[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best/Worst Ammo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Wolf 303 Keyhole.jpg (387 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Wolf 303 Keyhole.jpg
387 KB, 1536x2048
What's the best ammo you've ever used? The worst?

The best I've used is GP11. I'd heard that it was practically match grade, but I couldn't believe how much better it made shooting my K31. PPU soft point hasn't got shit on it.

On the other side of the spectrum, I shot some Wolf .303 out of my No 4 Mk 1 and I was not impressed. I fired three rounds - the first worked fine, the other two made the bolt really sticky and one resulted in an amazing keyhole (pic related). After that, I decided it wasn't worth potentially fucking my Enfield and stopped. I'd heard of the keyholing issue (I have a two-groove barrel) and figured it was worth a shot, but I hadn't read anything about sticky bolts. It does not stick when using PPU FMJ.
>>
File: dsdsdsds.png (276 KB, 1711x593) Image search: [Google]
dsdsdsds.png
276 KB, 1711x593
gp11 is pretty good, and god damn amazing as far as surplus goes
but it isn't match grade
no matter what wikipedia tells you
>>
>>30641206
Yeah, I know it may not technically qualify as match-grade, but I was impressed nonetheless. It makes me want to drop the money to get diopter sights for my K31.
>>
magtech worst
fiocchi best so far
>>
>>30641251
get dies and reload your privi brass if you do so
all the crazy youtube shots like those of Ernest Jiminez were done with handloads
>>
>>30641261
oh, and PPU only for rifles, all else is needlessly expensive for my use or shit.
>>
>>30641270
Yeah, I've been considering reloading for a while, but I'm frankly unsure where to get started. Seems there's a lot of shit to account for and it's a bit daunting. I might have to get into it, if only because of CA's bullshit ammo laws that just passed.
>>
>>30641292
Those ammo registry laws passed?
rest in peace my friend
leave while you still can
>>
>>30641146
I'm not sure what the best is, but the worst is some old 8x57 surplus - I'm not sure where it's from but it's labelled in Cyrillic and dated from the 1950s. I could not get a single round to actually fire, the primers appear to be completely dead. It's hard to get worse than that.
>>
>>30641302
Yep, it's ridiculous. I'm here for the next couple of years at least, but I think I'll try to move somewhere less expensive and more fun-friendly after that.
>>
>>30641358
turk 8mm mauser is almost all useless. 8/10 shots i fired were duds, one good round per clip.
>>
File: total-shit-Thumb.jpg (85 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
total-shit-Thumb.jpg
85 KB, 800x449
>>30641366
good luck
>>
When I bought my last Enfield I got 50 rounds of South African R1 M3Z ball from the 70s or 80s. It's a 174gr boat tail but with the original MkVII style lightened nose section, smokeless instead of cordite and non corrosive, milspec velocity. Hands down the best .303 surplus I've ever fired, as good or better than PPU FMJ and about 80fps faster according my chrony.

I've saved two rounds, one to keep in my collection and another if I ever want to pull it or section it.

That stuff matches my handloads for accuracy, but only when I use cheap PPU bullets. If I load with matchkings I get better results.
>>
>>30641398
Thanks, /k/omrade
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.