[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greek Tragedy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 23652_greek_tragedy_mask.jpg (106 KB, 1200x794) Image search: [Google]
23652_greek_tragedy_mask.jpg
106 KB, 1200x794
How do I write a play that is a tragedy?
What are your favourite tragedy plays?
>>
>>7370978
Kierkegaard believed that a tragedy is great because of the ambiguity as to whether a tragic hero erred and incurred his own punishment, or whether he was fated to be punished from the beginning.

Crucially, if the tragedy is entirely the hero's fault (he is totally capable of determining his own fate) then the dramatic element disappears. There's no use agonizing over somebody who willingly chose to do the wrong thing with no fate involved.
>>
write an autobiography
>>
>>7370978
Read Aristotle's Poetics. I pretty certain it wasn't designed as advice for playwrights, but it will likely have all the information you need.

I like a good contemporary tragedy that's not too melodramatic or formal. A lot of Ibsen is like that, so those tend to be my favourites.
>>
>>7371003
best ibsen play?
>>
>>7371007
A Doll's House. :^)
>>
>>7370978
Aristotle wrote down the formula for what constituted a tragedy
nobody really follows the formula anymore because once everybody follows a formula then everything becomes formulaic and audiences get bored
>>
The Bacchae, and Agamemnon: proof that literature could still be based 2500 years ago.
>>
>>7371007
NOT A Doll's House.

Rosmersholm is great. An Enemy of the People is fantastic. Ghosts is also great.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.