[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does teaching literature, either at an elementary, secondary,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 920x920.jpg (61 KB, 920x649) Image search: [Google]
920x920.jpg
61 KB, 920x649
Does teaching literature, either at an elementary, secondary, or postsecondary level, benefit society in any way? I feel like it would if students didn't Sparknote shit all the time.
>>
If I weren't assigned to read in school, I probably wouldn't be reading much now. If you actually do it, it helps improve comprehension and reading speed from practice. I also did discover some enjoyable literature from it.

The biggest setback is that teachers are afraid to assign something difficult because it might increase the cheating, which goes on anyways. I was one of the only people in school to finish The Sun Also Rises, but I loved it.
>>
Who cares if it benefits society. If that's all that you care about in mandatory schooling then you end up getting what's happening in Australia which is dropping humanities classes for computer programming.
>>
>>7375465
Does teaching science, either at an elementary, secondary, or postsecondary level, benefit society in any way? I feel like it would if students didn't forget everything right after the test.
>>
My junior year of high school, I was basically an honors student that no one told to ask to be in the honors classes.

So in my Literature class, I was not only the only person actually reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, but I was also letting about seven or eight classmates gather around my desk during 'study time' to regale them with what happened in that week's chapter before we took the test.

I didn't mind because 1) this was helping me learn better by essentially teaching my classmates about what I'd read / they were supposed to read and 2) the teacher saw this and put a couple questions on each test that were so specific you could not answer them without reading the book yourself.

For my senior year I found out from a classmate that I could opt into honors and picked up two dual-credit courses. (Western Civ I and British Lit)
>>
>>7375788
>Who cares if it benefits society.

This attitude is why the west is declining.
>>
>>7375948
the west is always declining
>>
>>7375948
The West is triller than it's ever been.
>>
It would if our policymakers would get their heads out of their ass (assuming U.S.) and institute a radically anti-egalitarian system of education, where literature is only taught to the children of well-breeding or the intelligent children of the poor in institutes such as German gymnasiums or the old British grammar school.

The fact is, most of society is not intelligent to read books beyond a YA or Tom Clancy reading level nor are they intelligent enough to benefit much from reading worthy literature.
>>
>>7375958
>trill
>>>/2011/
>>
File: BIDppiSCUAIpFXu.jpg (42 KB, 381x415) Image search: [Google]
BIDppiSCUAIpFXu.jpg
42 KB, 381x415
>>7375964
Brehs look at this self-hating Westerner
>>
>>7375969
you can find me posted up on Frank block with my fucking gang
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.