[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some truly terrifying horror to read. I want nightmares.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: 009-illustrations-brandon-heart.jpg (191 KB, 540x785) Image search: [Google]
009-illustrations-brandon-heart.jpg
191 KB, 540x785
I need some truly terrifying horror to read. I want nightmares. I want to be afraid to read.
>>
final bump
>>
>>7331840
Because unlike Kant you have no actual morals of your own and you aren't convicted enough to adopt an entirely foreign set of morals.
>>
>>7332701
OK you spooked me.
>>
>>7332480
William T. Vollmann -- Rising Up and Rising Down -- Three Meditations on Death
>>
I think there's a Donald Trump book thread.
>>
"IT" scared the shit out of me.

I read it at night, right next to this window. I couldn't afford a curtain, so I was constantly watching the window for monsters and shit to appear.

Then the sink shit scared me too. I seriously went to bathroom at night with a knife, in case the sink tried anything.
>>
Twilight
/thread
>>
>>7332480
Depends on what you deem terrifying.

I found To The Light House to be very unsettling because of the utter despair of existentialism. When Mr. Ramsay describes the complete futility of living a mark in history it really got to me.

Otherwise I would recommend something like "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream". Really good short story with a strange premise but interesting execution imo.
>>
>>7332480
Well the movie Threads scared me more than any real horror movie so I'd suggest a book on detailing the effects of nuclear war.
>>
>>7332732
>>7332790
reddit: the posts
>>
>>7332831
Only Britbongs are scared of Threads.
>>
creatures of clay, weird and disquieting short stories
>>
>>7332803
>Light House
>>
File: 41JT0CXEBFL.jpg (29 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
41JT0CXEBFL.jpg
29 KB, 314x475
>>
>>7332480
pet sematary
>>
Clive barker's Books of Blood are great.
>>
>>7332480
all the responses have sucked so far. I have no mouth and I must scream is really overrated, if you ask me. Not scary, more like, hmm, that would suck.

Different things are scary for different people. Psychological horror? House of Leaves or The White People.

Gothic horror? Poe is a meme, but his short stories are actually pretty scary.
>>
I'm way into extreme horror. Read jf Gonzales Survivor. Or Brian keenes Urban Gothic
>>
>>7332480
calculus by stewart
>>
>>7332480
try atlas shrugged
>>
>>7332480
If you haven't read it yet, then I recommend Lovecraft's The Whisperer in Darkness.
>>
>>7332480
Dan Simmons - The Terror
Tom Piccirilli - A Choir of Ill Children
Peter Clines - 14
Agota Kristoff - The Notebook, The Proof, and The Third Lie
Dathan Auerbach - Penpal
Steven Hall - The Raw Shark Texts
Marisha Pessl - Night Film
>>
find "The Human Chair" by Edogawa Rampo.
>>
>>7335296
Are the Agota Kristof books actually scarry? I saw the Notebook movie and am interested in the other books, but they did not seem to be on the scarry side. More like depressing.
>>
The truth is that horror doesn't work in written form. Seek /tv/ instead.
>>
>>7332803
Existentialism is joyful, modern Existentialism isn't Existentialism because it has no intent of curing Angst.
>>
File: really.jpg (7 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
7 KB, 224x225
>>7333508
>>
>>7333568
dohohohoho
>>
>>7335583
yall need an imagination
>>
>>7335351
Yeah it was pretty creepy for sure.
>>
File: Windeye3-356x535.jpg (17 KB, 356x535) Image search: [Google]
Windeye3-356x535.jpg
17 KB, 356x535
just about any of his books, really. but some of the stories in this one gave me the willies
>>
>>7335583
Horror works great in writing. Better than most film, because film can rely on jump scares and other shitty gimmicks to pretend to be scary, while written horror has to actually be unsettling.
>>
>>7332701
>Kant
>morals

kek, yeah if you have Assburgers.
>>
>>7332480
Descartes is slammed onto the bed by Hume "Think this aguuuuur" Hume unzips his cock and slaps Descartes in the face with it who cries and moans at the same time cuz Descartes is stupid and a faggot. Spinoza runs in "stop dukinmy husband hHume" "Hume this" time slaps Spinoza in the face with his cook, causing Spinoza to shit his pants. Locke begins gobbling down Hume's shit"what the fug is oh shit" Kant starts to jerk off hHume and Spinoza simultaneously as Hegel enters and begins to vomit all over Kants asshole Schopenhauer who had been raping Nietzsche in the corner this whole time looks over and says "hell yeah America" achopehrn cums deep inside Nietzsche s boypussy while Heidegger farts and zizek comes in and tells them how their gay
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.