[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should i read this? Are there better introductions to Poetry?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
Should i read this? Are there better introductions to Poetry?
>>
>Stephen Fry
"no"
>>
>>7380473
Yeah. Actual poetry.
>>
>>7380475
b-but I'm following this guide:
http://pastebin.com/cBZknniE
>>
>>7380480
All following that guide will do is turn you into a shitbag. If you really want to get into poetry just read some poetry.
>>
>>7380491
but what if i want to read about the technical side of it?
>>
>>7380507
Then you're a shitbag and thus should continue following that guide.
>>
File: Madness Rack & Honey - Ruefle.jpg (38 KB, 354x498) Image search: [Google]
Madness Rack & Honey - Ruefle.jpg
38 KB, 354x498
Read what you want, pick inspiration from anywhere you can.

Bags of shit fertilize flowers.
>>
why not, you know, read it and decide for yourself if you like it?

do you only read things approved by strangers on 4chan?
>>
>>7380707
It's not a bad prompt. It could have been another frog post, "what's the Duck Dynasty of literature?" shit like that.
>>
>>7380474
/thread
>>
>>7380491
>>7380690
>knowing about what you're reading is being a shitbag
you're a cancer to this board

OP, I'm the one who wrote that guide. It's not an awful introduction to poetics, I've read every book in that guide personally and they're all decent or else I wouldn't have recommended them. If you don't want to take a chance with Fry why not pick one of the other five or so introductions to poetics that I recommended?
>>
It's plebish but it'll still introduce you to what's necessary
>>
If you're new to something it makes perfect sense to plunge into beginner texts, there's no shame in it as you know absolutely nothing and thus have everything to gain.
>>
Stephen Fry seems like the kind of guy who reads and enjoys WH Auden.
>>
Helen Vendler Poems, Poets and Poetry is a great intro textbook.

Rhyme's Reason

Or ABC of Reading if you want to read 150 pages to learn a few decent exercises (take a favorite poem and parody it) and to read the fucking poems aloud
>>
>>7381620

Do you happen to have those books in epub or the like? Or do you know where I can download them? bookzz and libgen only have Pound's book.
>>
>>7380705
>Bags of shit fertilize flowers.
But they also fertilize hogweeds.
>>
>>7382965
hogweed is a flowering plant
>>
>>7382285
You don't?
>>
>>7382988
>flowering plant
I meant pest weeds.
Now that I think of it, bags of shit fertilize every kind of plants. So they are good for anything, and nothing in particular, same as trying to get inspiration anywhere you look.
>>
>>7383000
not all plants like all fertilizers. pH differences in soil along with a multitude of things like moisture and general composition are either conducive or antagonistic to a plant's development, depending on the plant, really.

poetic manuals aren't "inspiration", they're just tool-books. they teach you how to do things, provides for you the tools to achieve certain effects and so on. tools that a person either may or may not use, up to them. but being able to recognize these tools will be helpful in reading poetry because regardless of how you decide to use them, everyone else does.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.