[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished reading "A Kestrel for a Knave" by Barry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: old books.jpg (55 KB, 720x538) Image search: [Google]
old books.jpg
55 KB, 720x538
Just finished reading "A Kestrel for a Knave" by Barry Hines.
Deeply moved, even a little bit teary towards the end.
Mostly the themes of escaping a dreary, grim working class existence were what resonated with me.
Can /lit/ recommend a book with similar themes?
>>
what a retarded picture
>>
>>7375506
>>7375508
I agree. That quote is retarded and shows a staggering lack of any kind of historical knowledge.
>>
>>7375557
your post is equally retarded and shows a staggering lack of any kind of historical imagination
>>
>>7375966
explain please
>>
>>7375506
Oh God, I remember being lucky enough to read that book when I was twelve for English. I've had an incredibly privileged background, but my mum grew up in a council estate by Brick Lane in the East End, and it helped me to understand her a lot more - particularly the nagging.
>>
>>7375508
>>7375557

Please elaborate
>>
>>7376211
It's your typical uneducated "everything was better before", "modern society is stupid!" bullshit.
>>
>>7376232

Except for our much increased production rates and technological improvements, how exactly is that bullshit?
>>
>>7375506
Gl
>>
>>7376240
human rights laws
social aid
woman's suffrage
modern medicine
humanitarian aid and efforts
archaeology, both in technology and the ethics and even the desire to preserve lost cultures
affordable books, by the way

I could keep going, but I don't have 5 hours to spare.
>>
>>7376271

I already mentioned technological advancements, the rest of the items you mentioned just made us worse off, m8.
>>
>>7376276
Oh! You're a moron. Now I understand.
>>
>>7376279

Stop addressing the mirror, please
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.