[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you guys recommend me interesting books that you would say
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 18774981[1].jpg (16 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
18774981[1].jpg
16 KB, 310x475
Can you guys recommend me interesting books that you would say have had a strong impact on your lives?
No fiction preferably, pic related did it for me.

inb4 New Atheist nonsense shitposting

I'm not trying to make a thread about religion or atheism, this book helped me because it mapped out some truths about consciousness and meditation to me.
>>
have you heard of richard dawkins?
>>
I recommend "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins.

Did you know he also invented the word "meme"?
>>
>>7371940
>>7371941
Have you heard of going to hell?
>>
>>7371945
back off???
>>
File: 1366859194147.png (135 KB, 591x432) Image search: [Google]
1366859194147.png
135 KB, 591x432
>>7371941
>>7371944
>>7371945
>>7371948
Please
>>
>>7371940

"SLEEPING DOWN" BY HARRY SAMUELS.
>>
>>7371979
No anti-semitic beaners ITC please
Btw you're not an INTP
>>
>>7371940
What's good about this book in your opinion?
I was thinking of giving it a read.
I find the title very arrogant and presumptuous which puts me off, but overall I quite like Sam Harris.
>>
File: lhMk-EhS.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
lhMk-EhS.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
WAKE ME UP
>>
>>7371986
Firstly it's written in an incredibly sound manner, which makes me feel super comfortable, in general I just really enjoy listening to Sam Harris.

Beyon that, I was always interested in the nature of subconsciousness and the majority of the book actually deals with that, there is very little anti-theism though it is present.

I'm an atheist and I agree with everything Harris has to say about Abrahamic teachings, and the metaphysics of Eastern traditions.
I had looked into meditation before but this book was a guideline on how to actually meditate, what the actual purpose of meditation was and it cites a huge body of science that supports the claims that people who meditate make.

There is nothing metaphysical about meditation or expanding your mind, it's all scientific and Sam Harris extrapolates this extremely well.

I don't think the title is arrogant, "Waking Up" refers to the benefits of mindfulness, of escaping the cascade of thought that makes every person walk through life on auto-pilot.
>>
>>7371940
Is this Infinite Jest
>>
>>7371997
Thanks anon, that's a nice synopsis. You've sold me on it pretty well.
>>
>>7371979
i've never seen you be funny, rei
i laughed at this (OUT LOUD)
are you drunk?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.