[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DFW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: david_foster_wallace.jpg (357 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
david_foster_wallace.jpg
357 KB, 750x500
What exactly is New Sincerity and how does it manifest itself in DFW's writing?

Also general DFW thread, I guess
Which is your favourite work of his?
Was he underrated as a journalist?
>>
Bump

OP be cry
>>
Search the archive you fucking cunt.

Sage. Hidden.
>>
>>7331194

It's bullshit. Even if people are less sincere these days, there's no need for a 'new' sincerity. It would look exactly like 'old' sincerity, which really didn't go anywhere. It's just a posturing, egotistical hack wanting the prestige of having started a new movement.
>>
>>7331383
But I thought that New Sincerity started well over a decade before DFW was first published, but he was later seen as part of that 'movement' by the critics

>>7331353
What's wrong with a little discussion? Maybe somebody might bring something new to the table
>>
"'My chest bumps like a dryer with shoes in it"

His writing is exaggerated realism in a comic way so its easy to not see past the irony in chapters like Wardine but eventually you start to realize that it wasn't some stoner cracking up while writing jokes and some of the stuff contains genuine heart felt emotion.
>>
>>7331616
YOU'RE NOT MY MUMMY
>>
>>7331616
wut
>>
>>7331508
>somebody might bring something new to the table

This is /lit/, son.

Not only is this /lit/, you r thread was made every day for the past 10 years.
>>
>>7331616

I guess so but I still find him rather unlikable as an author.

I find him very tiresome.
>>
There are literally passages of IJ where he rallies against postmodern irony and calls for a return to sincerity, as well as lambasting those who espouse a false sincerity.

Like would you not just read his magnum opus before asking what the cunt was all about?
>>
>>7331616
look who's here
>>
>>7331616
is this rill life?
>>
>>7331950
No, it's my sex fantasy
>>
so in order to delude himself into thinking his vision wasn't just an imitation of Delillo, he took Delillo's aesthetic of pomo with transcendence/feels and applied it to life at large, pop culture, contemporary times, and tragically his own life. He called it SINCERITY

In the end he packaged a great artist's thought and vision into easily digestible essays, soundbites, and fiction. Window dressing for the unwashed masses
>>
>>7332014
but >>7331508
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.