[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will reading everyday really make me smarter? Do I need to read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Notes_from_underground_cover.jpg (51 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
Notes_from_underground_cover.jpg
51 KB, 302x475
Will reading everyday really make me smarter?

Do I need to read anything specific or can I read what I want? Stuff like pic related.

As you can tell I'm a fucking dumbass right now.
>>
In a really passive way it'll help you learn to make complex connections.
>>
>>7335374
It won't make you smarter, but make you feel and seem smarter.
>>
It will improve many things, but of-course it depends on what you read. You will become better at reading for one, and you may find that your critical thinking skills have improved. But, it all depends on what you read: read a book on logic and your logical thinking will improve, read a book on the history of Mesopotamia and your knowledge and memory shall improve, read a book on bicycle repair and your DIY skills will improve.
>>
It will improve a lot of things to a certain degree, but it all depends on what you read.

Dostoyevski will improve you more than Harry Potter will.
>>
>>7335393
what's the best book on logic?
>>
>>7335430
For formal logic:
The Logic Manual - Volker Halbach (perhaps not the very best, but the best to my knowledge)

For Classical Logic:
The Organon - Aristotle
>>
>>7335386

Can confirm this. I'm still a dumbfuck, but boy do I at least feel smart after reading a classic.
>>
File: 2015-11-08_14-46-19.png (67 KB, 1310x651) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-08_14-46-19.png
67 KB, 1310x651
here's a post from a really smart guy i respect a lot
>>
Approached in the correct way the benefits are that you will get better at reading, you will learn empathy. You will learn to tune out contemporary bs. You will think in sweeps of generations and centuries. You will learn to marvel and celebrate life and human possibility. You will become more creative and make connections btwn disparate things. You will learn the merits of effort in aesthetic appreciation

You will not get smarter. You will not be enlightened. So don't feel and posture like you are.

Art is the celebration and triumph over the despair of its age, culture, place. A signpost, a monument, the artists arms spread out to God saying you see this kind sir do you see it? i was not defeated
>>
>>7335447
>>7335447
>avoid modern authors like the plague

It was decent advice till that point
>>
>>7335456
I think it would be better to say 'do not solely read modern authors'
>>
>>7335448
>you will learn empathy
This is the best thing one can gain from the arts, desu
>>
>>7335472
is hemingway modern author?
>>
File: 2015-11-08_15-06-49.png (95 KB, 306x477) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-08_15-06-49.png
95 KB, 306x477
>>7335497
no
>>
>>7335374
Prometheus Rising
>>
>>7335560
>Died in the sixties.
Uuuh, yeah he's modern.
He's not contemporary.
But he's modern.
>>
No, read every day won't make you nothing at all if you aren't from the start an interesting person with something to say/give to the others. This is the harsh truth.
>>
>>7335374
>Stuff like pic related.
So, garbage?
>>
>>7335637
Fuck off, Nabokov.
>>
>>7335642
Nabokov is just as bad
>>
>>7335631
Are interesting persons born interesting?
Dont people have to work to become interesting?
>>
>>7335631

Define the start.
>>
how can i improve my critical thinking
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.