[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why some many science fiction writers are also fantasy writers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: jv_catdog[1].jpg (29 KB, 545x443) Image search: [Google]
jv_catdog[1].jpg
29 KB, 545x443
Why some many science fiction writers are also fantasy writers?
>>
>>7368440
>some many
>>
>>7368440
Because they're the same thing
>>
>>7368440
Because both of those genres are written mainly for kids who play Magic and draw on rice paper in Barnes & Noble.
>>
Because futuristic magic w/ tech jargon isn't much different than medieval magic w/ arcane jargon
>>
Because most scifi is shit
>>
>>7369265
magic is pretty fun desu
>>
>>7369299
It's more the image of the kinds of kids who play it in Barnes and Noble ever day. I imagine every sad little town with a chain book store has some.
>>
Because Making shit up knows no bounds.

(Writes sci-fantasy)
>>
>>7368440
Because there is no difference between the two. It's the same thing. It's a model that you use as a vessel and not the goal, at least with quality sff writers. Making a fictional world isn't the point, it's a means to an end. You use it to explore a specific theme in a more focused way.
Tolkien needed an idealistic world to show the message of Christianity.
Wolfe needed a rotting world to explore sin and myth.
Zelanzy needed a world of charlatans to point the falsehood of religion and relevance of faith at the same time.
Le Guin needed no sex people to explore identity.
And so on.
>>
>>7368440
FEDORAS
>>
>>7369333
>Because there is no difference between the two. It's the same thing.

science fiction: we will solve this problem using this technology, which works this way, based on this research

fantasy: we will solve this problem with magic. don't ask how it works, fucko.
>>
>>7368440
Imagination
>>
>>7370861
Both don't ask how it works, with a few exceptions. Science fiction is just as magical as fantasy.
>>
>>7368440
Because science fiction is a subset of fantasy.
>>
Its all fantasy OP just different kinds
>>
>>7368440
I love these turbopleb threads, can't these go to the video game board??
>>
>>7371833
you must be an arts student. you secretly loathe the STEM students because they are learning something practical while you deconstruct Baudrillard and rehearse "do you want fries with that" for your future career.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.