[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about the use of internet colloquialisms in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: word of the year.png (18 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
word of the year.png
18 KB, 120x120
How do you feel about the use of internet colloquialisms in literature and journalism?

I came across this example of it, by the 59 year old Houellebecq no less:

>It’s unlikely that the insignificant opportunist who passes for our head of state, or the congenital moron who plays the part of our prime minister, or even the “stars of the opposition” (LOL) will emerge from the test looking any brighter.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/21/opinion/how-frances-leaders-failed-its-people.html

Is this to become the norm now?
>>
It is the abbreviation for the French opposition party you mong (L'organisation Libérale)
>>
>>7372165
They wouldn't use that abbreviation so casually in the New York Times for an American audience, m8. Houellebecq is lmaoing.
>>
>>7372159

It's the job of literature and journalism to reflect current culture. It can go nowhere without referencing popular slang, or internet memes.
>>
>>7372165
I guess it's a double entendre
>>
>>7372172
>It's the job of literature and journalism to reflect current culture
No it's not
>>
File: 1000.png (25 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1000.png
25 KB, 160x160
>>7372235
Why not?
>>
>>7372235
This nigga reads his news in aowylde Aengylifh
>>
>>7372400
English without emoji's and internet slang is the same as aowylde Aengylifh yes.
>>
>>7372159

it's pretty lol desu senpai
>>
File: 615.png (8 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
615.png
8 KB, 160x160
>>7372404
Prescriptivism is shit.
>>
>>7372159
it's less weird in french
he could have written MDR (rarely used, mort de rire) but wrote LOL because it's a wholesale borrowing that doesn't retain the connotations
this isn't an english person using it, it's a translated text
>>
>>7372749
So French people find it normal to use "kekked myself to death" as a snide comment? Pretty cool.
>>
>>7372760
it's not really used, it's been supplanted by LOL
english is the imperial language
i think mainly, though, in this case it is that you can say "LOL" as acronym but MDR does not work
>>
text-speak is a sublanguage just like any spoken dialect is.

It's use in written language can be done in a way that magnifies or subverts meaning in really clever ways, or really shitty ones, all of which depend on the writer, the message, and ultimately the audience.

>implying
>>
>>7373277
>dude 1984 LMAO xD
>>>/r/books
Fuck off. I bet you haven't read any of Orwell's non-fiction.
>>
>>7372165
>nine hours later and nobody has pointed out that this is pure bullshit I made up
Disappointed desu /lit/
>>
>>7373299
because nobody cares
>>
>>7373677
The entire thread was based on that Houellebecq quote senpai
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.