[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are people on /lit/ who actually read translations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: bertrand-russell.jpg (55 KB, 766x431) Image search: [Google]
bertrand-russell.jpg
55 KB, 766x431
>there are people on /lit/ who actually read translations

Why would you do that? It's like watching a film upside down.
>>
It's nothing like that.
>>
>>7362377
its like watching a translated film
>>
File: 4.jpg (87 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
87 KB, 400x600
>>7362377
I don't have time to waste learning other languages when I have so many books to read and I'm already native in the language best suited to reading the widest range of literature on the planet.
>>
File: tfw started with the greeks.jpg (103 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
tfw started with the greeks.jpg
103 KB, 400x500
the best and worst cant be lost in translation
>>
I have no choice. I don't have the time nor the energy to learn another language. I'm very selective in choosing which translation to read though, I always strive for top quality.
>>
>>7362377
It's not.

It's like watching a film through a glass window. The worst the translator, the dirtier and opaque the window.

I'm genuinely surprised that there aren't many threads about translation in /lit/
>>
A lot of translated titles are better than the original book. Translation is itself an art and I think we should systematically mark the translator as a co-author.
>>
>plebs on here ramble on about the genius of dostoevsky and tolstoy and checkhov
>ask them if they know russian
>hear nothing but crickets

LOL, pseudo intellectuals in ruins!
>>
>>7362377
Because it's still fun. I don't care what the original author said or meant, if I'm finding meaning and enjoyment in the translated work, I'll read it.
>>
File: b4.jpg (7 KB, 222x225) Image search: [Google]
b4.jpg
7 KB, 222x225
>>7362381
>>
>>7362377
No, it's not. It's like watching a film that's remake of a film. Sometimes the remakes are better than the original. Reminder that the writers you think of as patricians read translations.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.