[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you actually started with the Greeks? If so, how would one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Homer_British_Museum.jpg (203 KB, 635x800) Image search: [Google]
Homer_British_Museum.jpg
203 KB, 635x800
Did you actually started with the Greeks? If so, how would one approach them.

Would you say they're value lies in their historical and literary value or their actually masterpieces?
>>
>>7315279
Pardon me if I sound needy, but what translation would you recommend?

I know English and Spanish if that counts.
>>
>>7315279
nigga, no one is going to go to /his/, because that board is complete shit
just tell the guy to read the presocratics, then go to Plato, then Aristotle, then the Stoics, then Epicurus and finally get into romans if you like them

read the wiki page for presocratics and read the article of each one of them, then read the apology of socrates before anything about plato, afterwards its your choice basically.
>>
>>7315299
Check out Enheduanna then, she was the first known poet: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6266881-princess-priestess-poet
Also if you have enough motivation I recommend taking a look at another translation because Stephen Mitchell, although talented, takes a lot of liberties. It would be good to have another reference. Well, you can just go on to the greeks if you feel like it but perhaps reading some texts on the possible influence of the epic of Gilgamesh on the greeks would be interesting too.
>>
>>7315279
but 'start with the greeks' was an integral part of /lit/ culture ;_;
>>
>>7315315
What would be a literal translation of it?

Also, thanks for the help.
>>
>>7315355
Give the one by Andrew George a shot. He's a renowned professor at the University of London, so it's probably very well done.
>>
>>7315264
Of course, that's how it's structured at uni.
Read a bit of aristotle.
Read the odyssey, oidipus and a comedy or two.
>>
>>7315264
>Would you say they're value lies in their historical and literary value or their actually masterpieces?
Both, a lot. You don't have to *start* with the Greeks, but do yourself the favor of checking them out at some point. If you want to do it intensively, start with the Presocratic fragments and go to Plato and Aristotle and then pick among the Hellenistics according to taste. If you're just curious, try reading some Plato. Try the Symposium or the Apology for starters.
>>
File: 1410622362089.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1410622362089.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
Why does no one read the sticky anymore?
>>
>>7315279
But anon, no one on /his/ has ever read a book judging by the post quality
>>
just read the iliad first
>>
>>7315264
not even sure why this isn't sticky

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit?pli=1#

it aint end all be all but it's something
>>
As an adult, start with the Greeks.

As a kid, start with nursery rhymes and folk tales, proceed to fairytales and picture books, and then start Greek mythology around 9.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.