretence about what it's about.
>>
>>7387400
Best girl, you're right every time you post teh rei
>>
>>7387507
>/lit/ tier show
Indeed, such a plebeian board.
>>
>>7387507
Mad Men is Sopranos-lite. Both are still better than The Wire and its heavy-handedness.
>>
>>7386790
For you.
>>
>>7385603
It's already been done
>>
>>7387507
Sopranos has the best dialogue and characterization I think, although Mad Men is a close second. I think love for the Sopranos breaks on whether or not you're into the dream sequences - I think they're great, but I understand why someone might prefer the Wire/Mad Men if they disagree.

all three are head and shoulders above Breaking Bad, which is the fourth show that people seem to frequently group with those
>>
>>7387917
On 4chan, it usually goes something like this:
Sopranos > Wire = Mad Men > Deadwood > Twin Peaks > Six Feet Under > The Shield > Carnivale > Rome > Breaking Bad.

That's just for American dramas, there are a lot more.
>>
>>7383590
read Japanese literature. its about half way in between
>>
>>7387436
But then I appreciate neither
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.