[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just noticed I read slower than a 3rd grader apparently.(~100wpm)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: eye_slow_motion[1].jpg (53 KB, 610x320) Image search: [Google]
eye_slow_motion[1].jpg
53 KB, 610x320
I just noticed I read slower than a 3rd grader apparently.(~100wpm)
How to increase reading+comprehension speed?
>>
I'm not as bad as you, I hover more around the 200 mark, but I understand the feel. The obvious and most common answer to your question is to read more, but, while this makes sense and probably works to some extent, I have seen little improvement in my reading speed. Apparently there are ways to "speed read" by reducing unnecessary eye movement and such, but the more I look into it, the more it seems to be little more than skimming. I suppose I don't really have any clear solutions for you but I'd be interested in seeing what other anons think.
>>
>>7374301
Prose read at 200-250 words per minute is fine, especially when the text is difficult.
>>
~ 450 according to some cheap test I just took.

How do I get past vocalizing to myself? I feel like not doing that is some real zen shit.
>>
>>7374245
are you a completionist? do you have to fully understand every meaning to every word in every sentence? I read at your speed, maybe slower, because I can't just be happy learning a word through context I have to look it up to make sure and whatnot and my habits make me read so slow
>>
>>7374317
>How do I get past vocalizing to myself? I feel like not doing that is some real zen shit.
Stop falling for memes
>>
>>7374245
The more I read the slower I get, and the less 'linear' my eye path movement becomes, I'll go back over words five times before finishing sentences, will go back to prior sentences, look ahead to upcoming ones then fill in the gaps, revisit old pages, etc.
>>
>>7374317
If anything, vocalizing is a good thing.
>>
>>7374422
y?
>>
>>7374418
>look ahead to upcoming ones
When I get to really intense parts of books I struggle to keep myself from doing that. It's as if my reading speed can't keep up with my anticipation.
>>
>>7374628

It's actually not. We have limited capacity for what we can be conscious of at a given time, so when reading rich literature you want as much of that space as possible for taking in the themes/subtext/etc.

I overcame subvocalization using the word flashing method, the kind where each word from a text will pop up individually at high speed. Before doing a 10,000 word session I would meditate for 10 minutes to get a clear head. You should start there and if it doesn't work after 20 sessions, try something in the way of speed reading. It's basically the same thing, but a course is designed to get you results. The whole key is to get out of your head when reading, something a speed reading course should do.
>>
>>7374999
Can you recommend any courses? Or specific terms I should Google to get my own setup going?

>reading rich literature you want as much of that space as possible for taking in the themes/subtext/etc.

That's what I'd like to achieve. It feels sort of dirty when I'm reading dialogue in my own voice, and descriptions of things. Like I'm talking to myself rather than listening or experiencing directly. Not directly concerned about speed but just shutting up myself.
>>
>>7375007
>It feels sort of dirty when I'm reading dialogue in my own voice, and descriptions of things. Like I'm talking to myself rather than listening or experiencing directly.

What? When im reading prose, i use the descriptions to build a picture in my head. It's like watching a movie in my mind and it's awesome.
>>
>>7374245
Are you memorizing the text while reading. This makes a difference.
>>
>>7375562
>It's like watching a movie in my mind and it's awesome.

That sounds pretty awful.

When you listen to music, do you picture a movie in your head? When you watch a movie, do you picture yourself reading text describing what happens in the movie?
>>
>>7375562
It's distinct from experiencing it directly though like you would with a film or music. There's always that filter of the self who's constantly talking to you and that you have to interpret through. Obviously even if you don't subvocalize the words are still being interpreted by you but I feel that it's a purer state. It doesn't bother me too much since I still read a lot but I enjoy it more/find I'm more engrossed when I haven't been subvocalizing to myself. So if that's a habit that be killed with some amount of effort, I'd like to do it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.