[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My ethics professor argues that utilitarianism and pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
My ethics professor argues that utilitarianism and pic related is the foundation for all forms of morality
How do I refute this?
>>
>>7370813
"The world didn't start in 1863".
>>
File: christ.jpg (63 KB, 484x403) Image search: [Google]
christ.jpg
63 KB, 484x403
Point out God is in fact the foundation for all forms of morality
>>
thats like asserting consequentialism is the foundation to deontological ethics.
>>
"The people tied to the train tracks could be terrorists or grow up to be violent while the fat dude could eventually become a "great man"."

Saving more people =/= having a positive outcome
>>
>>7370813
As in deontology and virtue ethics are actually consequentialist and their moral agents ultimately seek to maximize pleasure just through different language, or that it is the most plausible ethical-theory and we all ought to adapt it?

Either way, no.
>>
>>7370843
This
The only "morally right"(if such a thing exists) is advancing the long term progress of the human race
>>
Just hop into the David Hume mecha and fire your IS-OUGHT missiles.
>>
>>7370850
>progress

lmao

What is this, 1850?
>>
>>7370813
Introduce him to Kierkegaard, who had a less arbitrary moral system than trash Enlightenment liberals who think progress leads to anything.
>>
He's basically right, stop being a contrarian and just accept it.
>>
>>7370832
It's been around much longer. The pain/pleasure principle has been around since the days of Epicurus.
>>
>>7370813
Moral Nihilism my friend.
>>
File: images.png (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.png
10 KB, 225x225
>>7371125
>yfw you realize moral nihilism is a meaningless position to take when good has been redefined to useful
>>
>>7371167
Yes, that is your face, because then it wouldn't be where good has been redefined as useful, because then it wouldn't be nihilism. Of course, nihilists still have emotions: they are human. But intellectually that's so wrong.
>>
>>7371237
i suggest you try again, only try being coherent this time.

you're in a discussion about utilitarianism. moral nihilism isn't relevant when there aren't any moral realists around to be angsty at.
>>
>>7370876
This. This is actually the answer the demolishes any non-Kantian ethical system.
>>
>>7370813
>How do I refute this?
Ask him to go to /his/ :^)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.