[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
grammar question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: xcvh.jpg (516 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
xcvh.jpg
516 KB, 1536x2048
would you use an apostrophe in the sentence "it's history" or would you not.

I mean, the history is possessed by the object, no?
>>
it's = it is
>>
>>7326082

This is an exception in which _its_ is possessive (belonging to it) and _it's_ is a contraction of _it is_.
>>
>>7326083
yeah but an apostrophe shows ownership

>>7326088
Thank ya
>>
>>7326082
Please tell me this is a boy.
>>
>>7326142
Could be, but my hunch is female. Due the feminine eye shape.
>>
>>7326107
nah, don't get the two confused.
>>
>>7326142
It's obviously a girl, but who cares either way?
>>
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>7326192
>semen
You too much, anon.
>>
Well, if it's a sentence, then it has to be "It's history." Because "Its history" would just be a sentence fragment.

>>7326188
Trap fetishists such as myself..
>>
>>7326107
Only on names.

>That's frank's balls
Only the "frank's" is possessive. The "that's" is just contraction.
>>
>>7326082
Yeah, that's definitely a girl but I want to believe
>>
>>7326107
it's = it is or it has

otherwise it's its, k?
>>
I am just going to hijack this thread and treat it as a questions that don't deserve their own thread thread. Anyway here is my question

What is the technical term to describe the logical fallacy where somebody says "let's see you do better" when you criticize a creative work. I have an annoying "friend" who does this occasionally and I want to come across as completely objective and righteous next time I point out his idiocy.
>>
>>7329928
Say, "I don't need to be Gordon Ramsay to know when a dish is FUCKING RAW"
it's a type of ad hominem - your friend is implying you're not qualified enough to criticize someone
>>
Sure, an unidentified it possesses history. Just so that you can pretend you didn't violate your only speak in e-prime new years resolution.
>>
Appeal to accomplishment is a genetic fallacy wherein Person A challenges a thesis put forward by Person B because Person B has not accomplished similar feats or accomplished as many feats as Person C or Person A.

>How dare you criticize the prime minister? What do you know about running an entire country?
>I'll take your opinions on music seriously when you've released a record that went platinum.
>Get back to me when you've built up a multi-billion dollar empire of your own. Until then, shut up.

You're welcome, broseph. It's one I have to refer to frequently both on the internet and real life.
>>
>>7330532
Meant to quote >>7329928
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.