[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we brainstorm some good "happy" books? Not saccharine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1443501553000.jpg (154 KB, 568x596) Image search: [Google]
1443501553000.jpg
154 KB, 568x596
Can we brainstorm some good "happy" books? Not saccharine or optimistic stuff necessarily, but things that challenge the idea that all literary fiction is dour and soul searching.
>>
it's a children's book about a small mouse with a red hat that lives inside a mushroom

illustrations with warm colors and at least some pages that take place in autumn mandatory
>>
>>7334269
The little prince
>>
>>7334269
Lorf of the rings is happy. Various comedies, Wodehouse and Wilde. Three men in a boat, some Dickens.
>>
Moomins, depth and humour. More psychological insight than any modern American novelist
>>
>>7334285
I'm sorry, I'm very very tired and for some reason I thought this thread was about ideas for happy books
>>
>>7334308

The Groke is still one of the most terrifying characters of all time.
>>
A Confederacy of Dunces
Candide
The Loved One
>>
Portrait / Ulysses
can't think of any others that aren't just family fun books
>>
>>7334327
I feel sorry for the groke :( do you remember the part where she and moomintroll have that unhealthy relationship where he brings out the hurricane lantern for her to stare at? Moominpappa at sea is a legit classic. Unappreciated moominmamma disappearing into the garden she's drawn on the lighthouse wall, little my and the ants, the seahorses friend zoning moomintroll, moominpappas midlife crisis.... Good shit
>>
>>7334269
Much Ado About Nothing
>>
>>7334269
Some great literary satires to laugh at human folly:

Vanity Fair
The Praise of Folly
Volpone, or, The Fox
The Devil Is an Ass
Tartuffe
>>
At Swim-Two-Birds.

Wodehouse is the comfiest tho
>>
>>7334337
Candide is a happy book ?
>>
>>7335227
Everyone finds joy in Liebniz berating.
>>
Lucky Jim
Tristram Shandy
>>
File: eros-psyche.jpg (44 KB, 630x497) Image search: [Google]
eros-psyche.jpg
44 KB, 630x497
>>7334269
Herman Hesse's books can be both uplifting and soul-searching.

A good combination, imo.

>mrw finding happiness through understanding pain
>>
>>7334269
If you consider comedy to be happy, then the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's pretty good at it. At least until the 3rd book. The amount of seriousness in the last 2 books is kind of off-putting.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.