[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
basic question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: bookshelf.jpg (43 KB, 960x313) Image search: [Google]
bookshelf.jpg
43 KB, 960x313
If I wanted to say "when compared with the account of X", where X denotes a person, do I include the ' 's ', so as to convey the account 'belongs' to X? Or may I just leave it as their name?

i.e., is it:
"According to the account of Michael"

or

"According to the account of Michael's"?

The specific sentence I am working with is:

"From this, we may extract crucial information regarding Bacon's outlook on language, which appears highly similar to that of Hobbes'. "

Is this correct?--noticing that I included the apostrophe but omitted the repetitive s at the end.
>>
It's "According to the account of Michael"

I'll show you another example in dialogue:

"According to the account Michael"
"Who's account?"
"According to Michael's"
>>
>>7232237

ah thank you. So in my sentence, I should omit the apostrophe?
>>
>>7232237
*Whose
>>
>>7232194
The 's is unnecessary due to the of. It's 'that of Hobbes'
>>
>>7232327

wow, post no. is the same forwards as backwards

u win
>>
non native english speaker here does "woken up from my delusional state that I am handsome" make sense or do I have to say "woken up from my delusional state of believing I am handsome" thanks!
>>
>>7232331

thx m8. I appreciate it

>>7232333
also trips
>>
>>7232336

the latter would be correct. And in fact, you'd be better off to say "woken up from THE delusional state of believing I am handsome", because the 'my' signifies possession, whereas someone else may be just as deluded
>>
>>7232347
thank you :)
>>
>>7232367
np m8
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.