[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a name for when a word is misspelled by replacing a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: hoe do i grammer.jpg (235 KB, 1208x777) Image search: [Google]
hoe do i grammer.jpg
235 KB, 1208x777
Is there a name for when a word is misspelled by replacing a syllable with something phonetically similar?
Pic related. Hope you can understand what I mean.
I don't think "homophone" is the right term for it, since the misspelling is often not a valid word and not picked on purpose.

My mother is an English teacher and she's asked me about this a few times because she sees it very often in small children, but I've never been able to find out what it's called.
>>
>>7373574
dyslexitude
>>
>>7373581
But that's not a word
>>
'Quite' and 'loose' are pronounced differently to 'quiet' and 'lose', though. These are just spelling errors.
>>
>>7373633
Are there different recognized categories of spelling errors?
To me, there's adifference between errors like "committment" and "biach". It'd be fair to say that they happen due to different reasons, in the first example, the writer isn't sure of the repeated consonants, while the latter is what I believe to be the writer trying to guess the spelling from the pronunciation.
>>
It might be this, OP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection
>>
>>7373684
I think it might be it, or play a big role in it.
My theory is that the writer is trying to re-create the spelling of the word from it's pronunciation and what grammatical rules they think would apply to it.
>>
>>7373684
>>7373703
Thanks for the link, by the way, forgot to say it in my post.
>>
>>7373574
malapropism?
>>
>>7374073
Thanks a ton Anon, this is the closest I've gotten
It doesn't really cover it as much as I'd like since examples such as "dieing", but it is dead-on for 3/4 examples in the OP.
>>
>>7374222
Checked on Wikipedia some more, I believe I found what I was looking for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventive_spelling
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.