[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good supplemental books to read about Aristotle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: aristotle.jpg (31 KB, 388x215) Image search: [Google]
aristotle.jpg
31 KB, 388x215
Are there any good supplemental books to read about Aristotle to better understand his philosophy?
>>
Aristotle is quite straight forward due to his dry, but to-the-point prose. If you've a knowledge of basic philosophical concepts, you'll be fine. Just read slowly, take notes, and drink some good tea.
>>
>>7319406
Hegel.
>>
>supplement to babby's brainfarts
>>
>>7320484
lol. honestly this was how it went for me
>>
W.D. Ross - Aristotle
Christopher Shields - Aristotle

He's not the kind of guy you can just jump into, you need to understand some basic concepts.
When it comes to his works, you should start by reading Categories, Physics and Metaphysics. Some sort of introductory lesson on classical logic would be almost essential as well.
>>
>>7320035
>Aristotle is quite straight forward due to his dry, but to-the-point prose.

>Hasnt read the metaphysics

>In the 19th century, with the rise of textual criticism, the Metaphysics was examined anew. Critics, noting the wide variety of topics and the seemingly illogical order of the books, concluded that it was actually a collection of shorter works thrown together haphazardly. Werner Jaeger further maintained that the different books were taken from different periods of Aristotle's life.
>>
>>7321938
Guess I was too patrician for Aristotle to confuse me.
>>
>>7320035
>drinking tea

>not winw

WHAT YEAR IS IT?
>>
>>7321947
>winw
>>
>>7319406
>>>/his/
>>
>>7319406
Hard for me to offer a general introduction; most of the general introductions I've read are pretty awful (and this includes Jaeger's work, which you should avoid like the plague while you're beginning with Aristotle; come back to him later when you've hashed out your own views a bit more).

Maybe start by selecting one book to focus on, and then look up any ancient commentaries on it to read alongside it. Even if you dislike him or disagree with his own positions, Aquinas's commentaries are very clear, and they really do help to untangle knotty passages.

And, if you have some access to the Greek, Heidegger's 20s lectures are very good, and genuinely philologically astute, and there's a lot to learn about Aristotle from him.

Modern commentaries tend to be a bit hit or miss, with way more repetition in the scholarship than anyone should ever have to suffer through, but here are some suggestions I have:

Ethics:

Eric Salem - In pursuit of the Good: Intellect and Action in Aristotle's Ethics
Aristide Tessitore - Reading Aristotle's Ethics: Virtue, Rhetoric, and Political Philosophy
Christopher Long - The Ethics of Ontology: Rethinking an Aristotelian Legacy
Lorraine Pangle - Aristotle and the Philosophy of Friendship
Ronna Burger - Aristotle's Dialogue with Socrates: On the Nicomachean Ethics

Politics:

Susan Collins - Aristotle and the Rediscovery of Citizenship
Peter Simpson - A Philosophical Commentary on the Politics of Aristotle

Metaphysics:

Christopher Bruell - Aristotle as Teacher: His Introduction to a Philosophic Science
W.D. Ross - Aristotle's Metaphysics
Joseph Owens - The Doctrine of Being in the Aristotelian Metaphysics
>>
File: My hope as well.jpg (31 KB, 640x514) Image search: [Google]
My hope as well.jpg
31 KB, 640x514
>>7319406
>Are there any good supplemental books to read about Aristotle to better understand his philosophy?

No.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.