[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /lit/ listen to music while reading?If so what kind?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 1399952780223.jpg (631 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1399952780223.jpg
631 KB, 1920x1080
Does /lit/ listen to music while reading?If so what kind?
>>
Amadeus or a bit of the ol' Ludwig Van desu
>>
I personally like to watch a movie and swim while reading, haven't tried listening to music yet.
>>
>>7313152
Classical if it's just comfy reading (research papers, works that I'm not going to analyze or think about). Earplugs if it's not (when I'm studying, analyzing, or the text is difficult).
>>
I listen to white noise when I'm reading, mostly because if I hear voices I can't focus on what I'm reading.

Ah, the joys of sharing a house with 5 other dudes.
>>
100 Years of Solid Dudes
>>
>>7313165
Me too. Nothing worse than a god damn TV when I'm trying to read
>>
>>7313152
Usually walls of harsh noise. Vomir at a moderate volume
>>
File: mfw tinnitus.jpg (39 KB, 389x400) Image search: [Google]
mfw tinnitus.jpg
39 KB, 389x400
>>7313152
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7313198
Any recs?
>>
>>7313192
Love in the Time of Dudes
>>
>>7313165
does that really work for your concentration?
>>
I don't. How on Earth can you appreciate the music and appreciate the literature at the same time? I only ever listen to music when I need to shut out outside noise, people talking, television on in the next room etc.

Then, I would reluctantly listen to Purcell, Buxtehude, Lully and other pre-Bach composers.

I would not insult Bach, Wagner, Mozart or Beethoven by treating their music as ambiance. It would be an abomination to reduce St. Matthew's Passion to muzak.
>>
>>7313152
Only when people will not stop talking or if it is a book I've already read. Typically the Halo soundtracks, sometimes trip hop. Needs to be wordless.
>>
>>7313152
Of course not.
>>
Only when I'm reading nonfiction.
>>
>>7313374
You sound like a complete tool.
>>
Hildegard or other classical works mostly. It has to be very low key music, I also like Allegri alot when reading.
>>
No here's my tastes though, my harddrive fried so hardly any music lately.

http://www.last.fm/user/urielpie

It's too hard to focus on music when you're reading, atleast for me. Music should be a centerpiece not a topping.
>>
>>7313374
oh shut up you pretentious cunt
>>
>>7313374
So much seriousness
>>
Movie soundtracks.
Once upon in America, all the Ennio Moricone stuff desu
>>
>>7313374
Fop detected.
>>
Post-rock.
GY!BE, Talk Talk, Slint, Mogwai, Tortoise, Do Make Say Think, Yume Bitsu, Duster
>>
>>7313152
Depends on what I am reading
>>
>>7313730
Nice tom waits scrobbles :) YOu should check his first two albums
>>
>>7313374
fedora
>>
>>7313374

Purcell is more interesting/distracting than 90% of bach. Are you just reciting names of composers off a list or something?
>>
File: 1446160085107.png (408 KB, 652x434) Image search: [Google]
1446160085107.png
408 KB, 652x434
>>7313374

I insult Bach, Wagner, Mozart and Beethoven on a daily basis.

I listen to Requiem K. 626 when I take a shit. I don't give a fuck about your insufferable sensibilities famm.
>>
>>7313374
This is correct. You can't fully immerse yourself in both at the same time.
>>
>>7313192
No one writes to the dude
>>
I drink, listen to music, and read at the same time. Fight me.
>>
As a second language english speaker (thus my poor english, sorry).

I really like to listen to soundtracks from movies or sometimes videogames, once you get what the book is about you can easily find a soundtrack (preferly from a movie or game you haven't experienced yet) that fits; e.g. reading Tolstoi and listening to the red army choir or reading fantasy while listening to lord of the rings or reading les miserables and listening to les miserables.
>>
>>7313152
This isn't /lit/, fucker
>>
>>7313374
I listen to Brahms in my car, sandwiched between The Smiths entire thing and my Rap mix. Fite me
>>
>>7316613
not sure if memeing but almost everytime someone apologizes in advance for their bad english they unleash a torrent of perfectly competent english.
>>
I listen to a lot of stuff that belongs to no particular genre but the descriptions tend to have the words "psy", "ambient" and "chill" in them, when reading. Upbeat music or music with words is distracting.
>>
Do people actually listen to music and try to read at the same time or is this just an elaborate meme? You are either going to be missing the reading or the music, and all the combination is going to do is distract your attention even to the one you're focusing on.
>>
does we really need this thread every 4 days?
>>
>>7313160
this
>>
>>7313374
Just the typical fan fiction reader. Don't shoot up any school Anon.
>>
depends what i'm reading but usually along these lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i524g6JMkwI&list=PLRRAA0PEwWkE7p0cfteVoHxk1qMd4JWde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVITZUQ_uIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUlLHv7-64 this one mainly because 1-1 is more ambient so stretched is better for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcL4J0pzlAg
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 329x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 329x499
/pol/ here. I typically listen to final fantasy 7 midi's on my $10,000 player piano when I'm reading some good manga or Mahler, Chopin, Verdi, Haydn when I'm reading a good book while sipping some fine wine. Right now I'm listening to some Rachmaninov while reading all your retarded posts on your faggot board since I'm taking a break from reading pic related.

http://youtu.be/gnAQIRqvVYQ
>>
Yes. I listen to ambient noises (white noise, pink noise, forest sounds, water sounds etc.). I have to while in quiet environments due to tinnitus. Otherwise I would not be able to focus while reading. It takes a while to be able to distract yourself from the sound all together and achieve 100% focus (like it was before tinnitus), but it's doable. My main tip would be not to use q-tips and do not listen to your ipod on the highest volume for hours on end. Pz
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.