[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I work in a clothes store. Its pretty small, so I usually remember
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: closet-clothes-donate-600.jpg (104 KB, 600x391) Image search: [Google]
closet-clothes-donate-600.jpg
104 KB, 600x391
I work in a clothes store. Its pretty small, so I usually remember the regulars. There's this guy that comes in sometimes to buy women's clothes. He has long hair, is always clean-shaven and acts really nervous, but that's about it for typical trans tells. He dresses in androgynous clothes (bland t-shirt, hoodie jeans, converse sneakers). He looks really sad whenever I give him the
>Hi, sir, can I help you with anything?
line (but that might just be in my head) and always says no. Should I call him ma'am next time he comes in? He's only been coming here for a few months now, so if he's on hormones, I can't really tell.
>>
>>5879256
just don't gender them at all at first, they might be uncomfortable with being called ma'am
>>
>>5879256
I see older women all the time at work who I swear are trans.
but menopause could just be a bitch.
I really can't tell
>>
>>5879256
Tell him you don't want perverts in your store.
>>
>>5879265
Okay, anon, I'll do that. Out of curiosity, though, why might they be uncomfortable with that? Not wanting anyone to be able to tell they're trans?

>>5879271
A coworker of mine always gives this person shit when they come in and makes jokes like that (to me, not to the person's face), so I try to be as nice as possible to try and counteract that.
>>
>>5879265
this, it would be extra weird to switch after several months of gendering them male, and if you're wrong then that'd be even worse
>>
>>5879265
OP here again, like how should I address them? Just leave out pronouns at all or something else?
>>
>>5879288
I mean, if I just leave out 'sir' or 'ma'am' and say something like
>Hi, can I help you with anything?
I don't think it'd sound that awkward.
>>
>>5879301
You should probably leave out pronouns.

They could be really uncomfortable being seen as male, but if you ma'am them in boymode that's kind of a pity-ma'am, you know?

If this person starts coming in dressed en femme, maybe ma'am them then.
>>
>>5879328
Okay, I see. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>5879287
U have a good heart anon
>>
>>5879355
Just doing what I can :)
>>
leave out pronouns and use "they" if you have to. i try to do that when i work cashier with everyone but especially when im not sure of someones gender

[spoiler]doesnt save me from being misgendered myself tho[/spoiler]
>>
>>5879256
why do you even need to say sir or maam?
>>
>>5879256
Just drop the pronouns all together. I never bought into the sir or ma'am shit, just say 'hey can I help you with anything?' If they're a regular 'hi, good to see you again' etc.
Haven't worked retail in a lot of years, but I always just talked to custies like they were my friends.
>>
>>5879466
It's "polite". Midwest/southern people just do it because that's what we're supposed to do. It makes you sound super fucking eager to help them.

I switched twice on this androgynous guy once. M'amed him, then sir'd him, then dropped the pronounces altogether but it was painfully obvious I was dropping them. I say he because he was like 15 and probably just a femboy.

I rethought why I even said those words and now usually don't use them anymore though. It really is a bit too old fashion.

I had an old grandma I worked with (60's) who called -everyone- hon. It was hilarious. One customer outright told her to not call him that.
>>
>>5879474
Oh, and ask their name if you just need to know. Hope for an easy tell, if not you can just call them by their name, and that's always kinda nice.
>>
>>5879256
>He looks really sad whenever I give him the
>>Hi, sir, can I help you with anything?
Just posting to say that's not in your head. I still have to do the guy thing at work, and a few other venues. I wish it weren't so, and I get so tired of all the kids and foreigners rubbing it in.

Just drop the honorific - there's almost a 0% chance this kid has been knighted. You'll probably get a shy smile when you skip it and are still really sweet.
>>
Personally I like calling men sir.

>>5879256
What women's clothes does he buy?
>>
>>5879256
OP why not just say "how can I help you today". No need say the other things
>>
>>5879554
Just normal stuff. Tops, flats, maybe a dress or a skirt on occasion. They seem have a pretty good color sense.
>>
>>5879587
Yeah, that's what I decided to do
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.