[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I wanted a non budget buster bolt action rifle that could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: such is life.jpg (232 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
such is life.jpg
232 KB, 800x700
If I wanted a non budget buster bolt action rifle that could reliably hit shots around 2000yds, what would I be looking at in the way of:
A)Rifle
B)Scope
C)Other ammenities
D)long distance/sniper training for shots
>>
>>30664599
>A)Rifle
McMillan tac 50, Cheytac m200 ir something similar
>B)Scope
Smidt und Bender 5-45x56 PMII
>C)Other ammenities
Rangefinder
Monocular at leasr 50x
A thing for mesuring the wind
The best ammo you can find
>D)long distance/sniper training for shots
Mathematics
>>
>>30664599
>non budget buster
>for 2000yd shots
>>
>>30664937
This
The setup will cost you at least 25k
And the ammo isnt cheap
>>
File: 1424056036545.png (537 KB, 831x1051) Image search: [Google]
1424056036545.png
537 KB, 831x1051
Some larger bore rifle.
Some variable power scope that goes over 25x at the minimum, preferably 40+x.
A 50x spotting scope.
A Rangefinder
A Thermometer, Barometer, and wind measurement device
A Chronograph
A Dragon Dildo
A Reloading set up
A map
A math textbook
A book on how not to be a fuck up.
A friend who can spot for you.
An offroading vehicle.
A bunch of wind flags
A spiffy set of BDUs
A better job.
A slide rule
A radio
A plane ticket to the Middle East
A water bottle
A can of RAID
A couple MREs
A Koran
>>
>>30664599
You realize that's over a fucking mile, right?
>>
338 lapua and a trip to somwhere higher altitude.

You could get there for under 4k gun and scope
>>
File: HCR-carry-weight-375-cheytac.png (362 KB, 852x476) Image search: [Google]
HCR-carry-weight-375-cheytac.png
362 KB, 852x476
>>30665267
So? Apparently you can just do 20 warm up shots to break records

http://hillcountryrifles.com/hcr/news-post/12-04-2015-4210-yards
>>
>>30665381
Mean for >>30665200
>>
>>30664987
>2000 yards
>25k
Yeah no its possible to get in for that much but you could do it for closer to 6-8k
>>
>>30665516
Seriously though
2k for optic
2-3k for gun probably something in 338 lapua or similar
IR thermometer
Thermometer, Barometer and anemometer
GPS
Scientific calculator
Sand bags
Spotting scope
Maybe a range finder most won't get out to 2k reliably though so it's better to use your optics to find the range.
Maps of your location.
Chronograph
Lots of time to study external ballistics and develop a load your gun likes
More time to tune your gun possibly

I'm probably forgetting a few things but it's not impossible depending on your target. Although I seriously doubt OP could hit well at 500 yards if he's asking for a budget gun for 2k yards.
>>
>>30665098
>variable power that goes over 25x at minimum
For what purpose?
No military even approaches those levels of magnification US military uses straight 10x scopes. Which is much higher than most other militaries. The British use if I remember right the highest magnification at 12x on a variable scope.
Also having such high magnification will only decrease your ability to clearly see the target because as you increase your magnification you make the imperfections in your glass more obvious. Most serious shooters don't approach those magnification levels m80.
A straight 10x will get you to a mile with good glass like a Schmidt and Bender PMII.
>>
>>30665632
A lot of scopes have bad optical clarity at their highest settings, regardless of what that setting is. A 24x will usually have better clarity at 16x than a scope that goes to 16x and so on.

But it is mostly a marketing gimmick and there are exceptions.

A lot of sport shooters will tend to use higher magnification than military shooters as well.
>>
>>30665888
>>>30665632
>A lot of scopes have bad optical clarity at their highest settings, regardless of what that setting is. A 24x will usually have better clarity at 16x than a scope that goes to 16x and so on.
No. Well kinda no. Consider a variable scope vs a fixed lower power scope for the same price. No variable scopes will be able to compete for several reasons. The cost of going into these extreme magnifications on scopes increases greatly because of the need for achromatic high density glass. This alone will increase the price of your optic by several hundred dollars. On top of needing specific lenses you need, if I recall correctly, 4 additional lenses inside of your optic which again will increase the price. Add in additional moving parts and complexity and you can see how a fixed power scope that's $300 can compete with variable power optics in the +$1k range.
Also its much more about the quality of the glass than simply assuming a that a 24x on 16x will look better than a 16x scope. Each time light passes through an optic the image is distorted further and further the addition lenses on high magnification variable optics degrade the image quickly. Then include the color distortion from each lense and you won't see shit.
>But it is mostly a marketing gimmick and there are exceptions.
Yeah. It's mostly unneeded to have a variable zoom with high magnification.
>A lot of sport shooters will tend to use higher magnification than military shooters as well.
I would argue this is because it makes them feel they are better shooters. Not to say the military is da best shooters evar.
>>
>>30665098
Thanks, but all I really want to do with this setup is hit one certain shot, and then not really need to use it again unless I'm getting paid to kill someone.
>>
OP here, I think I have what I want.
$11.6k for the full setup
http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=mcmillan&ca=5000154
3K for macmillan tac 50
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/160185/schmidt-and-bender-police-marksman-ii-rifle-scope-34mm-tube-5-25x-56mm-side-focus-first-focal-illuminated-reticle-matte?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-optics%20-%20scopes%20-%2012x%20and%20greater-_-schmidt%20%26%20bender-_-160185&gclid=CPjaxrbB_c0CFdRZhgodlcwLlA
$3738.99 for smidt and bender 5-45x56
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/710909/gunwerks-g7-br2-ballistic-rangefinder-7x-black?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-optics+-+rangefinders-_-gunwerks-_-710909&gclid=CImoyf_B_c0CFdFZhgodqGMLng
$1,799.00 for rangefinder
https://www.freelancer.com/find/Mathematician/?h1=Hire-a-Freelance-Mathematician&gclid=COKF-M3C_c0CFYkehgodq30Dsw&ft_prog=ANU&ft_prog_id=3300032
$3000 to hire mathematician to measure shots/wind resistance
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/813470/hornady-match-ammunition-50-bmg-750-grain-a-max-boat-tail-box-of-10
$100 for 20 bullets of high grain .50 bmg
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.