[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thomas Pynchon Dream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: oldpynchon.jpg (29 KB, 245x368) Image search: [Google]
oldpynchon.jpg
29 KB, 245x368
Hey guys, I've been dreaming about Pynchon lately, and I dreamt about him most recently last night.

Here's what happened:

I'm in college, and I learn that one of my professors, a sardonic veteran academic who studied under Harold Bloom, knows Thomas Pynchon [not true, as far as I know]. Somehow or other, I convince him to let me meet him. Then suddenly we're waiting for him in my old middle school's library. We're eating lunch, having sandwiches, me and the professor, and we're waiting for Pynchon and his wife to show up.

My professor gives me a few ground rules. Don't draw attention to the fact that he's Pynchon. Don't ask him about his work. Don't even mention the titles of his books. I say, that's fine, having a sandwich with the guy is good enough for me, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I thank him again for doing me this favor.

Suddenly a man sits down next to me at our round wooden table and of course it's Pynchon and he says hey to my professor and they shake hands and then his wife comes into view across the table and my professor stands up and they hug and exchange warm greetings and mention how it's been a while and so on. Nobody's paying attention to me.

Then my professor introduces me and says Hey, this is Anon, a student of mine. Pynchon puts out his hand and says, "Hey there—Tom" and I put my hand in his and say, "Hey—Inherent Vice." And for a second I don't even realize I've said this, but I notice the mood's turned awkward. Then I say, "Sorry, I just realized that instead of my name I said Inher—you know. Sorry, my name's Anon, I don't know why I said that. Now this is simultaneously the best and worst moment of my life." They all laugh at that.

Pynchon's wife in the dream is an attractive woman in her late 40s with short blonde hair wearing a red dress, and she's funny and a good storyteller and at ease. She's mostly talking to my professor, and Pynchon and me mostly stay quiet. Then for some reason both his wife and my professor leave the table and it's just me and Pynchon. It's awkward, but I attempt the tactic of addressing the awkwardness head-on, in an effort to be funny and candid and also to impress Pynchon with my awareness. I say, "Looks like we're in the dreadful situation of being one-on-one." And Pynchon chuckles and says, "Looks like it."

I could lie and make up a funny ending, but that's actually where my memory ends. Sorry for the anticlimax.
>>
I hate this meme.
>>
This is a real dream I had, how dare you.
>>
I had a dream about Pynchon once and he had no face, just a voice
>>
I had a dream where I met Gary Cooper. He was force-feeding me cookies. It was not erotic.
>>
I'm flattered by the fact that someone is posting a bunch of variations on my dream with different people.
>>
>>7239934
I had a dream about James Joyce once.
>>
I had a dream about Martin Luther King Jr.
>>
>>7240054
How meta of your subconscious.
>>
I had a dream that Amy winehouse and I were at the grand old opry. We didn't fuck. I just tried to stop her from ODing so she could put out more content. Didn't. Fuckin. Work. Fuck that druggy.
>>
I had a dream about Joyce once: his speech was riddled with portmanteaus and he refused to talk about anything other than his farther fetish
>>
>>7239934
Y O U N E V E R D I D
>>
>>7240225
Never did what?
>>
>>7240229
The Kenosha, kid.
>>
>>7240235
Shit.
>>
>>7239979
>It was not erotic.

I don't believe you.
>>
pynchon is being cucked by your prof dude
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.