[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are childrens/young adults books way more entertaining than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
Why are childrens/young adults books way more entertaining than traditional adult literature?
>>
shitty peter pan rip off
>>
>>7352835
>reading for fun
>>
>>7352840
This is my point.
>>
File: 1441093357372.jpg (33 KB, 387x453) Image search: [Google]
1441093357372.jpg
33 KB, 387x453
>baby's first time playing with razors
>entertaining
>>
>>7352835

But both of those things are entertaining.
>>
Because you read them as a child.
>>
>>7352835
dahl
>>
>>7352835
Because they are built on a strong narrative core, while contemporary adult fiction has been lost for a while searching for something other than narrative to be its center.
>>
Artemis Foul
>>
>>7352835
>Why are childrens/young adults books way more entertaining than traditional adult literature?
childrens/young adults books are way more entertaining becaue they are written to be way more entertaining
adult lit is written to be deep and pretentious
>>
>>7352835
Maybe because you're a pleb?
>>
>>7352835
Because it's more difficult to read adult literature deeply and few are taught how to do it these days, keep going, you can do it yourself, and it's all part of the fun if you take it so :)
>>
>>7352835
Not that one.
>>
>>7352835
They are not.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 200x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 200x313
Most YA is not worth your time
This was my favourite for a while as a kid.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 612x296) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 612x296
>>
File: PlebDetected.png (54 KB, 210x180) Image search: [Google]
PlebDetected.png
54 KB, 210x180
>>7352835
It's not the books, it's you
>>
>>7352835
>entertaining

That's a matter of personal taste. As for me, I enjoy most adult literature greatly, but find most YA fiction to be rather bland.
>>
>>7352835
Read Wee Free Men. You can thank me later.
>>
>>7353771
I had to read this book in school when I was 11. We had the audiobook playing while we read it. It was the most boring shit ever yet mostly everyone else thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.
>>
>>7353776
I'm pleased I still remember howto read this.
>>
>>7354935
What does it say?
>>
>>7354188
>Pratchet
RIP in Pepperoni
>>
>>7354937
>OP IS A FAG
Though it should be written right to left but whatever,
>>
>>7354935
Is that wingdings? Did you memorize the wingding alphabet?
>>
>>7354990
It was the text used by the faries in the OP book, I read them with a vengance as a kiddo and was fascinated by codes and whatnot so I memorized it and wrote shit down with it.
>>
File: the elenium.jpg (49 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
the elenium.jpg
49 KB, 331x500
>>7352835
Worthless novel. Nothing about it was believable, even for a 10 year old and there was only a single redeemable character.

Meanwhile, something actually decent.
>>
>>7352835
Future classic literature will be written as a hybrid of avant-garde literature a la Robbe-Grillet, Roussel, and Proust, and genre fiction a la Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, and The Dark is Rising. The consummation of this relationship will be contained within the nature of the different ways I listed one category by author and one by book title. The author of these future books will be one whose strident 'author-hood' is rendered subservient to the libidinal storm of his mostly teen-aged characters (literally teen-age or otherwise - the important thing is an unformedness and a simultaneous development). The difference between this new "avant-libidinization" of the public and previous young adult fiction will, in retrospect, not be very great. Only one small step is required to mutate the purely ideological wanderings of the 'Young Adult' authors which are so plainly illustrated in these sorts of fictions (via figment-like characterization, wisp-ideals for characters who beg to be exposed in a Brechtian reversal; except we've already known and acknowledged their self-evident falsity for decades and appreciate their forth-goings in the manner Barthes considers wrestling - the only further need is to their evident embodiment of cultural ideals of maturation, morality, and self-hood into a larger, more exploratory dimension) into a self-aware variety that embodies a knowing exploration of ideology. Imagine a Will Parry who recognizes his new ownership of the "Subtle Knife" (at the cost of two of his fingers) as formative to his dawning sexual relationship with Lyra Belacqua. Or a Will Stanton who questions the very Authurian mythos which invests his recognition of his own growth with so much new power - is he truly comfortable, drinking at this well? It's clear to me that the most meaningful literary access in the coming decades will come in the form of a beautiful, bastard hybrid of the flattened, paltry, deeply meaningful, sexual, and intimate books of our long since capitalized-upon youth with the "difficult" fiction of the earlier twentieth century which we eventually learned to read as we expanded our horizons in rejection of the pap we were fed. We now realize that that pap, base as it is, glows with a violent energy that we will harness with the careful intellectual reins of our benighted forefathers - the sex was drug out of them; we will re-insert it.
>>
>>7355453
Correction:

- the only further need is to *move* their evident embodiment
>>
File: Lost_Years_of_Merlin.jpg (19 KB, 160x238) Image search: [Google]
Lost_Years_of_Merlin.jpg
19 KB, 160x238
>>7352835

Get fucked
>>
>>7355460
I am >>7355453 ; that is a GREAT one too. Merlin's Lost Years will absolutely feed the forthcoming Avant-Young revolution.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.