[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your favorite novel of all time. I always felt like this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: Grendel.jpg (19 KB, 200x299) Image search: [Google]
Grendel.jpg
19 KB, 200x299
Post your favorite novel of all time.

I always felt like this book was criminally underrated.
>>
I love that book. Unfortunately lent my copy to an ex and never got it back.
>>
>>7362505
The cover looks like a pepe to me. I have a serious problem.
>>
>>7362532
Exactly my thoughts.
>>
File: The-Twelve-Chairs.jpg (237 KB, 600x906) Image search: [Google]
The-Twelve-Chairs.jpg
237 KB, 600x906
>>
>>7362532
>>7362536
its clearly le happy merchant
>>
>>7362532
I thought it was one until I opened the thread.
>>
File: J-R.png (130 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
J-R.png
130 KB, 325x500
Right now I'd say pic related.

So good.
>>
File: 0393007952_large.jpg (54 KB, 318x475) Image search: [Google]
0393007952_large.jpg
54 KB, 318x475
>>7362505

My favorite novel of all time is War and Peace.

However, I would like to use the OP topic of underrated books to mention one of my personal favorites, a work that has helped me thorough various crises in my life, and a continuous source of inspiration: Nothing Like the Sun, by Anthony Burgess.

OP, I have one book of criticism by Gardner, if I am not mistaken the title is “The Art of Fiction”. It is a wonderful work, and to me it seems only natural that a man with so precise and common-sense-like perceptions should be a great writer; he sees things in fiction that are obvious to the writer, to the artist, but that critics-only never seem to comprehend or understand.

Can you quote me some of the most beautiful passages of Gardner’s novel?
>>
File: 1447277327814.jpg (92 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
1447277327814.jpg
92 KB, 736x414
I need help fellow /lit/izens, I've been wanting to improve the quality of writing in my essays for some time but have not found many quality sources to improve my ability in this particular format. I checked the wiki for any lists on books about essays but came up dry. So I must ask if anybody has some good sources for great essays or a collection that may inadvertently teach me from simply reading and analyzing them.

(pic unrelated)
>>
>>7363098
Shit, I posted it in the wrong place. I'm an autist.
>>
>>7363098

I think Montaigne would be an obvious answer: read him; even if you don’t learn much with his style you will still love the man.

Emerson is another good essay writer.

You know what you could do to start writing essays? Practicing, but not from nothing. I would suggest the following: buy some good book of quotations, where you will find lots of great phrases and aphorisms by fields and subjects. Select some topic, for example, “Truth”, then read a lot of aphorisms and phrases about it, and start to comment on them, give your own opinions about them, oppose them or applaud them, but make sure you keep debating the topic, trying to defend one point of view, or more points of view, or simply stating and defending various points of view but not choosing any of them.

Use quotations and aphorisms as the initial sparks for your own thoughts and perceptions, and flesh your own essay using them as bones and sinews.
>>
File: the unconsoled.jpg (35 KB, 316x500) Image search: [Google]
the unconsoled.jpg
35 KB, 316x500
the unconsoled
>>
>>7362532
The main character is literally pepe
>>
>>7363134
weird af book. good though
>>
>>7362505
Thanks OP, I hadn't heard of that before.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.