[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit, not sure if you can help me out but it's worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 510x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 510x680
Hey /lit, not sure if you can help me out but it's worth a shot. I want to seriously get into reading (I've casually read here & there and I read for classes in high school) but I feel like I lack the ability to deeply understand & analyze complex novels because of my lack of serious reading. Do you have any recommendations for places to start? Perhaps books that really sparked your interest in reading? I'll take any genre. Pic somewhat related, I really enjoyed it despite the fact that I didn't take from it everything that it offers.
>>
Start with Greeks
>>
>>7376501
Anything specific you recommend to start with?
>>
>>7376508
The Greeks
>>
Does anyone have that entry-level /lit/core list?

Starting with the Greeks is a meme here about where to start reading philosophy.
>>
>>7376495
Check out Susan Wise Bauer's "The well educated mind." It will spoon feed you with the first steps towards being able to think critically, actually interact with the text, and better retain a book's significance.

I read (much of) her book about this time last year, and regularly revisit it as the backbone of my literary studies. I definitely stray and branch out from it, and it's not going to make you a pro, but it's an amazing springboard. Before reading it I felt totally lost not only in understanding books but even in knowing which ones to read. The book has recommended reading lists for various genres (fiction, history/philosophy, drama, poetry, biography) with different paths of analysis for each of them, and gave me the tools and confidence to tackle books I'd never heard of, let alone thought I could understand.

The first book I read after Bauer's was Don Quixote (which is the first novel on her recommended fiction reading list), and I would definitely recommend it as a starting point. A lot of stuff will go over your head at first, but it flows MUCH easier as you go on.
>>
>>7376529
Thank you! I'll definitely look into it & probably pick up a copy.
>>
>>7376516
I found the /lit starter kit, but I'm not sure if that's the specific entry-level one you're talking about.
>>
>>7376495
Here's a good starting list:

Kant - Critique of Pure Reason
Deleuze - Anti-Oedipus
Hegel - Phenomenology of Spirit
Wittgenstein - Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus
Joyce - Finnegans Wake
Heidegger - Being and Time
>>
>>7376564
kek
>>
>>7376564
easy
>>
File: kek 4.jpg (133 KB, 629x800) Image search: [Google]
kek 4.jpg
133 KB, 629x800
>>7376564
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.