[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question LGBT. I'm at Uni and I've had a lot of people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: il_fullxfull.466107735_5hv8.jpg (66 KB, 478x640) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.466107735_5hv8.jpg
66 KB, 478x640
Question LGBT. I'm at Uni and I've had a lot of people tell me that gender is just a social construct and that it doesn't actually exist. I'm confused by this because if that is the case I don't understand how someone can be transgender if gender doesn't exist and there aren't actually any differences between men and women. Last week someone got pissed at me for using the word men because apparently they don't exist because there is no gender. Can someone please help me understand because I feel like I've been logically mind fucked and I don't understand.
>>
>>5705706
i want to cum in ur hair
>>
>>5705714
That's not my hair it's a stock photo of extension. Fuck off troll.
>>
>>5705706
Funfact: a lot of transgender people don't believe in gender being social construct. They see two genders and want to be the one opposite of what they were given. There's a reason why trutrans people shit all over androgynous folk.
>>
>>5705722
i want to cum on that
>>
>>5705739
So are SJWs full of shit about the gender not existing thing? Because I feel like saying gender doesn't exist is basically like shitty on the existence of trans people.
>>
>>5705706
Dimwitted gender marxists who want to deny sexual dimorphism and the very nature. They are about as reasonable as middle age cultists who believed in flat Earth. Ignore them or ridicule - depends on how you like to handle a dispute, just dont get brainwashed into one of them/

Also of course social constructs exist, you just have to understand that biological sex is not the same as gender.
>>
>>5705863
I get that sex and gender aren't the same, but for trans people to exist gender had to also. What I don't understand is the same people I know who don't believe that gender exists are also for trans acceptance and I'm just ove her going how do you live with the double think you have created for yourself.
>>
>>5705706
what if I told you gender do not real, but sexual dimorphism do real

that dressing up like a woman could actually be something boys do and not need a redefinition

that acting a certain way did not make you a certain gender but an individual who simply preferred something

that transgender people could actually just be regular people of their given sex who just enjoy certain things in life

that wanting to wear a skirt as a male did not mean you were a woman inside, you were just a male that wanted to wear a skirt

that wanting to appear a certain way was no different than preferring vanilla over chocolate

ok you probably get my point. women can basically do anything and look any way but when males act a certain way it's transgenderism. I'm not saying sexual dimorphism is real but gender constructs are basically "you have to like/do x to be y" when in reality people are individuals and not constrained by it. trying to convince yourself you are a different gender because your tastes vary outside the norm is just ludicrous because it would mean only people of a certain gender can like something

>transgender should not be a thing
>gender is not real
>you are just a male/female that likes something
will get hate but w.e enjoy the food for thought
>>
You are talking to feminists. They tell you gender does not exist because feminists hate trans people. Those feminists you are talking to are bed people for their beliefs. You should not be their friends.
>>
>>5705938
how does gender have to exist for trans people to exist? the vast majority of trans people are trans because they have dysphoria over their physical sex characteristics. I'm trans (FtM) because I felt like my female body was viscerally wrong, not because I felt like I had a man soul or something bullshit like that. I experienced dysphoria over my female primary and secondary sex characteristics. how exactly does that necessitate gender exist?
>>
>>5705760
SJW come from a place of female privilege so they are unable to see past their own privilege at the lived experiences of others.
>>
>>5706151
Because the full name is transgender?That implies that the person is switching genders?
>>
>>5706153
How do you mean?
>>
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
Does anyone here have any experience with estrogen supplements? I've been having an awful time with my menstrual cycle even though I take continuous birth control. If you've used them did they help and would you recommend them?
>>
>social construct
>doesn't exist

Uh, ok? How are we defining existence? Let's ask George Berkeley what he thinks of this.
>>
>>5706187
just because that's the word that most people use doesn't mean it's an accurate descriptor. personally I identify more closely with the word transsexual. I do not believe that I have switched genders. I recognize that I used to be female, but I was never a woman.

also the word "transgender" doesn't imply switching genders at all. it implies that your gender is at odds with your sex.

very very very many trans people have the same feelings on this as I do: trans women feel that they were always women and trans men feel that they were always men. we don't switch our gender, we switch our sex
>>
>>5706485
I forgot to add that though it's not PC to talk about this, the definition of "gender" is basically "how comfortable you feel with a male body or a female body." so if you feel comfortable with a male body, your gender is male. that's how I look at it at least, because that's been my experience with gender (and that's how most cis people experience gender too)
>>
Gender and sex are not the same. It's why they're two different words. If they were the same, they'd be one word. What other English language literal meaning has two words?

Merrian Webster is not run by the jews, ya twat. It's not a conspiracy by "liberal colleges".
>>
>>5705706
Sit down and read this through:

Sexual dimorphism in the brain is mostly bullshit and the studies I have found only show correlation, not causation. That would be as stupid as saying that pianists are naturally pianists because the region of the brain mostly devoted to hand movement is larger and more active. That's not correct. It has been proven that learning to play piano and having to use your hands is why the brain develops that region a little more.

That isn't to say there are not people who start out better equipped or with a predilection toward certain activities. We start somewhere, and we don't all start out identical.

Gender IS a social construct, but that does not mean transgender people don't exist. We learn gender from a very young age, especially in this time of human history with the prevalence of media. As a kid, you see a doll on TV and you think, "oh, that looks fun!" then you see women in dresses and suddenly, "well they like dolls, and I like dolls, and they like dresses so maybe I like dresses?" And eventually you see these things so much that it becomes, "I like dolls, and dresses and makeup, so this is what I am." And that is when you start to learn to be a woman. You pick up mannerisms and beliefs and social skills and you learn to become a girl.

This can happen whether you are male or female or intersex.

So this begs the question: If gender is learned, why can't I unlearn it?

Try to unlearn how to count. If you are literate, you no doubt know what comes next in the standard sequence {1,2,3,__} and that is not something you can unlearn. You can learn to be afraid to count, you can learn to count differently, but you can't unlearn counting. In the same way, you can't unlearn gender, though you can learn MORE ways to do gender.

There is nothing wrong with being transgender, trans people don't hurt others by being trans. There's no getting rid of it, and making people hate themselves for it is just shitty.
>>
>>5705706
The trans-medicalists (who take transphobic medications) are the only ones who think gender exists

I am a nonbinary polymorph and I'm 100 per cent sure it doesn't
>>
File: mtf_brain_scan_differences.png (254 KB, 959x714) Image search: [Google]
mtf_brain_scan_differences.png
254 KB, 959x714
The term "transgender" is mostly used as a PC term for "transsexual" because the latter implies that it has to do with sexual orientation and the general public are too moronic to look past that implication.

Transsexualism is a prenatal endocrine anomaly that causes parts of your brain to not properly develop according to your genitals and the sex hormones they produce. Gender identity is an innate sense of self as one gender or the other. It develops in the second half of pregnancy (as opposed to the genitals which develop within the first 2 months) and is directly influenced by the amount of testosterone that the fetus creates/recieves.

Basically, something went wrong in the second half of pregnancy and your fetal brain got too little (mtf) or too much (ftm) testosterone.This causes a dissonance between the brain's "body map" and what is actually there. An MtF brain expects a female body but gets a male one, and that makes it distressed. This is body dysphoria.

As a trans woman I am much more concerned with my secondary sex characteristics and the actual morphology of my body than wether or not I wear pants or skirts. How you present yourself socially has to do with gender roles, which are learned and varies between cultures and time periods, although some gender roles are probably based on the biology of the sexes. Gender identity is neurological and innate.

My guess is that nonbinary people are half-trans, basically. They didn't get quite enough testosterone to develop a male brain, but just too much to stay as a female brain.
>>
>>5708148
Was this study done on transgenders that did hrt?
>>
>>5708188
I'd love to tell you, but most scientific piblications like these tend to be behind paywalls. There are tons though. Have a look for yourself: http://www.cakeworld.info/transsexualism/what-causes/hormone-exposure-humans
>>
>>5708205
>reading thanks
I would think that Hrt would effect the brain physically with long term use.
>>
>>5705760
>So are SJWs full of shit about the gender not existing thing?
entirely
so full of shit that it leaks out their mouths
>>5706100
i choose to acknowledge your points as valid though i would say that the persons described therein are not transsexual
i have never considered myself to be "a man"
each of your examples conflate the causal relationship of transsexuals- dressing up like a woman doesn't -make- someone a trans woman, a person might choose to dress as a woman because they are transsexual
>>
>>5705760
Sjw shit down the throats of everyone except paedophiles, isis, and agpers.
Not even joking.
>>
>>5707081
Have you never heard of homonyms.
>>
>>5705706
> Last week someone got pissed at me for using the word men

So don't talk to that person, or anyone else who seems like they're pretty close to doing that sort of thing.

There, problem solved.
>>
>>5710983

synonyms you mean?

hononyms are like "stalk" of a plant and "stalk" the person you're too insecure to talk to

but yeah that person is dumb and wrong
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.