[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who was the better existentialist, Mersault or Rieux? Mersault
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: TheStranger_BookCover3.jpg (22 KB, 203x285) Image search: [Google]
TheStranger_BookCover3.jpg
22 KB, 203x285
Who was the better existentialist, Mersault or Rieux?

Mersault always seemed like a whiny bitch to me, especially when he yells at the chaplain at the end. He's like a little kid.

Whereas Dr. Rieux embodied the Sissphyian ideal of struggling against a meaningless situation.
>>
>esitentialism
>>>/his/
thanks
>>
>>7313981
Fuck off. You're as bad as the Stirner shitposters. In fact, you're worse because at least it could be funny if you're sleep-deprived or inebriated.
>>
>>7313981
Are you saying we can't talk about novels now?

The Plague >>> The Stranger btw
>>
>>7313990
The Fall > both of those
>>
>>7313981

existential fiction =/= history, philosophy of humanities

you don't get it
>>
>>7313990
I'm convinced this is some shitposter from /his/ who wants to move people to his new board.
>>
his
>>
>>7313981
>>7314020
>>7314025
>>>/his/74462
>>
The Stranger = The Fall > The Plague
>>
>>7314025
Lmao you're kidding me right. What do you think Ulysses is you doof
>>
>>7314111
Good characters in The Plague
>Rieux, Tarrou, Cottard, Grand, Rambert, the old spaniard

Good characters in The Stranger
>
>>
>>7314143
Your autism has neutered this board. Fuck you
>>
>>7313972
Mersault was almost the opposite of what camus ment you should be.
>>
>>7314025
how in the fuck is philosophy more /his/-related than /lit/?
>>
>>7314167
But Mersault recognizes that the world and its expectations are absurd and he acts authentically. Where did he go wrong?
>>
>>7314174
check the /his/ welcome info
/his/ is 4chan's philosophy board.
>>
>>7314186
Link the philosophy threads. I found 4. Two were shitposting and two were copies of threads here with less replies and telling him to go back to /lit/
>>
>>7314196
heres a link to the fucking sticky where it says you should discuss philosophy over there numbnuts.
>>>/his/27939
>>
>>7314201
>The only philosophy on the board is in the sticky
Great board
>>
>>7314025

Tell me, what does the "it" in your post refer to?

Perhaps a book, you fucking idiot?
>>
>>7314201
Wow. So you can fuck off then.
>>
>>7314205
maybe you should go over there and change that then genius. make a thread. if no one replies make another.

it's how memes get popular on /tv/ maybe it will work for your pseudo intellectual ideas about babbies first existential author.
>>
>>7314214
Maybe you should fuck off and stop trying to get others to do what you want.
>>
>>7314207
cookbooks, science textbooks, bathroom readers, video game strategy guides, and philosophical treatises - none belong here.
>>
>>7314205
Yes, it's everyone else's problem you don't like the board you're supposed to post in.
>>
>>7314215
>>7314218
So The Stranger isn't allowed on /lit/ anymore? Dolts.
>>
>>7314215
why aren't there threads about guns on /o/ or threads about birds on /po/ or threads about politics on /an/?

the designations exist for a reason, it doesn't matter if you can't get along with your new friends. You can't post about whatever you want wherever you want.
>>
>>7314225
you're just not allowed to discuss any philosophical themes in it, e.g.

>>7313972
>existentialist
>>
>>7314143
Yeah I agree Ulysses did have some really pretty words in it.
You are literally retarded. Go do some hanging neck extensions.
>>
>>7314143
How is discussion of Ulysses' literary merit supposed to happen without referring to its themes you autismal fucking mook
>>
>>7314243
>>7314275
Let's just ignore the ">>>/his/" shitposter. He's never going to understand how he's shitting up this board, whether intentionally or not, and he's too obstinate to listen.

Just post as normally but if you just want to shitpost "philosophy" then go to /his/.
>>
Everyone in this thread is a retard. We could have had an actual discussion about a topic that I find actually really interesting, but instead that one fag is just redirecting everyone. Fuck off dude, they're fucking novels.

>>7313972
I think Rieux. Mersault is more absurdist in that he illustrates how fucking ridiculous life is. Rieux is like you said, really emphasizing the valueless nature of life when struggling against a sort of inevitable situation. I liked The Plague better than The Stranger in general. I found The Plague oddly romantic actually. The rooftop and swimming scenes were pure catharsis for me.
>>
>>7314344
>I found The Plague oddly romantic actually. The rooftop and swimming scenes were pure catharsis for me.
That's exactly how I felt. I think Camus was going for that. Do you think Mersault is supposed to be a sympathetic figure even though he makes existentialists look bad in the eyes of the general public?
>>
File: Done good....jpg (24 KB, 427x431) Image search: [Google]
Done good....jpg
24 KB, 427x431
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.