[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As Slavoj Žižek puts it, "desire's raison d'être
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: le_cigare_de_lacan.gif (50 KB, 400x264) Image search: [Google]
le_cigare_de_lacan.gif
50 KB, 400x264
As Slavoj Žižek puts it, "desire's raison d'être is not to realize its goal, to find full satisfaction, but to reproduce itself as desire." What did he mean by this?
>>
probably some pretentious obscurantist way of talking about the will-to-power without actually saying it
>>
>>7333381
The function of desire is to direct the subject into action, this action has no endpoint, if desire could ever truly be fulfilled it would be the utter logical collapse of the ego when further action is no longer required. Desire therefore is not aimed at completion but presupposes further desire before even the current object is even obtained.

Therefore a desire only reproduces itself as desire.
>>
>>7333413
Not even close
>will to power not incredibly pretenious and obscuritant
>>
the only time we're really happy is when we are cerebrally involved in the ego of planning future happiness.
>>
>>7333381
is like those rich people that no matter what they just want more money.

Or i can think about BB king playing music till the end.
>>
>>7333414
this
>>
>>7333381
When we learned about this in high school our teacher used the Road Runner to explain what it is. Basically you desire to desire an object, not the object itself. Once you acquire the object you lose all desire and ego.
>>
Where do I start with Lacan?

I know that every one here hates him I don't care, I just want a fucking straight answer.
>>
>>7333381
This is the most buddhist shit ive ever heard
>>
>>7334405
Ecrits
>>
>>7333381
That everyone is on /his/
>>
>>7334847
thank you.
>>
While this is an interesting observation, is there any further deductions or thoughts stemming from that statement you could provide?
>>
>>7333381
That you want to want. Gee that was hard.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.