[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Continuing Adventures of the Indecisive Waste of Space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: billy.jpg (158 KB, 1150x1150) Image search: [Google]
billy.jpg
158 KB, 1150x1150
I just finished The Stranger. I thought it was great. I especially enjoyed the final chapter and how the whole thing builds up to it. That deep sense of meaninglessness, I'm glad that's not my mindset most of the time.

If you've been reading my sad postings, you know that I've taken up reading mostly to be able to talk lit with a girl I really like. I'm enjoying everything I'm reading, but that was why I started. She's really great. I managed to bring up my new hobby in conversation with her. I mentioned that I read The Catcher in the Rye. She didn't react much. I don't think she's read that one.

I made a self-depreciating joke about having so much free time I'm going to read In Search of Lost Time. She definitely hasn't read that. I mentioned that Nabokov called it the greatest work of prose of the 20th century, so it's really a must read. That's my thing, when I sense I'm rambling about something autistic I try and turn it into a joke at my own expense. My younger brother was in the room sort of making fun of me, not in a mean way, just the way brothers do. The conversation ended with me declaring my love of The Stranger, and how reading about how other people find life meaningless actually brings me great joy.

Okay, I'm not Cary Grant. I could've been smoother, but I'm actually satisfied right now. You'd have to know me to know I didn't completly botch the conversation. Only sort of.

She posted this list to Pinterest. What does /lit/ think of it?

http://redefinedmom.com/goodreads-100-books-you-should-read-in-a-lifetime/

No Slaughterhouse-Five. That's my favorite so far. I'll have to recommend it to her.
>>
I'm almost positive this is bait so far. Yes I've read the other posts.
>>
>>7378839
Not bait. I'm just very awkward.
>>
Having common interests is fine and all for being friends but you need to start flirting with her
>>
What are you doing here.
>>
>>7379388
That's phase two. I plan on easing into that in about two months. There's a reason for that time frame. I think circumstances will result in being able to talk to her a lot more then.

>>7379400
I'm not sure. I think I enjoy people weighing in on my situation. When I'm at my lowest, I sometimes feel like this is impossible. I mean, there's only one girl I've ever felt this way about. What are the odds she feels the same about me? When people chime in with their insults and jokes, that helps me cope.

But sometimes I feel like I have a real shot. I think she does kind of like me. I don't think being able to recommend books to her is necessary to gain her affection, but I'd like to be able to. She enjoys reading. I'd like to enjoy that with her. And in times when I'm feeling like that, I just need to tell the world. I know it sounds naive. It probably is. But I really think it all could work out for me. And in these moments, I think Camus might have had the wrong idea. Darn good writer though.
>>
If anyone's interested, I think I'll read Lord of the Flies next. It's on that list she put up. So far I think I've only read one book that's on that list.
>>
OP end this trolling charade, it's getting tired.
>>
>>7379809
>But sometimes I feel like I have a real shot. I think she does kind of like me
ok let me spell it out for you, if it's been three months and you're still at this stage just move on, you will be nothing more than friend to her since you have not asserted otherwise.
>>
>>7380794
Well, I haven't really made any sort of move or anything. She's said some things to me in the past that by themselves mean nothing, but taken together make me think there's a definite possibility. I'm just not good at expressing my feelings.

>>7380782
I assure you, I'm not a troll. I just feel things for her that are strange to me. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it.
>>
>>7378737
Hey, OP, wanna talk? My email's [email protected].
>>
>>7379809
>That's phase two. I plan on easing into that in about two months
if you really wanted it you'd do it right now. you'll say the same thing in 2 months and then the 2 months after that.

It's the same thing with going to the gym. Don't put it off and make some bullshit 'reason' up, just go there and do it.
>>
>>7380822
I'll try and talk to her more. About lit or whatever. I really like her, man.

>>7380810
That's very nice of you. I think I'm okay for now, but I appreciate it.
>>
>>7378737
Do you know what sorts of books she's read/is reading? Do you ask her about that sort of thing? A great way to get close to somebody is to ask them questions, this gets them to open up to you, plus you get to learn about them and don't have to do much but listen and try to make connections to what you know.

I can't tell from what little you've written, but it doesn't seem like you really engage her much. e.g. Instead of telling her that you've read Catcher in the Rye and trying to infer whether or not she's read it, why wouldn't you ask her if she's read it in the first place?
>>
>>7380904
>why wouldn't you ask her if she's read it in the first place?
Well, I asserted myself way more than usual by just bringing up the subject. I guess I felt like I had made progress and I stopped. Also, my brother was right next to me and he could have made fun of me if I said anything too corny. I don't know why I didn't ask her if she's read it, I just didn't think to.

Thanks. I'll try and ask her about this stuff when I get the chance. I try to play it safe when I talk to her. I start talking, worry that I'm not being interesting, so I start being self-depreciating. She thinks I'm funny, but I need to try and stop doing that.
>>
>>7380938
go to /fa/ and /fit/ you'll feel more confident if you're happy with your appearance
>>
>>7381087
Thanks. I'm satisfied with the way I look. I think I'm at least a 6/10. If I lost a little fat and gained a little muscle I think I could be a 7. As for fashion, I think I'm okay. She just wears jeans and sweaters mostly. That's one of the things I like about her. She's feminine, but not girly; really the perfect balance.
>>
>>7381087
is there a way I can be /fa/ without looking like an insufferable hipster?
>>
File: 1444118562486.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2000) Image search: [Google]
1444118562486.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2000
>>7381139
yeah
>>
File: image.jpg (221 KB, 1199x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221 KB, 1199x1200
YOU GOT A NICE WHITE DRESS AND A PARTY ON YOUR CONVOCATION
>>
File: klgjdk.jpg (38 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
klgjdk.jpg
38 KB, 500x334
>>7378737
>I mentioned that I read The Catcher in the Rye.
>She didn't react much. I don't think she's read that one.

>That's my thing, when I sense I'm rambling about something autistic I try and turn it into a joke at my own expense. My younger brother was in the room sort of making fun of me, not in a mean way, just the way brothers do.
>Okay, I'm not Cary Grant.
>You'd have to know me to know I didn't completly botch the conversation. Only sort of.

Listen, I liked the hell out of this post, I swear to God I did.

Anyway, 10/10
>>
you can connect with her on literature later. just get her talking about herself and try to empathize out loud. other than that, just act indifferent towards her.
>>
>>7378737

If this isn't a troll then god damn.

You guys actually make me feel normie sometimes. Thanks, I guess.
>>
>>7378737
I will admit that I have enjoyed seeing your conquests on here.
But if you're going to continue to use us as an audience, you could at least have the decency to make something happen.
Come on now, kiss her or something.
Or realize something.
I don't know.
Don't these books make you feel at all emboldened?

Oh well, cheers.

You should read Norwegian Wood. Not because it's particularly good, but because it may give you some confidence.
If Marukima can imagine a world were an autist like his protagonist can get SO much pussy, then so can you.
>>
>>7381778
I'll try to ask her about herself more. Usually when I talk to people there are a lot of awkward silences. I try to have fewer of those when I talk to her and I might be overcompensating. I'll try to be more Cary Grant, less Woody Allen.

>>7381888
Well, I brought up that I was reading more. That's more than I would have done a couple of months ago. Kissing her is still a ways off. She's not the touchy-feely type anyway, but I thought about her during one part of Catcher. Holden was describing holding Jane's hand and how you didn't worry about how sweaty it was.

It reminded me of when we were in a play together about two and a half years ago. One time we were rehearsing and the girl playing my wife was gone, so she had to fill in. The director made us hold hands. You should have seen it. You know how awkward I am, and she doesn't touch people very much, guys especially. Imagine two people staring straight ahead, sweating a little, not looking at each other until the end of the scene when we shared a mutual smirk. It was a beautiful moment. I wasn't in love with her at the time like I am now, but looking back I kind of cherish that memory.

I know how dorky that reads. I know. But you know something, I'm known among my friends for not hugging people, and I don't think I've ever seen her hug a guy without him coming up to her, but she once said to me "Some day I'm going to give you a hug". She was laughing. It was obviously a joke, but it made my day. I love her /lit/. I really do.
>>
>>7380766
That's a good book. I reccomend "Thank You, Jeeves." It's shorter and comedic. You sound nice. I wish I had a girlfriend to talk books to. Personally, a few of the books on that list I don't like but you're lucky to even have a girl with common interests who you can care for and be with. I wish you luck.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.