[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you spend $100 on a leather-bound Bible in English and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: WP_20151117_001.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151117_001.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1456
>tfw you spend $100 on a leather-bound Bible in English and Latin
My life has become consubstantial with memes. I feel like shit.
>>
>>7362632
So you occasionally buy fancy things. I don't see the problem. Everybody likes a fancy book now and again. Or did you buy eight?
>>
>>7362632
https://www.mormon.org/free-bible

You should
>>
>>7362632
If you are going to spend $100 on a book, that is the one to get.
>>
Nice bible. You a catholicfag? D-R is a shit translation though, desu. Does not match up at all the grace and power of KJV prose.

Unfortunately the Protestants were always better at translating the bibles into English.
>>
>>7362642
>>7362651
Thanks for the reassurance. It's just problematic that I'm a student and my savings are running out.

>>7362673
Yeah, I'm Catholic. I've heard that about D-R but I haven't had a look for myself yet.
>>
File: otto.jpg (10 KB, 230x348) Image search: [Google]
otto.jpg
10 KB, 230x348
>>7362632
>tfw I spent £52 ($80) on new hardback of this book because it was only good print available
>tfw it's a masterpiece
No regrets
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0253344719
>>
>>7362696
>I'm a student and my savings are running out.
What I do, when I want to buy something, but I don't have a lot of money is I say, "I'll buy it next month" and you keep saying that as long as you have to. You get kind of addicted to denying yourself.
>>
>>7362696
Just one example:

And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. (KJV)

And he shall judge the Gentiles, and rebuke many people: and they shall turn their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into sickles: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they be exercised any more to war. (D-R)

the lovely wording of "beat swords into ploughshares" is lost, and "exercised any more to war" is overly Latinate and bad English prose.

But I commend you for learning the language of our Church. I am a shitty cafeteria Catholic but even a piece of shit heretic like me only needed to go to Tridentine Mass once to realize what an inestimable loss of cultural heritage liturgical reform was.

If you have additional money to spend on a piece of English-language heritage, you can get an awesome leather bound KJV with the deuterocanon (fucking protfags call it apocrypha) from Cambridge press.

I should probably start praying the rosary everyday, to be honest sempai.
>>
>>7362632
I payed 50$ for a Jerusalem bible I don't read because I read other stuff. Feels bad that protties know it more than I do, but reading Aquinas is a priority atm.
>>
>>7362730
Protties gon' prot, but you can rest in the reassurance that sola scriptura is transparent bullshit and you have Sacred Tradition, the Magisterium and the incomparable glory of the Tridentine Liturgy on your side.
>>
>>7362716

That's just procrastination and comes to all peoples quite naturally and easily.
>>
>>7362770
No it's not, it's called restraint. There's a big fucking difference.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.