[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Updike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: theme1.jpg (309 KB, 1400x1047) Image search: [Google]
theme1.jpg
309 KB, 1400x1047
What does /lit/ think of John Updike? Do you prefer his novels, stories, poems? Does his literary criticism carry any weight?

I've always seen his name pop up in anthologies, his work is always lauded and admired, by I've been underwhelmed by the (admittedly) small amount I've read by him.
>>
>>7371374
Let Wallace form an opinion 4u
>>
definition of reddit-core, along with most of the npr /american life """"""""""writers"""""""" etc (you know the type)

in short, it goes right to le trash , unless youre trying to pickup 'not that kind of girl' girls
>>
>>7371380
>'not that kind of girl' girls
ah, the best kind
>>
I tried to read it in middle school, granted, but something about Rabbit Run's storytelling was so bleak that I couldn't finish it. It had a really sad atmosphere.
>>
>>7371379
Wallace liked Updike in general.
>>
>>7371374
I tried Rabbit, Run because it's supposed to be one of his best. Only made it halfway through as I was loathing it so much. Decided to watch the movie version anyway to see if it would inspire me to continue, but all it did was make me glad I'd given up on the book.

I like to give authors multiple tries, so I'll try some more by him sometime.
>>
Anon: You've got Updike on your shirt.
Anon 2: What's Updike?
Anon: Don't trigger me!
>>
>>7371384
the very best
>>
>>7371423
>I'll try some more by him sometime.
The Centaur is great senpai
Updike himself was undoubtedly one of the best novelists of his generation. His prose was easily THE best.
>>
>>7371380
god bless you
>>
>>7371391
He ripped updike a new one in that one essay though.

Rabbiit Run was really fun.
>>
>>7372501
Nah, he ripped that single book. So again, he liked Updike in general.
>>
>>7372674
I remember some line about Updike being a cock with a thesaurus
>>
>>7373186
Ehh I might be misrepresenting this. Disregard that, I suck cocks.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.