[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are gay rights a social construct? Race and gender are social
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: pa-equality-watch-rainbow-flag.png (699 KB, 940x540) Image search: [Google]
pa-equality-watch-rainbow-flag.png
699 KB, 940x540
Are gay rights a social construct?

Race and gender are social constructs, why not gay rights?
>>
All "rights" are a social construct. We say that people have inherent, sometimes God-given rights, but that is not some innate law of the universe. People have rights because their governments allow them to have rights, oftentimes because the people being governed would threaten them with death if there were attempts to strip them of these rights (assuming they haven't already been disarmed and aren't at the total mercy of those in power).
>>
>>5975901

What constitutes a gay right though? Should gays be allowed to own property? Should gays be allowed to marry? Should gays be allowed to form groups?
>>
>>5975920

You're asking entirely different questions here. What position are you attempting to argue from?
>>
>>5975920
When people denote rights in terms of gay, black, women etc. they tend to mean rights that make them equal to the rest of the population. Usually straight white cis males as an example.

Any rights are a social construct because they're a by product of society itself. They aren't instinctual and they aren't born of the natural world. Reproduction isn't a right, marriage is. Marriage is, in itself, a social construct.

So the words social construct are a way of defining that difference. SJW retards tend to use them to mean something negative I guess, but they're usually babbling a whole bunch of other nonsensical shit so it gets lost.

I believe what OP was trying to bait with and failing was that if race and gender (I mean biological gender here btw) are social constructs, is sexuality? The answer is no. Gender is, in a way, a social construct because nothing in the natural world tells us that certain behaviours, colours, clothes or roles are male or female. Society decided that.
>>
>>5976228
The second time I say gender here I do mean the other way. It's late and I'm tired so I can't think of the right terms.
>>
>>5976228
FINALLY SOMEONE POSTS WITH THE CORRECT ANSWER AND DOESN'T TRY TO FORCE SOME RETARDED DEFINITION OF SOCIAL CONSTRUCT ON EVERYONE

Academia should come up with some better fucking words because the way laymen think about this concept is way off base. They think it's mutable, weak, and made-up, when in fact it's hugely strong, extremely strict, and completely made up.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.