[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iliad vs Odyssey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
The ultimate literary battle:
The Iliad or The Odyssey?
>>
>>7356909
I liked The Odyssey more.
>>
>>7356913
Yeah, well, I liked the Iliad more.
>>
>>7356909
I feel that the Odyssey has had a bigger influence on popular culture and "storytelling" generally.

However, there seemed to be a lot more "proper" literary techniques in the Iliad. There's a more intense characterization and the prose (particularly during the battle scenes) is plain fantastic.

Remember, Goethe described the Iliad as "a glimpse into Hell", and Tolstoi thought it was "a miracle". The Iliad is the more highbrow work, I think.
>>
>>7356909
lliad = too many long-ass similes about lions and goats
>>
>>7356971
What?
My vote goes to the Illiad.
>>
>>7356971
The Iliad is utter class, but I did remember every simile being about shepherds.
>>
This shouldn't even be a question. In antiquity everyone knew the Iliad was better (see e.g. On the Sublime). If you honestly think the Odyssey is better than you probably haven't read the Greek text.
>>
>>7356966

>here's a more intense characterization and the prose (particularly during the battle scenes) is plain fantastic.
>more intense characterization and the prose (particularly during the battle scenes) is
>characterization and the prose (particularly during the
>and the prose (particularly during
>the prose
>prose
>>
Neither. Aeneid.
>>
>>7357010
Spotted the dago.
>>
>>7356909
Iliad.

There is no better. The book has a million characters whose dads all know each other; some of the most gruesome and accurate lance throws ever; and in no other piece of literature will you find so many links to the ways that trees grow.

Also Chapman's translation is GOAT.
>>
>>7356996
I'm convinced that prose is an unspoken meme. Everybody says "good prose" when they just mean it's well written
>>
>>7356909
The Iliad. It's simply a more powerful, more complex, more profound work of art. Probably the greatest poem ever written.
>>
>>7357095
Homer wrote his works in dactylc hexameter so it's poetry not prose
>>
>>7357095
Why are you on this board if you didn't understand the reference was to both being poetry...
>>
File: ta_4_il_08.jpg (17 KB, 207x210) Image search: [Google]
ta_4_il_08.jpg
17 KB, 207x210
>>7358357
>Confusing poetry and verse
>>
>>7356978
This t b h. The Odyssey is beautiful, like the sun at sunset, but the Iliad is magnificent, like the sun at noon.
>>
>>7358914
>not knowing that having metre necessarily implies poetry
At least know what you're talking about, I'm honestly embarrassed for you.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.