[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diaries/journals/accounts of people (preferably women) having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 7313364802_607974b05b_b.jpg (559 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
7313364802_607974b05b_b.jpg
559 KB, 768x1024
Diaries/journals/accounts of people (preferably women) having spent time in complete solitude.

Any recommendations?
>>
mine tbqh
>>
>preferably women

Why?
>>
File: 1443194228873.jpg (10 KB, 300x238) Image search: [Google]
1443194228873.jpg
10 KB, 300x238
>>7355934
>women
>spent time in complete solitude
Impossible.
>>
Julian of Norwich is pretty crazy

she lived in the wall of some church in medieval times
>>
File: 3000 (1).jpg (749 KB, 1919x1279) Image search: [Google]
3000 (1).jpg
749 KB, 1919x1279
>>7355971
my understanding of the effect on human beings that substantial and, importantly, wilful solitude has is that it reduces people to a very basic existence, and necessitates stripping away the parts of oneself which one might hold as the bedrocks of their personality. since i believe that we are all the same on a human level, i'm interested to see what differences there could be in men's and women's experiences of being alone.
>>
>>7355934
>women having spent time in complete solitude.

im sure by not having anyone to annoy or peers to talk shit with about their sentimental life, they become men after a while
>>
Margery Kempe.

She writes about how she comes to terms with Jesus raping her.
>>
>>7356142
she knew no solitude
>>
Immortality by Milan Kundera
>>
Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Dillard's books have a general solitary mood, as if she wrote them in a vacuum. They're like the literary equivalent of Grouper's (Liz Harris) music.
>>
File: nbcirca1890-3.jpg (68 KB, 398x645) Image search: [Google]
nbcirca1890-3.jpg
68 KB, 398x645
>>7355934
Nellie Bly was a reporter that pretended to be insane to get herself committed to the asylum on Blackwell Island in NY to uncover the truth behind how they treated their patients and their misconduct.

Her articles became a best selling book "Ten Days In A Madhouse"
>>
>>7357406
there's not much alone time in that

>>7355934
Anthony Storr has a book on solitude being good for you.

If you don't mind fiction:
The Yellow Wallpaper
We Have Always Lived In The Castle
>>
>>7356161
>Milan Kundera
That's funny.
>>
nobody's gonna mention good old H to the D to the T?
>>
>>7357644
His mom was bringing him cookies
>>
KIERKEGAARD
>>
>>7357769
I have his entire collection of journals. Aside from his actual auto biographical volumes he has three entires under Solitude which go like:

It is disastrous enough to be taken by surprise when one is seeking solitude. Yet it depends on whether one is surprised by a wanderer who has lost his way or by a group that probably only seldom comes there, but to have found one's solitary nook and then suddenly to be surprised by a solitary person who is looking for the same thing is just as disastrous as to become the object of an insane man's fixed idea or the fixed idea of a hysterical female.

It is a frightful satire and an epigram of the temporality of the modern age that the only use it knows for solitude is to make it a punishment, a jail sentence. How different from the time when however secular-minded temporality has always been--men believed in the solitude of the monastery, when-they honored solitude as the highest, as a qualification of the eternal-and nowadays it is detested as a curse and is used only as a punishment for criminals. Alas, what a change!

The journals themselves probably offer a better understanding of a mind in solitude, though.
>>
>>7355934
Tfw no turtleneck painting gf
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.