[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1984 vs. Brand New World. What had a better or more effective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: utopiadystopia_smaller.jpg (198 KB, 700x547) Image search: [Google]
utopiadystopia_smaller.jpg
198 KB, 700x547
1984 vs. Brand New World. What had a better or more effective dystopia? Which do you think our world would end up in?
>>
we are not having this thread again
please die
>>
File: 1312291457832.jpg (17 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
1312291457832.jpg
17 KB, 367x388
>BNW
>dystopia
>>
>>7364198

>being a pleasure drone
>>
>>7364208
you've never taken opiates huh
>>
>>7364182
Brave New World would be the left tree while 1984 would be the tree looking explosion on the right
>>
>>7364228
hiiiiiiigh schoooool
>>
>>7364228
yup this guy is right. NOW we can close the thread
>>
>controlled by a totalitarian state while drugged so silly you can't see straight
>"but anon can't you see: it's clearly a utopia!!!"
>>
The right is Catholic. The left is protestant.
>>
>>7364230
I didn't have to read those books in high school anon
>>
>>7364182
1984 is much scarier because it's what is happening right now
t. American conservative protestant
>>
>>7364234
Ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>7364242
Well this:
>>7364228
is one of the dumbest things I've seen on /lit/
>>
>>7364216

I have taken painkillers but other than feeling like I'm riding clouds I'm not so turned on by them. Plus the constipation is too much of a consequence for me.
>>
>>7364252
Yes but being knowledgeable, aware, and blissful is a much nobler and more worthwhile pursuit.

"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied."
>>
>>7364260
>Mill
You have to be 18 to browse this site.
>>
>>7364264
Drats! I'm 20. :(
>>
>>7364264
>thinks a life of drugs is superior to a life of melancholy genius

You have to have an IQ above 85 to browse /lit/.
>>
>>7364253
It was a joke comment. Calm down buddy.
>>
File: dennis.gif (1 MB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
dennis.gif
1 MB, 250x233
>>7364234
>implying you aren't controlled by a totalitarian state already
>implying you aren't already drugged silly if not by actual drugs by the psychological effects of the Internet and post-industrial culture and societal comforts
>implying you see straight right now
>implying there is an objective "seeing straight"

>>7364260
>Yes but being knowledgeable, aware, and blissful is a much nobler and more worthwhile pursuit.
>nobler and more worthwhile pursuit.

awwww did daddy teach you that?

>>7364260
>>7364234
>>7364208

if there isn't a process or drug that renders you stable and manageable we will create one for you or you will be disposed of as an inconvenience
>>
>>7364234
Define utopia.
>>
>>7364269
>Inferring anything other than my not liking Mill
Slow your roll, bud
>>
1984 is the only dystopia there anon.
But we are walking towards BNW, just a couple more hundred years.
>>
>>7364260
Is it though?
I really don't think so.
Plus creating an existence where people don't feel the need to be better than anyone else doesn't seem very dystopian to me.
>>
File: 1404315810588.jpg (70 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1404315810588.jpg
70 KB, 900x900
>>7364269
>tfw Stoicism is dead
>tfw Epicurism was butchered by hipsters

Marcus Aurelius was right, but so was Stalin: we need more gulags.
>>
>>7364272
Sure, we're already living in a mindless addiction-, sex-, and drug-controlled Brave New World. Nothing new there. That doesn't make modern America a utopia by any means though.
>>
>BNW
>Everyone is happy all the time
>Everyone loves their job
>Everyone gets soma
>Everyone is happy being a useful part of society
>The ones that want to be individuals are sent to islands where they can be happy without destroy the fabrics of society
>Somehow this is dystopian

I'd much rather be happy than an individual, but whatever you people say.
>>
File: neuron.jpg (413 KB, 1556x1556) Image search: [Google]
neuron.jpg
413 KB, 1556x1556
>>7364280

I look forward to more advanced simulations of your flavor of butthurt than your current efforts are capable of providing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laoq1eeIUxQ

relevant
>>
>>7364182
>Brand New World
Can't say I've heard of that one OP.
>>
>>7364286
>sex all the time

when will modern societies realize the benefits of this
>>
>>7364396

ikr we literally have an infinite amount of energy on our hands with the right conditions
>>
File: don_disgusted.png (515 KB, 899x677) Image search: [Google]
don_disgusted.png
515 KB, 899x677
>>7364260
>being knowledgeable and unhappy is better than being ignorant and happy

You're the same trash that says that existing in a computer simulation where you are always happy is a bad thing because "it isn't the real thing."
>>
I thought it modern day was a combination of both, rather one or the other
>>
>>7364182
>Brand New World

I don't think I'm familiar with that book.
>>
>>7364423
I deserve the right to choose between a life of happiness and unhappiness. No one should deprive that from me.

You sound like >>7364272 who was talking about "disposing of people as an inconvenience" if they didn't fit in with the hivemind of society.
>>
>>7364208
Right now I am just a miserydrone anyway
>>
We're approaching 1984 at lightning speed, look at feminism.
>>
>>7364198
I am so sick of this fucking response. BTW is fucking terrifying you are a faggot for wanting such a world.
>>
>>7366722
*BNW
>>
My gf thinks both works are shit, but she says BNW world is a lot more accurate of a prediction. But she also says 1984 wasn't a prediction anymore than Animal Farm was.
>>
>>7366722
Explain your point. "Faggot" has never convinced anyone of anything. This is /lit/
use your language.
>>
There is no such thing as perfect bliss and any model of society built upon that idea will crumble in a chaotic, arbitrary way. I'm not exactly opposed to allowing idiots to throw their sovereignty away though.

>>7364423

And yet without connection to reality our very survival wouldn't be in our hands anymore. Are you sure you're not the trash?
>>
>>7366786
It dehumanizes us in one of the most sickening ways. All traces of individuality are gone and I like as one anon put it, we would be "pleasure drones". The point to life is not to endlessly feel pleasure, but to feel pain and suffering, to endure what the world will throw at you. Pleasure without suffering is inane anways, if you want people to have true happiness, to maintain a sense of self and culture you wouldn't want the world Huxley presents us with. As I said it amazes me anyone would dare call BNW a utopia and it leads me to believe they lead a sad existence right now, sitting in their mother's basement, a NEET, posting for hours on 4chan about their perfect girl and how they wish they were happy.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.