[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is cool to hate on Kerouac in /lit/? >muh shitty prose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
why is cool to hate on Kerouac in /lit/?

>muh shitty prose

Plenty of people, including myself, loved it. He was going for a specific style (trying to emulate jazz music) and it worked

>muh entry level lit for teenagers

So what? The Stranger is entry level phil, doesn't mean isn't a good book

>muh idealized bum/leech lifestyle

You like, completely missed the obvious overtones of self-awareness that they all had about their situation. And Kerouac/ wasn't simply bumming off everyone the whole time. And even if he was, so fucking what? why do I see this pathetic "reason" to hate him here all the time?
>>
>>7355038
Enjoy your argument with this made up guy OP
>>
I like him personally, mostly because he's one of the masters of comfy when he wants to.
>>
>>7355038
kerouac isn't /lit/ sry

his writing is diary tier and yet its interesting, ok wow

comparing it to the stranger? ok the phil of camus is limp but his writing is great esp when translated into eng :')

idealized lifestyle? sounds like it was genuinely fun t b h f a m

he just wrote a bunch abt what he did and it was new at the time, now it isnt, it wont be recreated just give up, the beat gen's time pass'd, praise burroughs
>>
>>7355038
I just thought he was a faggot and his book war boring and his prose was bland.

I don't give a fuck if you liked it. Only women and faggots like him. Two types of people who shouldn't have their opinions taken seriously anyways.
>>
File: 9m7ogPzu.jpg (169 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
9m7ogPzu.jpg
169 KB, 1252x1252
>>7355038
Don't defend things online by starting with:

>You like, completely missed the obvious overtones
>You like, completely missed
>You like

Just no. Modern day speech mannerisms transfer into text awfully.

BTW I like the beats.
>>
>>7355079
That's because you're a faggot.
>>
>>7355079
>Modern day speech mannerisms transfer into text awfully.
you better stay away from dfw then
>>
Ill admit there were a few passages here and there that i liked but overall it was a boring book. i read it hoping it would inspire me to get off my hole and go travelling but it did the opposite.

Also I despised all the characters besides that mexican tour guide lad.
>>
>On /lit/

You do realize the beat movement as a whole wasn't/isn't exactly universally critically acclaimed and it has probably more detractors than fans?

I like some beat lit but their fans are delusional as to it's place in the American Canon, if I had to guess it'll be left to a few notable works and that's it just notable. Even your post is rife with that proto hippie mantra "like you don't just get it man"
>>
'On the Road' is weak because it's about nothing plot-wise, 'The Dharma Bums' is weak because he can't stop jerking off to how 'enlightened' he is. He doesn't filter out the stupid parts of his life.
>>
>>7355098
This intrigues me. Infinite Jest awaits on my shelf.
>>
>>7355122
>On the Road' is weak because it's about nothing plot-wise

>somebody thinks this is a legit "criticism"
>>
>>7355159
>...then I went to another city and did drugs/had sex
And that's the whole book. A series of meaningless adventures that culminate in nothing.
>>
>>7355038

I like Kerouac, he just isn't as good as a lot of other writers.

Just because a lot of people like his prose doesn't make it good. By your logic pop music and John Green are better than schoenberg and guy de maupassant, because more people enjoy it. See the problem? You clearly never listened to much jazz either, his prose is almost romantic in form and he didn't experiment much, which was what jazz was all about.

Kerouac is cool bro, just don't take it so seriously. Nothing wrong with enjoying Burroughs-lite.
>>
File: 1398782753015.gif (589 KB, 245x176) Image search: [Google]
1398782753015.gif
589 KB, 245x176
>all these people who like keuhack
>these people think they are going to be good writers
>some of them will get published because of how shit our literary culture is today
>the horror
>the horror
>>
>>7355188
Because the joy of ordinary life is what I love most about literature, right?
>>
>>7355179
Comfy as fuck, though.
>>
>>7355179

>and then the old man caught a fish, and then the sharks ate it
>and then gregor samsa woke up as a giant insect, and then nothing happens, and then he dies
>and then Meursault kills some dude, and then he is arrested
>>
>no discernable talent
>syphilis
>lel he went down a toilet! XDDDDD so funni sex and drugs

It's cool to hate EVERYONE on /lit/

Joyce, Pynchon, DFW, these are probably the most discussed authors on the board and they get as much maybe more hate than praise
This is basically a shit place to discuss lit. Try not to take it too seriously
>>
>>7355196
DONT LIKE THINGS I DONT LIKE
RRRREEEEEEE!
>>
>>7355048
This. These are the worst type of threads
>>
>>7355183
Lmao yuppies think this
>>
>>7355346

what? could you elaborate?
>>
>>7355346
Billy b. Was just a collegiate asshole who hung out with cool people and cashed it on it, Allan and jack actually went out on a limb for their insane beliefs instead of taking a self-indulgant shit on literature with said associative credibility
>>
>>7355375
And I guess killing his wife played some role or another in his metamorphosis idk
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.