[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's Wrong With Tapco Mags?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (315 KB, 2352x1568) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
315 KB, 2352x1568
Hey /k/, a gun store by me has $10 metal 30 round tapco SKS mags. I know it's kind of frowned upon, but in my mind they can't be this popular if they're THAT bad. I can't afford an AK, so $10 to get almost an AK is okay by me. I'm not going to replace the original stock or paint it or shit like that so don't worry, I'm not going to bubba it. But getting more than 10 rounds is something I'm interested in.

What's with the taboo around using tapco mags in an SKS? I see a lot of people with them at the range and they don't have feeding issues or anything like that that I've noticed. Is there really any major drawbacks that I might encounter using them?
>>
>>30661020
They work, but you can get the real deal surplus mags for the same price, so most people say "why bother".
>>
>>30661020
plastic duckbill SKS mags (cuckbills) are known to suck extremely

let me youtube it and see more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nhHZdRheeI
>>
Op you're a fag

Nyet nyet nyet rifle is fine

Its that cheap because its shit and no one wants them they are trying to entice retards with cheap garbage
>>
>>30661045
I used to have a steel duckbill mag and it tended to have a lot of feed failures. Just get yourself 10 or so stripper clips instead.
>>
>>30661065
steel won't deform from the ammo being loaded into it at least, and you can probably just replace the follower and it will work.
>>
>>30661020
SKS's are good rifles, but you will probably have reliability issues with the shitty magazines available unless you want to use stripper clips (which isn't a bad idea).

You should buy both an SKS and an AK.
>>
>>30661045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0eC9cGojyY

>plastic SKS mags deforming if you load them to capacity, can't be trusted

Sheeeitt..
>>
>>30661045
>>30661065
>>30661072
They're metal, I wouldn't get a plastic one, they feel like shit in my hand.

>>30661031
I didn't know there are detachable surplus mags for the SKS, I can't find any on google, mind sending me a link?

>>30661059
I identify as an Attack Helicopter, shitlord, mind your pronouns.

>>30661116
I plan on getting an AK or something when I can either afford a good one or import restrictions are lifted and I can get a real one. But getting a larger mag will help sate my appetite for awhile. If I get only one mag, which is likely, I'll use stripper clips to load it just like the stock one.
>>
>>30661157
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX4984ZQhXo

steel vs polymer cuckbills
>>
>>30661201
So the metal mags feel more solid but are less reliable? What about this deforming thing this guy >>30661149 is talking about?
>>
>>30661382
that's just the experience I had with a crappy plastic cuckbill SKS mag one time

Feel free to try them yourself, but I'm fairly sure the magazine offerings are severely lacking. If you can find metal SKS mags, snatch them up and fuck with the follower and spring until it works 100%
>>
>>30661397
Ok thanks, I'll check the store tomorrow. Hopefully they're still in stock.
>>
>>30661020

The 10 round tapcos are garbage. I bought four of them for my PTR 32 and had consistent FTFs with every single one. Once I switched to Magpul, every problem I had cleared up and I haven't had a FTF since.
>>
>>30661612
My Father owns an AK, we bought a few tapco mags from a gun show for a few bucks, every other round was a ftf or fte, every other round. No one would buy them, we literally couldn't give them away to someone to make straight profit on them. We ended up just throwing using them as targets. I debated on this before wanting one for my SKS, but as I said, they're popular and I just can't see something shitty being this popular unless everyone is just fucking retarded. I knew some smart people that used them.
>>
classlessnes
>>
>>30661020
>I can't afford an AK
>probably spent the majority of the cost of an AK on the SKS
>will probably spend much of the difference on peripherals
>>
>>30661981
>I can't afford an AK because my SKS cost 1/3 as much at the time of purchase and I have other things to spend money on
>>
File: familyphoto.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
familyphoto.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>30661020
OP, I have an SKS that I inherited that does not have the original magazine. It came with 2x tapco mags and 1 steel surplus mag. All 3 mags are 20 rounders.

If you load more than 12 into the mag, you will get a failure to feed every single shot. They are awkward and difficult to put in, and often times do not snap into place due to the duckbill. The reason that the aftermarked magazines for the SKS are so shit is because they are much narrower than an AK type magazine.

Tl;dr they are shit, buy some stripper clips and practice loading with those. Do not retard up your gun.

Pic is my SKS from a family photo thread like 4 years ago. I cant even remember the last time I shot the damn thing.
>>
>>30662294
Damn that sucks, I'll take that into account. Thanks for the word of advice.
>>
>>30661020
>What's with the taboo around using tapco mags in an SKS?

the big deal is that they don't function properly as detachable mags unless you do the bolt mod (grind off the mag retainer lugs on the bolt).

>Is there really any major drawbacks that I might encounter using them?

no good mag pouches. awkward reloads. you'll also wear the gun down fast as fuck.

don't think of the SKS as "almost an AK", or as a tactical rifle substitute at all -- it's better to think of it as the ultimate replacement for the lever gun.
>>
>>30662462
>you'll also wear the gun down fast as fuck.

Care to elaborate? I've never heard this before.
>>
>>30662519
nvm, I was thinking about something else...full auto.

not mags.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.