[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you escape ironic humour when you're in so deep?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: LastMinutePanic_CalvinHobbes.jpg (326 KB, 1592x519) Image search: [Google]
LastMinutePanic_CalvinHobbes.jpg
326 KB, 1592x519
How do you escape ironic humour when you're in so deep?

How can I enjoy simple things again?

How can I force new-sincerity?

Do I have to leave 4chan/the internet for an extended period of time?

halp
>>
confront your unconscious. You're the puppet of your neuroses - undealt with unconscious complexes - and you stand no chance of unfeigned joy without understanding and overcoming your shadow in some sense
>>
>>7354031
>tips fedora

but seriously that does make sense and I appreciate the advice despite feeling a strong desire to mask normal emotions and responses with humour, trying to break free form that
>>
Having kids
They'll suck up all your time, your world will be consumed by them in both bad and very good ways, you will learn the true meanings of love and sacrifice; when in your scarce free time you are approached by something mildly funny, you will welcome it wholeheartedly, laugh sincerely, and move on.
>>
>>7354049
or more likely you'll pass on your neuroses and unlived life to your children causing a cycled multiplier effect between each other of bitterness and unhappiness
>>
>>7354049
do you have kids?
>>
Meditation and social interaction. If you need to ask people on the internet how not to be a fake you need to get yourself a personality and that's only going to happen in a trial by fire
>>
File: 14455287636434.jpg (91 KB, 1062x720) Image search: [Google]
14455287636434.jpg
91 KB, 1062x720
>>7354039
>>
File: justin.lamb.fuck.cops.tattoo.jpg (23 KB, 565x300) Image search: [Google]
justin.lamb.fuck.cops.tattoo.jpg
23 KB, 565x300
>>7354026
theres no escape thats why bandana guy killed himself. close your eyes and just enjoy the ride as what remains of your self becomes increasingly fractured into a fractal kaleidoscope of meta-ironic simulacra.
>>
File: tumblr_nqis9uYhmh1u3b6eoo1_500.jpg (133 KB, 445x598) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqis9uYhmh1u3b6eoo1_500.jpg
133 KB, 445x598
>>7354998
>being really human
>>
File: tearydanny.jpg (77 KB, 600x505) Image search: [Google]
tearydanny.jpg
77 KB, 600x505
>>7354026
>love Calvin and Hobbes
>read a book with commentary from Watterson
>says graphic novels are stupid and will never have any value, regardless of their content
>Am crushed.
>mfw
I've never been able to fully enjoy Calvin and Hobbes again. There's always a part of me that remembers and is bitter.
>>
File: lucidoge.jpg (201 KB, 736x459) Image search: [Google]
lucidoge.jpg
201 KB, 736x459
>>7354031
>>
>>7354031
sure, but can you think of anything tangible? bet you can't
>>
>>7354026
Start living an uncomfortable life. Do social work. Serve others. Listen more. Talk less. Stop being a faguette.
>>
>>7355322

If you're thinking the tenth anniversary book, what he actually says is that cape comics are stupid and that "graphic novel" is marketing bullshit word for cartoons.
>>
>>7355338

Alan Moore said the same thing. "Graphic novel" is a marketing term for coddling manchildren.
>>
>>7355338
>>7355353
>“You can make your superhero a psychopath, you can draw gut-splattering violence, and you can call it a "graphic novel," but comic books are still incredibly stupid.”
>but comic books are still incredibly stupid.
>>
>>7355357
They are. They're just for mindless entertainment like a cartoon or TV show.
>>
File: shiggydiggy.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
shiggydiggy.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
>>7355360
>dismissing an entire medium out of hand
>>
>>7354026
Yeah detox from social media and limit your use of electronic entertainment devices in general
>>
>>7354026
Have you seen the movie The Comedy?
>>
electro convulsive therapy
>>
Irony is not the problem, but rather its appropriation. I would recommend reading On the Concept of Irony with Continual Reference to Socrates by Kierkegaard, and Infinite Jest by DFW.
>>
>>7355330
Go back and reassess your relationship with parents and what kind of defenses against anxiety you adapted when young and what kind of tactics you used for nurturance if you could get enough.

A healthy bond to a strong accepting parent goes a long way to put a person on the right track for a non depressed state.

Huge parts of your personality, how to deal with others, your general conception of others, your attitudes are acquired from your care takers and make you who you are without you really knowing. Only by dredging up what is usually painful and usually buried -NOT for pains sake- but for insight into how it makes you can you understand 'deeper' attitudes which you can then work to shape into something you're OK with.

The most likely reason is guilt and shame. Feeling like your desires and drives aren't good enough a reason to do things. This is essentially the make up if a depressed person, the ego hasn't got the backing of the deeper drives.
>>
>>7355366
You know things can be silly and dimwitted but still have their value, right
>>
Honestly I think a big part of it is being okay with being embarrassed or appearing juvenile. A lot of the reason people do things "ironically" or rely so heavily of self-mockery is that it means nobody else can make fun of you.

The reason kids do this so naturally is that they really honestly don't care (or a lot don't anyways). If they are excited for something they just are excited for it. There's no concept of guilty pleasures yet.

I find what's helped me is trying to devote as much time as possible to thinking about what I like, without needing to consider lit's, my peer's, etc approval of said thing. There's a reason DFW advocated action movies so much. They don't need to be analysed and "dick-sized" (he who analyses the most complexly wins). It's just enjoyment and "holy shit that was cool".

Be willing to stand by what you like. Be magnanimous whenever possible. Try to let go of your need to appear cool. Try to hear clichés without immediately thinking "trite bullshit". Be yourself. Enjoy the little things. Go out of your way to buy some special treat for yourself (maybe make yourself cookies or something). Ask people how they are doing and mean it. Try to connect with people.

And as said above, try to limit the social media.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.