[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/ what books should I read to become a certified patrician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: images (2).jpg (45 KB, 447x329) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
45 KB, 447x329
Hey /lit/ what books should I read to become a certified patrician?
>>
My journal, but don't just read it, live by it.
>>
File: 1447060428538.jpg (44 KB, 387x573) Image search: [Google]
1447060428538.jpg
44 KB, 387x573
>>7362383
The meme trilogy
>>
>>7362383
The Summa Theologica by Ansem of Cranberries
>>
all of them
>>
>>7362383
Blooms Canon, 4 Great Chinese Novels, the Holy Books of the great religions, every book represented here http://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/ and here http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/ and here http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-nonfiction/

Then go through the male nobel winners and read the work they are best known for. At that point, you will be so sick of reading what you are supposed to anything you want to read is patrician.
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
Read what you want. The standard of literacy and exposure to literary culture in the western world today is so abysmally low that you'll probably benefit immensely from reading on the /lit/ starter kit.

Or start with the Greeks if you're not a fucking pleb.
>>
>>7362393
?
>>
>>7362706
Plebe doesn't even know what the meme trilogy is!
>>
>>7362709
Enlighten me please?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-17-22-42-34.png (1 MB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-17-22-42-34.png
1 MB, 720x1280
>>7362398
>>7362430
>>7362640
>>7362687

Thanks for the replies, folks! OP here. Will reading all the books in (pic related) make me patrician? Just started American Psycho and finished (April fools) and (Morning) chapters. Recieved Mieville's Perdido Street Station, The City and the City and Embassytown today. Gravity's Rainbow, Infinite Jest and Dune are on the way and would probably receive them end of this week or next… Any suggestions?
>>
>>7362795
Infinite Jest is not patrician, I don't know how it ever got perceived that way. It's literally try-hard garbage. Gravity's Rainbow, Moby-Dick and Blood Meridian are all endeared American novels in Ivy League universities. We look at people who read infinite Jest as either 1) state school kids or 2) community college intellectuals
This board doesn't even know what patrician means.
>>
>>7362817
I have heard IJ is ridiculously brilliant so just curious to actually explore it. Anyway thanks for the reply, sir/madam.
>>
>>7362817
>Infinite Jest is not patrician
Fuck in if it's true. A lot of patricians I know owns a CD of Nirvana's Nevermind.
>>
>>7362729

>meme trilogy
Infinite Jest, Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow

>junior varsity meme trilogy
2666, The Recognitions, Women and Men/one of Delillo's
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.