[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time here. I have a serious question that I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 032706_Meh_slide.jpg (56 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
032706_Meh_slide.jpg
56 KB, 300x400
First time here. I have a serious question that I don't want to ask IRL for fear of backlash. John Oliver taught me that being "Transgender" has nothing to do with sexual preference. If that is true than why is it LGBT? What does one thing have to do with another? I'm assuming the answer is going to be something about how both groups are oppressed. But there are plenty of oppressed people, why has this become one organization?
>>
Because there's a lot of overlap and we've got each other's back.
Like it or not, we're partners.

Many of the issues they face, are the same issues we do.
Joe the Plumber does not see a difference between us nine times out of ten.
>>
>>6395401
Because lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender are all minorities that have to do with sex (as in, biology) and sexuality (as in, behaviour)
>>
>>6395468
I was told transgender has nothing to do with sexual behavior. So you guys need to be more clear on what it is.
>>
>>6395486
Bruh, considering you sidestepped >>6395422, you obviously have an argument/opinion in your pocket, so what is it?
>>
>>6395515
Is a pretty good response.

>>6395515
I guess my opinion is that they are different. By definition they are different. And when king of social justice John Oliver tells me being transgender has 0 to do with sexual orientation well that makes me scratch my head. I get the gay thing. It's very cool. I guess I'm justtrying to wrap my head around this transgender thing and why I should care about it. Or why homosexuals care so much about it they are making it one in the same with their culture.
>>
>>6395548
Actually, interesting you should say that. I actually would say that the problem trans face is that there are people that care entirely too much about it, the other way. I'd actually prefer if it scaled back to just being able to live my life peacefully, but I don't trust my safety that way. So I end up being out there talking to people to try to get them to understand a bit better by and by.
>>
>>6395660
I would think you would feel more safe if you didn't bring attention to yourself, but I'm not trans so I don't have experience there.
>>
>>6395401
>If that is true than why is it LGBT?

They have nothing to do with each other insomuch as trans people can be of any sexual orientation. e.g. A transwoman isn't necessarily going to be sexually attracted to men at all. Oddly though, sexual orientation and gender identity are thought to be caused by the same biological factors.

As for why they're all under the umbrella LGBT acronym: It's always been about civil rights issues. LGB and trans people generally face the same legal challenges, although now it's shaping up so trans people are facing the most legal challenges anymore. Since both groups divided are pretty small minorities, it wouldn't make sense for them not to operate on a united front to secure their rights.
>>
>>6395760
Individuals are more safe, but much more isolated in hiding. For a very long time, the bulk of transitioning was controlled for the specific intent of making sure cis people would never have to be made aware of the existence of trans people. Those who transitioned were expected to (somehow) immediately cut off contact with friends and family, leave their place of work, leave their home, and make a life for themselves somewhere else with giant holes on their history. All the while, this invisible populace's nature, legal protections, and lives were being decided without any input from them. And if one should ever be found out? Murder and "trannie panic" offered a final out to having to deal with their existence.

A single hidden trans person is safer, but trans PEOPLE are better able to make the world a better place for us to live in when we have voices, and are present in the world, and can share information with one another, and don't have to live in unending fear of discovery.
>>
>>6395401
>John Oliver taught me

Stopped reading there. Kindly, fuck off.
>>
>>6395401
Trannies are just homos who are so gay they dress like women to get more dick. So it makes sense.
>>
Because of trans and LGB's history. Trans women threw the first brick at stonewall, most transmen once identified as lesbians.
>>
Overlap, basically.
We face a lot of the same issues. Same-sex marriage being a key one. In some states trans people can't get their sex legally changed meaning if a straight/bi trans man wanted to marry his girlfriend, he couldn't before last year when same-sex marriage was passed nationwide. Vice versa for trans women with men.

Not to mention gay/bi trans people. And not to mention the loads of trans people who identified as gay men or lesbians before transitioning to the opposite sex.

And not mentioning to forget that a typical homophobe wouldn't give a shit about distinguishing gays from bisexuals from trannies. We're all the same brand of degeneracy in their eyes

tl;dr
they share some of the same issues, many trans people are gay/bi, or were gay before transition, and normies don't give a shit about the differences
>>
>>6395401
Bisexual should be removed from the fucking list im more straight than i am gay I want nothing to do with these disgusting people but I have to be here cause i find some boys cute. Trannies also need to go. They are mentally ill people living a delusion and need to be fucking gassed. Society is just deciding to enable their illness because it cant be fucked to research a medicinal cure anymore.
>>
>>6395401
Only reason gays are hated are because they don't 'follow gender norms' and most homophobia comes from the discomfort people feel when men take a woman's role or vice verse

Trans people have a medical condition that unfortunately to the outsider looks like the same thing.

'Normal' people grouped us together by hating us for similar things. LGBT is a group formed by exclusion.
>>
>>6395401
The real reason is because at the time that the LGBT movement was created, the cishet majority of the world assumed that LGB and T were the same thing and therefore treated them all the same.
If you throw four outcasts into the same jail cell for about 2000 years, they will eventually bond over their shared struggles. Especially when they work together during their breakout(AKA Stonewall in this context).
Now that LGBT oppression is starting to fade, leaving LGB in a much better spot than T, it's pretty clear that the LGBT relationship was one of necessity and not fondness. At least if the typical attitude of LGB toward T is any indication. Or L and G's feelings for each other. Or L and G's mutual hatred of B and/or T.
>>
>>6396739
>I don't get why gay men never want to date me );
>this biscum meme is so hateful! We bisexuals matter tooo
>>
>>6396825
you have a problem with people who have mental illnesses?
>>
>>6396825
Yes dear, a mental illness is a kind of medical condition, you're very smart. Now come along, we need to have a chat with your teacher about these test scores.
>>
>>6396739
Jesus christ, I'm bi, and you're making me want to throw all bi people off a roof.
>>
>>6396830
I think we need to look for better treatment for gender dysphoria other than pumping children full of hormones and stopping puberty. I played barbies with my sister when i was young. today little boys and girls that play with the opposite gendered toys gets taken for a psych eval and a fucking dumb parent tells a doctor they want their kid on hormone blockers. It's dangerous and stupid.
>>
>>6396872
good thing we're always looking for better solutions then, huh?
>>
>>6395422
>>6396669

So of it is "overlap" then what's the point? If its being gay all of the overlapping trams people would be covered under the G and L right? Why include the people who are heterosexual in the conversationat all?
>>
>>6396898
I don't know ask the straight retards who are so stupid that they think Transgender and Gay are the same thing. They're the reason any overlap exists at all after all.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.