[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AR-15
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 450x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 450x430
Alright /k/ommandos, just got off the horn with my heavily armed, healthily paranoid, and incredibly well informed excoworker. Buying a first gun and he suggested an AR over an AK or Mosin (he owns all). He informed me that I could build an AR pistol 80%, as long as I put on a brace rather than a stock. He also showed me how easy it was to change calibers and barrels on an AR. so far, my setup is as follows:

>.22lr with 7"barrel for small game hunting/survival
>9mm with 7"barrel for CQC/room clearing/ pseudo-SMG duties
>.223/5.56 with a 16" barrel for general "assault rifle" duties
>large caliber (thinking 50bmg) with a long as barrel (thinking 24") for sniping/cover fire/big game hunting/whatever the fuck else I could use and handcannon for.

My POU for the rifle would be as a versatile and RELATIVELY lightweight combat rifle, for SHTF, happenings, BLM riot, etc. Work your magick and tell me which parts are retarded, if/why I'M retarded, and what twist i should do for each caliber.

Pic related
>>
Fuck you niggers Im bumping this till someone responds
>>
>>30659020
>50 bmg for big game hunting
What the fuck.

Are you planning for all of these calibers to be used with a single AR lower?
>>
>>30659301
I'd pay to see it
>>
>>30659301
I was told certain lowers could accommodate all of these calibers. I was skeptical too, but that's what he said. Bad Intel?
>>
>>30659020
Unless you plan on getting a separate lower for the different barrel lengths, you will be commiting a federal crime. Once a rifle, always a rifle. Putting a 16" barrel on the receiver makes it a rifle, and subsequently putting a short barrel on the same receiver constitutes construction of a short barreled rifle, which is illegal without a tax stamp. Even having the barrels on hand could be interpreted as constructive intent, and carries the same penalty.
>>
>>30659329
Sort of. You're going to need at least two lowers. One "pistol" lower for the sub 16 inch barrels and one "rifle" lower for 16 inch and above. Otherwise the ATF will come to your house to play target practice with your dog.

Also, 50bmg is probably going to be impractical for hunting considering how heavy the rifle would be and the cost of ammunition. Something like .50 beowulf would be better because you can still use STANAG mags with it.
>>
>>30659301
>>30659328
>>30659329
There are single shot uppers for ARs that can fire .50 BMG.
>>
>>30659397
What the fuck I thought it was based on it having a stock, thus a <16" rifle is an SBR, not a pistol
>>
>>30659397
Once a rifle only applies to things made as rifles.
As long as you install the barrel first and take it off last to keep from making an SBR you can convert a pistol to a rifle and back as many times as yuo want.
>>
>>30659409
Not gonna lie, I mostly want it for the sniping purposes, hunting to me means to shoot a bear too close to my position. Id probably just carry 5-10 rounds unless I was planning to snipe.
>>30659437
What the fuck is this even supposed to mean. Im so lost you guys
>>
>>30659469
Get a pistol lower with short barrel upper. Slap a long barrel upper on it and you now have a long barrel pistol. Put a stock on it and now it's a rifle. Go in reverse and it becomes a pistol again.
If you leave the stock on and put the short barrel upper on it it's now an illegally made SBR, not a pistol with a stock.
>>
>>30659437
you're a retard. once you put a stock on a pistol it's a rifle, and you can never convert it back
>>
>>30659497
Once you put a 16" barrel on the upper, you have constructed a rifle. Converting it back to a pistol is then illegal. The order you do it in had nothing to do withit.
>>
>>30659397
https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made
when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a
barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration
not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

if you dont know what youre talking about, please shut the fuck up.
>>
>>30659529
ATF says otherwise.
>Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).
>Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).
>>
>>30659497
OP here. If I plan on NEVER putting a stock on, only a brace (for resting my head against), it should be a pistol 100% of the time, right? No matter what barrel? Inb4 you faggots say there's no way to not shoulder 50bmg or any ther large caliber, I know. Could one not just shoulder the brace at the range and deny it literally ever happens if the ATF asks?
>>
>>30659568
Yeah. It will look ridiculous and not work that well.
>>
>>30659557
Shit. Sorry. My mistake was assuming that US firearms laws would be logical.
>>
>>30659568

Assuming the RO isn't some boot-licking fudd, yeah. But I wouldn't take the risk at a public range. They do have cameras.
>>
>>30659581
Fuck me m8 I'll take it. So we're all agreed then that not applying a stock means it's not a rifle, Id be in the green?
>>
>>30659639
Good call, mostly a horrible "God forbid" rifle anyways.

Could I, in theory, slap on a stock on the condition that the barrel applied at that time was no less than 16" in length, and was no less than 16" when it was removed? Just for some practice shooting on the standard 5.56/.223
>>
>>30659643
Make sure it was made as a pistol.
If making it yourself be sure to engrave "Multi-Caliber Pistol" on the reciever. They can't really complain about it then.
>>
>>30659643
assuming you build it in pistol configuration originally, its perfectly legal, if somewhat retarded in most calibers.

>>30659663
yes. as long as the barrel is changed first its legal to put a stock on and shoulder it.
>>
Alright so now that all that shit is sorted out, am I retarded?
>>
>>30659568
Why don't you just make a regular AR and then by all the uppers you want. Because technically they're just accessories and as long as they are not on your lower with a stock they are not illegal to own. It seems like you're planning on making a post-apocalyptic Arsenal if so then the laws of the ATF would not the aforementioned firearm
>>
>>30659723
I get your point but Id like to be able to practice on a family farm or something. Also, if I misjudge the severity of a riot or something and get caught innawooda with an SBR, Id like to not go to jail because I was too lazy to label my 80% lower "pistol"
>>
>>30659703
yes, but not necessarily because you didnt know the laws. mostly because youre going through the hassle of trying to turn one gun into four guns when you can just buy four separate guns which will all perform better in their individual roles. also for buying a 9mm to do what a .223 will easily do. but thats just my opinion.
>>
>>30659787
If it's on the Family Farm and who's going to turn you in? And if you're running around the streets during a riot with a fucking AR-15 you deserve to go to jail regardless of the length of the barrel
>>
>>30659803
Or if you are saying you will turn tail and run the second shit gets hairy...then...you fail to see the use of guns anyway. Just keep your 16-inch upper with you at all times. A 16 inch barrel is not a cumbersome object. a 7 inch barrel is basically a flashy mall ninja toy
>>
>>30659795
I get what you're saying but Id rather toss some barrels and uppers into a backpack than try to strap 4 seperate rifles onto a carrying strap, plus the weight/cost of those lowers and more stocks/braces and tactical shit like flashlights would start to add up.
>>
>>30659803
Im a paranoid fuck. It's not that Im scared someone will turn me in, just that I don't like the possibility. Im not going to be running around downtown with my rifle, I mean to protect my house/cover my ass as I GTFO and let the monkeys burn their shit to the ground. I'll collect the insurance money when I get back, not worth my life/possible jail time. >>30659834
My desire for shorter barrels is mostly to keep the gun as short as possible for maneuverability and cornering in a small space where accuracy doesn't matter all that much. I don't intend to kill people if I neednt. I just want to protect myself and my family
>>
>>30659841
ill bet youll change your mind later on, but its your money. and you can always just buy or build more lowers for the uppers if you get tired of switching them.
also, youd get a lot more use out of a .308 than a .50 bmg or something huge like that. you can take pretty much anything in north america with a .308 if youre a decent shot and its a lot lighter/cheaper than pretty much any full sized rifle cartridge.
>>
>>30659906
You're probably right, I don't have too much huge game where I live (don't wanna say in case NSA lurkers try to pin the whole "shoulder the brace" thing). Do you think .308 will work okay for sniping? In the event of some crazy Red Dawn shit, Id like to be ready, Im just not familiar with the ballistics of .308 compared to 50bmg. I wanted to make .308 my standard round, replacing the .223/5.56, but my excoworker said there wasn't really any milspec for it, so it wasn't all that reliable and some parts didn't fit well.
>>
>>30659020
Why not just get an AR in .223 and a handgun in 9mm?
I can't really see any situation in which that wouldn't be enough.
>>
>>30659954
youre probably not going to be shooting at anything past 300m, realistically. .308 is easily deadly out to 800m.
>>
>>30659892
As someone who has done his fair share of MOUT and other kill house bullshit. A full-size AR is fine. Don't mask corners, pop aggressivly around them, and get stand off when entering thresholds so once again you cover the fatal front and dont expose your barrel before you're coming in
>>
File: 1429677144989.jpg (87 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1429677144989.jpg
87 KB, 600x600
>>30659841
>Id rather toss some barrels and uppers into a backpack than try to strap 4 seperate rifles onto a carrying strap
I hope you are trolling but in case you aren't:
You are not going to one man army during SHTF and carry around 3 fucking uppers with different mags and ammo for each in a backpack, that is for food, fresh socks, water and actually important stuff. You are not Doomguy carrying a perfect weapon for every corner. Choose something that works for most situations you might need it and do that well instead of a lot of things shitty.
You can replace the top three uppers on your list with just a 14.5", 16", or 20" 5.56. Any of these will work just fine for your 22lr, 9mm or "general assault rifle duties" (Protip: assault rifles were designed to be generalist, compromising to fill both SMG and battle rifle roles)
You do not need 50bmg holy shit. If you actually want to shoot at decent ranges/take out larger game humanely and quickly just get something in .308; an ar10, SCAR 17, g3, FAL etc. Considering you sound like you have little to no experience shooting, even making a 400 yard shot is going to be a miracle.
Also you can still take decent sized game with 5.56 you just have to shoot it a lot which is kind of a dick move when hunting but if your life is on the line you might have to be a dick.

tl;dr just get something in 5.56 and a 4 digits of ammo, also get a nice optic
>>
>>30659589
they're logical. no stock = not a rifle.
>>
>>30659959
EMP knocks down quick response and Russia puts boots down on the west coast, I try to GTFO with some boys but we get pinned down my a sniper on a 3 story building down the street. I have to get into a nearby store, let's say a 5 story bank HQ. I change the midrange .223 barrel and upper to 9mm, clear the building quickly with my friends, able to maneuver the cubicles because 7" short barreled weapon. Get to the top and realize the shooter is 200yrds away, shooting at movement (buddies drawing Fire) on second floor. It'd be nice to have a high caliber weapon capable of crossing the 200yrds with low drop, and able to pierce the AC unit he's hiding behind. It's not that I expect to need it, it'll be the last thing I buy, but it'd be nice.
>>
>>30660058
theyre not, at all. you can take a pistol, put a 16in barrel, then a stock on it, and its still a pistol.

the ATF has a history of interpreting the law however they feel that day and its starting to catch up with them.
>>
>>30660077
Sounds like some bad fanfiction

3/10 I replied twice
>>
>>30660055
Nigger Im not talking about camping for a year in the fucking mountains Im talking about getting away from hostile action, getting to water/safe zone/military base and getting the fuck away from there, I don't want to /k/ommando and entire Russian battalion, I just want to be able to pull through for a few days as necessary. With a decent map, a few water bottles, and some iodine tabs, I can locate safe water and hunt for food long enough to travel far enough to get away.
>>
>>30660077
>I change the midrange .223 barrel and upper to 9mm, clear the building quickly with my friends
could have been done with a 20" 5.56 upper, with a 14.5" easily

>a high caliber weapon capable of crossing the 200yrds
20" 5.56 will do this, 14.5" 5.56 will do this well enough

>pierce the AC unit he's hiding behind
you don't need to do this, you would suppress him and have your buddies move up

You are making this very complicated and need to think about things in terms of how real gunfights work and not about how that dumbfuck new shooter everyone was talking about two months ago works.
>>
>>30660165
Mate I live in an area with wild bison, I do not in any way wish to rely on a round known to not even be capable of killing terrorists in fallujah doped up on hashish in a single shot. Those fuckers run at like 40mph, I want to kill it in one hit and splatter 90% of its body mass across the field so I don't get fucking gored reloading my 17th mag of 5.56 banking off his massive fucking head. As for just suppressing a sniper, that sounds fucking awesome, except that it involves me shooting for a very long time while my friends move 2 buildings up and cover me as I do the same. Assuming the fucking sniper has a radio, there's going to be a much bigger threat very quickly, I don't have time to pin him down and skirt down the street.
>>
>>30660147
>getting to water/safe zone/military base
>a few water bottles
You are going to die, please bring plenty of cool useless shit so someone else can find it.
>>
>>30659020
>it's an old guy with money freaks out episode
>>
>>30660218
not gonna lie, I chuckled. But I have several camelbacks (Id probably just grab two packs and 5-6 water bottles, should be like 2.5-3 gallons) and CCC did a ton of work during the depression making man made lakes around me, the first one like 2 hours away on foot. Im sure the lakes as stream and super gross, but I'll take nasty ass lake water with iodine if it increases my chance my 2%. If you guys really think it's dumb, I'll drop 9mm, but there's no way I'm giving up .22 when I count on it to be a quiet, lightweight, hunting round for preserving the kill. Im 100% down to replace 50bmg with a smaller round, but there's no way I'm making 5.56/.223 my sole round when Marines complain about it from time to time.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.